Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2013, 23:38   #1

Telephone Landline Problem

Hello Accy webbers, I am having great problems resolving my mum's telephone land line problem. Back on the Thursday 20th June, i tried to ring my mum to tell her i was on my way to visit her, the phone was answered by 'another' woman, which worried me at first, but it turned out that i had got through to a local Public House in the Hyndburn area, which will remain nameless so as not to give both telephone numbers away.
It turn's out that the pub had just moved from B.T. to VIRGIN MEDIA. So straight away i rang B.T. to tell them the problem, (their call centre is in INDIA).
They took my mobile number as a means of calling back, because my mums phone will now not send or receive calls. B.T. rang my mobile whilst i was at work, and because i didn't answer they CANCELLED the problem, this i found out when i phoned them to see what they had called me for. So they re instated the issue, and apologised for cancelling. They told me the problem should be sorted by Thursday 27th June, they rang me on that date to ask me if the phone line was working, i told them i didn't know as i was at work, but i assumed it had been sorted, so i rang my mums number and got through to the pub again.
So it meant another phone call to B.T. i told them the problem hadn't been resolved, and i also asked them why they couldn't ring the number themselves !!! They apologised, and said they are still sorting the problem. They even told me the number of cubical my mums phone is in at the telephone exchange.
Its now Sunday 30th June and the problem is still there.
ANY SUGGESTIONS on what step to take next?
Also does anyone know where the telephone exchange is for Accrington ?
Is it the building near the Brooks Club ?
Thanks for taking time for reading this...
Old 29-06-2013, 23:40   #2

Re: Telephone Landline Problem

The pub and my mums number are consecutive numbers by the way
Old 30-06-2013, 00:47   #3

One last thing my mum is 83 years young and NEEDS her phone, she lives on her own, and doesn't have a mobile phone. These points have been STRESSED to B.T.
Old 30-06-2013, 07:15   #4
Senior Member+

Accy telephone exchange is by Brooks Club
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 07:23   #5
Senior Member+

Ask one of their van drivers the name of the senior man at Acc then go in and ask for him or his secretary. Don't come away without his number. The van man will likely give you the number of the Accrington customer complaints dept.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 00:38   #6

At 83 years old your Mum should be registered as a "vulnerable person" with BT. This means that if her phone breaks down it should be repaired as soon as possible in case she needs to call the doctor or an ambulance. When my elderly mother was alive I changed for a short time to TalkTalk but soon changed back to BT when TalkTalk didn't provide the "vulnerable person" service. I once rang and they said it would be five days. When I left them to go to BT I never got my last month's direct debit payment refunded - they took it after I'd left them.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
At 83 years old your Mum should be registered as a "vulnerable person" with BT. This means that if her phone breaks down it should be repaired as soon as possible in case she needs to call the doctor or an ambulance. When my elderly mother was alive I changed for a short time to TalkTalk but soon changed back to BT when TalkTalk didn't provide the "vulnerable person" service. I once rang and they said it would be five days. When I left them to go to BT I never got my last month's direct debit payment refunded - they took it after I'd left them.
I've been registered of ages Judith, but I also have the use of the emergency call button, provide in HH properties, if only it did what it says on the label
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 13:37   #8
God Member

bt/open reach are useless at best

when my neigbour moved in he got a telephone line installed

BT engineers litterally cut my line and attatched it to his house

whemn i returned home he not only had my phone line and telephone number he had my internet.It took them 2 weeks to come out and fix it and that was after a lot of swearing at them because they at first said up to 6 weeks

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:47   #9

Update... B.T. Have now given me a phone number for a call centre in Milton Keynes, they have also given me a pin number so that the MK people can read up and i don't have to explain what's the problem is again. Not too hopeful that it'll get fixed though. Sounds like its gonna be a while b4 my mum can use her phone again.
THANKS AGAIN 4 ALL YOUR RESPONSES, MUCH APPRECIATED.
cashman likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:09   #10
Resting in Peace

Have you tried the other way and gone through Virgin Media ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Have you tried the other way and gone through Virgin Media ?
Have tried going through Virgin but no good.
Just going to persist with B.T. 15 days and counting, nobody has been to the exchange yet to check the wiring. Looking at getting a new supplier
Old 05-07-2013, 22:03   #12
Senior Member+

Did you take Judiths advice in post #6, register her as a vulnerable person.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 22:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Did you take Judiths advice in post #6, register her as a vulnerable person.
they asked certain questions which meant my mum isn't considered vulnerable. I've told them to just get on with sorting it out, at the same time i have told them we are looking at changing supplier of the land line. I have challenged them to get it sorted before we find an alternative.
Old 11-07-2013, 17:59   #14

the phone line is now working, but it's got a different number, if you ring the old number it still goes to the pub !!!
Old 15-07-2013, 20:32   #15

B.T. rang my mum to say the phone line was working, but they never said anything about it being a new number, so i rang B.T. in Milton Keynes to see how they reacted. Milton Keynes put me through to CUSTOMER SERVICES, they apologised for not telling my mum about the number change, i was thinking the woman talking to me sounded 'northern' she then put me through to a colleague to discuss compensation for not having a phone line for 3 weeks, again the woman i spoke to had a northern accent, so i asked where she was located, it turns out B.T.'s customer service is based at The Globe Centre, so all my troubles have taken me to India, MK and good old ACCRINGTON.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..