Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

Turtle 25-01-2015 11:56

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1130862)
Today in Pictures was a dull and dismal day, Birdy Brow to Hurst Green following what would have been the tree line if they hadn't cut them down. So never the less we managed to cut a few shapes.

1. With the sun low in the sky it illuminated the mist on the ground.
2. It was a dark day all round.
3. There were times when you could feel the temperature drop rapidly.
4. The tree fellers appear to go around old and mis-shaped copses.
5. The views have changed.
6. I suppose woodpeckers will take advantage of the standing damaged trees.
7. Where large areas have been levelled, self sown seeds germinate and race to dominate the sky.
8. But not here just yet.
9. You can see the new flush of pines heading to grow past the old stock.
10. The light is starting to go, and we have a way to go, by the time we were back at the car it was dark.

Considering the dull and dismal day, you still came up with dramatic and pleasing shots, davemac. Your comments help to tell the story of your walk - I find myself wondering why those trees were cut down.

davemac 25-01-2015 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1130907)
Considering the dull and dismal day, you still came up with dramatic and pleasing shots, davemac. Your comments help to tell the story of your walk - I find myself wondering why those trees were cut down.

They were planted initially by the Forestry Commission to provide a supply of timber, so their fate was always to be felled. It just comes as a shock when they have been there for as long as can be remembered, then they are not, but eventually they will be there again with the passage of time but I don't think I will see the dense canopy that was there prior to the felling operations.

maxthecollie 25-01-2015 14:07

Quote:

Today in Pictures was a dull and dismal day, Birdy Brow to Hurst Green following what would have been the tree line if they hadn't cut them down. So never the less we managed to cut a few shapes.

7. Where large areas have been levelled, self sown seeds germinate and race to dominate the sky.
10. The light is starting to go, and we have a way to go, by the time we were back at the car it was dark.

You been up Longridge Fell, Dave?

maxthecollie 25-01-2015 14:10

10 Attachment(s)
Attachment 46709Attachment 46710Attachment 46711Attachment 46712Attachment 46713Attachment 46714Attachment 46715Attachment 46716Attachment 46717Attachment 46718

A stroll around Roddlesworth Reservoirs today

maxthecollie 25-01-2015 14:13

Quote:

You can take dogs in the Eagle and Child in Hurst Green if you fancied a snack and a wet after your walk.

Turtle 25-01-2015 14:15

I like the B&W effect in #2. And you have some nice reflections there! My fave is #10 though :)

Turtle 25-01-2015 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1130917)
They were planted initially by the Forestry Commission to provide a supply of timber, so their fate was always to be felled. It just comes as a shock when they have been there for as long as can be remembered, then they are not, but eventually they will be there again with the passage of time but I don't think I will see the dense canopy that was there prior to the felling operations.

Thanks for explaining. I know that forests have to be 'managed', at least commercially planted ones, but I always wince at the sight of trees cut down.

maxthecollie 25-01-2015 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1130923)
Thanks for explaining. I know that forests have to be 'managed', at least commercially planted ones, but I always wince at the sight of trees cut down.

There has been a lot of new trees planted up on the Fell

DaveinGermany 25-01-2015 14:20

8 Attachment(s)
Not actually today, as today has been cancelled due to getting back here in the wee small hours (somewhere around 05:00 ish, yeah yeah, I know dirty stop outs that we is! :D)

Our trouveur for the evening, singerist, storyteller, wisecracker & generally an all round damned good Chappie, Chris Blevins - The House of ill repute were we wastrels wiled away our time - And again in close up - The Pubs namesake guardian at its portals - I would say the three wise Monkeys, but without the wise ...... yeah, definitely without the wise, as the wise was taking the piccys :D - Meanwhile back to the warm - Oh hey Hen, ya wantin wa, och saussitches, aye, right ye are Hen! Rab C McWilliams - Meine Host, in the ubiquitous "See yu Jimma!" bonne't.

shillelagh 26-01-2015 00:21

10 Attachment(s)
these were took last Thursday and Friday ... I know its a few days later but it was a case of I took to many photos, ive been doing doggy day care and its took me this long to get em all sorted out ... :p its Victoria park in haslingden, st James's graveyard in haslingden, down bash lines and a wander around rising bridge ...

davemac 26-01-2015 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1130919)
You been up Longridge Fell, Dave?

I was, from birdy right across to Hurst Green, a two car operation with three dogs, all of whom were very muddy when we got back.

maxthecollie 26-01-2015 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1131008)
I was, from birdy right across to Hurst Green, a two car operation with three dogs, all of whom were very muddy when we got back.

We usually park on the small car park on the road from Birdy Brow to Longridge, nearer to Hurst Green.It is more central. Did you see Blackpool Tower from the top of the Fell?

DtheP47 26-01-2015 09:00

7 Attachment(s)
The new Whalley Hydro scheme yesterday.
Pity we haven't that volume of water in the "Stink" to harness.

davemac 26-01-2015 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1131015)
We usually park on the small car park on the road from Birdy Brow to Longridge, nearer to Hurst Green.It is more central. Did you see Blackpool Tower from the top of the Fell?

We didnt take the ridge walk we went along the path that leads directly back to the road.

davemac 26-01-2015 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1131019)
The new Whalley Hydro scheme yesterday.
Pity we haven't that volume of water in the "Stink" to harness.

Why is it a pity, I wouldnt want one of those in Hyndburn.