Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2013, 20:02   #5551
Beacon of light

Re: Today in pictures

I didn't get time to put in the titles for the last three pics....here goes:
8) I don't know what this building is, but I love it.
9) Yummy stuff...but all adds to the waistline.
10) Fungi - not sure what kind of fungi, but Dave will be along in a minute and I just know he will know what they are
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2013, 20:08   #5552
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

2) A little night music - except tit was the middle of the day.
That should read...'except it was the middle of the day'
What an unfortunate typo.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 21:08   #5553
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It`ll be bluebells and buttercups again before you know it.
I am hoping for a few frosty and snowy shots first, although its nice to look forward to warmer times.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 21:14   #5554
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I am hoping for a few frosty and snowy shots first, although its nice to look forward to warmer times.
Me to, there was a lovely frosty view of pendle hill in my rear view mirror earlier this week, hopefully something similar this weekend when I might get a closer look.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 21:14   #5555
Senior Member+

Quote:
Out and about a bit today...on my own in Manchester with just my camera.
What a 'brill' day I had. Never spent a penny(well, not exactly true - I had to 'go' in the John Rylands Library...but it was FREE).
Hope you like the pics of my day.
I won't get into trouble this time...only ten for you.
1) singing a song...and very melodic it was too!
3) Bridal attendants - I am reluctant to call them maids. A Wedding today At St Anne's Church
4) The bride...she looked very nervous...well, she was about to tie a knot with her tongue that she wouldn't ever undo with her teeth.
5) what is the collective noun for a group of Santa's?
6) I like this.
7) inside John Rylands Library
An interesting range of subjects,......... music, marriage, men, museums and mushrooms.
Old 22-11-2013, 21:17   #5556
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Me to, there was a lovely frosty view of pendle hill in my rear view mirror earlier this week, hopefully something similar this weekend when I might get a closer look.
I noticed it as well, I was driving to Altham early doors, and a bit pushed to pause for a shot, it was very clear and cold day.
Old 22-11-2013, 21:28   #5557
Senior Member+

Quote:
I noticed it as well, I was driving to Altham early doors, and a bit pushed to pause for a shot, it was very clear and cold day.
It was one of those many moments i`ve had recently when i wished that eyes were cameras.
Old 22-11-2013, 21:42   #5558

Quote:
Today in Pictures is a walk along the Woodnook Vale trail, or thowd railway line to Bash. With dips down to the Clough bottom.

1. Setting off up the trail.
2. Dipping down, literally, to the bridge that takes you over to Priestly Clough side.
3. Dipping down again further up, This waterfall is adjacent to Rothwell House, it used to have a bridge over until it mysteriously "fell down". The local scuttle is that the farmer knocked it down to stop people walking past the front of his farm, it worked.
4. The upstream view from what was once the bridge.
5. Back on the Vale, looking across to the other hillside, this would be in the area of Bedlam/Green Haworth.
6. Looking back down the path we have just travelled up.
7. "Five Arches" is as far as we go today, its now back down along the waters edge.
8. Not sure of the function here, it looks like it used to take the stream over another stream, but this is an area of heavy industrial use, factories, Mills and a Mine to name a few.
9. The bridge over Shoe Mill.
10. Here we are back on the Vale and down to the car.
Just catching up on viewing photos - wow, I wouldn't have recognized the old waterfall next to Rothwell House! It looks so much smaller than I remember it. Of course, I'm so much bigger now myself. It's all relative I suppose.
When you say it's rumoured that the farmer tore the bridge down, do you mean the occupant of the house, or the farmer who lived on top of the hill? Just curious.
Thanks for braving the slutchy conditions - great shots.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 21:51   #5559

Quote:
Out and about a bit today...on my own in Manchester with just my camera.
What a 'brill' day I had. Never spent a penny(well, not exactly true - I had to 'go' in the John Rylands Library...but it was FREE).
Hope you like the pics of my day.
I won't get into trouble this time...only ten for you.
1) singing a song...and very melodic it was too!
3) Bridal attendants - I am reluctant to call them maids. A Wedding today At St Anne's Church
4) The bride...she looked very nervous...well, she was about to tie a knot with her tongue that she wouldn't ever undo with her teeth.
5) what is the collective noun for a group of Santa's?
6) I like this.
7) inside John Rylands Library
I just love the santas in #5 (don't know the word, though). The interior of the library is a gorgeous shot, and the reflections in the building would be great for Photo Comp.24, except you already have some stellar shots there!
Old 22-11-2013, 21:52   #5560

Quote:
That should read...'except it was the middle of the day'
What an unfortunate typo.
I thought tit was funny, but didn't want to say anything for fear of making a boob out of myself.
Old 22-11-2013, 21:55   #5561
Senior Member+

Time to pert it behind you now.
Old 22-11-2013, 21:57   #5562
Senior Member+

these puns are starting to rack up.
Turtle likes this.
Old 23-11-2013, 01:25   #5563
Resting In Peace

John Rylands library - my idea of a building, inside and out. Bet it's got some great knockers on the doors.
Old 23-11-2013, 06:33   #5564
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Just catching up on viewing photos - wow, I wouldn't have recognized the old waterfall next to Rothwell House! It looks so much smaller than I remember it. Of course, I'm so much bigger now myself. It's all relative I suppose.
When you say it's rumoured that the farmer tore the bridge down, do you mean the occupant of the house, or the farmer who lived on top of the hill? Just curious.
Thanks for braving the slutchy conditions - great shots.
The occupant of Rothwell house, don't want to name the farmer, but he guarded his land by getting the footpath that went passed the front of the house closed, the bridge fell down. He then fenced off his land and guarded it with enthusiasm. I have spoken to people who had dogs shot for going on his land to walk. I had some contact with him myself through work, and his access to the property, it was very difficult at the time to get the police to attend.

The waterfall had more water going over it than usual due to overnight rain, but was easier to view as the leaves and weeds had died back.
mobertol likes this.
Old 23-11-2013, 07:04   #5565
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Some older photographs I found of the waterfall and Rothwell House .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frozen Waterfall Rothwell House 1962.jpg (204.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Rothwell House Winter c 1962.jpg (426.7 KB, 13 views)
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..