Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

susie123 09-07-2012 21:00

Re: Today in pictures

9 Attachment(s)
The sky at night, from your Morecambe correspondent... about 9.15pm.

Apologies, couldn't help bits of window frame in some of the shots - the attic this time, not the loo!

The first three pics are looking over Lancaster towards the Bowland hills, the others are over Morecambe Bay.

susie123 09-07-2012 21:02

2 Attachment(s)
Two more, high in the sky.

maxthecollie 09-07-2012 21:04

you actually got the sunto set nicely for you tonight. Too dull in Accy.

susie123 09-07-2012 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1001981)
you actually got the sunto set nicely for you tonight. Too dull in Accy.

Just luck that I happened to be looking out the window at the right time. It was actually better a few minutes earlier but there was a camera malfunction and I had to do a bit of tweaking before I could take any pics.

davemac 09-07-2012 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1001978)
I'm impressed with your wildflower knowledge today Dave... Just to say I think the wild potentillas are usually called cinquefoils.

That is one dirty dog - hope you didn't get so mucky - otherwise me and Mrs P might be paying you that visit like she threatened yesterday!

Its not down to knowledge, its searching for the right flower on identification guides.

I actually had a damp posterior and mucky knees (I was in shorts as Mrs. P. will confirm). You cant get closeup shots without getting down with the flora. So I'm braced ready.

davemac 09-07-2012 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1001979)
The sky at night, from your Morecambe correspondent... about 9.15pm.

Apologies, couldn't help bits of window frame in some of the shots - the attic this time, not the loo!

The first three pics are looking over Lancaster towards the Bowland hills, the others are over Morecambe Bay.

I cant compete with the sunset pictures, nice colours, couldn't see the window frame at all, looked like buildings, so If you hadn't said we wouldn't have known.

susie123 09-07-2012 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1001993)
I cant compete with the sunset pictures, nice colours, couldn't see the window frame at all, looked like buildings, so If you hadn't said we wouldn't have known.

Bottom RH corner, pics 5 and 6...

davemac 10-07-2012 18:51

10 Attachment(s)
Part 1. Today in Pictures. A familiar walk not so familiar perspective.

1. Its been raining ...again
2. The snails are moving to higher ground. What does that tell you.
3. Its a wood louse coming down a wall.
4. A quick butchers down the canal.
5. Another butchers over to the Nab.
6. I think that one is caramel flavour.............it wasn't...........it was snail flavour.
7. Flowers on the lime trees overhanging the towpath.
8. Willow Herb flower.
9. A look over to Pendle Hill.
10. Moss on a wall, with fruiting bodies.

davemac 10-07-2012 19:11

10 Attachment(s)
Part 2. Today in Pictures, the second batch start with creepy crawlies.

11. Its watching me.
12. Sit...Sit...Shake a paw.
13. Thats my aunty.
14. familiar scene but later in the season, and without buttercups.
15. Nearest I can get is Sweet Cicely, but not definite.
16. Another I cant identify, its so small its hardly visible to the casual glance.
17. I used to have a haircut like that.
18. St. Marys Graveyard, with a view to the Petre Family vault.
19. Sphagnum moss on a wall.
20. View across the field from a corner of the graveyard.

davemac 10-07-2012 19:17

5 Attachment(s)
Part 3. Today in Pictures, almost time for the journey home.

21.Pine tree bark, with my nose pressed against it.
22. Is it safe to park on the bend?
23. Its a race, chase me.
24. Does my bum look big in this?
25. Tigg, your on.

Margaret Pilkington 10-07-2012 19:20

Some brilliant pics there Dave.
I would love to be able to take pictures of insects, but if I am honest they scare the britches off me(I'm a wuss and am afraid they might bite me sting me or worse...run up my trouser leg). I don't mind snails, but slugs are repugnant....another 'boy' thing I guess.
I chickened out today.....the tinlids got mini laptops for getting brilliant school reports, so I was loading them with music, pictures, videos, word processor programs and a couple of games.
I was flavour of the month when they got home from school.

Margaret Pilkington 10-07-2012 19:22

Love 21..but you knew I would didn't you?
Pattern, colour, texture. Great stuff.

susie123 10-07-2012 19:33

Great selection today Dave, especially the slugs and snails! Oh... and the woodlouse is my favourite!

I would say that is definitely not sweet cicely, that flowers much earlier and will have set seeds by now. Easy to recognise when you do fiind it (I have it in my garden, cook it with rhubarb as a sweetener instead of adding a lot of sugar). The leaves smell of aniseed when crushed, and the seeds are about an inch long and taste of aniseed - good to chew if you have an upset stomach.

Having said all that, not easy to work out what it is, could be wild carrot, fool's parsley, hedge parsley etc. Withe umbellifers a lot depends on leaf shape, flower bracts etc - things that need a close scrutiny.

Margaret Pilkington 10-07-2012 19:39

I am definitely going to look out for an Observer book of British wild flowers........it would be useful and I would share it with Dave.

davemac 10-07-2012 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1002143)
Some brilliant pics there Dave.
I would love to be able to take pictures of insects, but if I am honest they scare the britches off me(I'm a wuss and am afraid they might bite me sting me or worse...run up my trouser leg). I don't mind snails, but slugs are repugnant....another 'boy' thing I guess.
I chickened out today.....the tinlids got mini laptops for getting brilliant school reports, so I was loading them with music, pictures, videos, word processor programs and a couple of games.
I was flavour of the month when they got home from school.

I went out ready for the rain, but it stopped fine the whole way around. It was warm actually. I think there is always the camera between myself and the wickies, and if a slug ran up my leg it would have to get past my bike clips first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1002144)
Love 21..but you knew I would didn't you?
Pattern, colour, texture. Great stuff.

It was me trying abstract, I walked around the tree for a while until I found the right bit, good job there was no one about