Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/rock-around-the-clock-bill-haley-52765.html)

Alan Gilmartin 22-04-2010 08:17

Re: Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley

Old names in music, come to mind, The Vernons girls ( Ladybirds,). The Brooks Brothers, Don Lang, Terry Dean, Jim Dale.

AccyGirl 22-04-2010 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 808801)
Old names in music, come to mind, The Vernons girls ( Ladybirds,). The Brooks Brothers, Don Lang, Terry Dean, Jim Dale.

I remember going to the The Kings Hall in Blackburn 1962/63 to see Little Eva, Brooks Brothers and Bobby Rydell.....great show:theband:

jaysay 23-04-2010 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 808998)
I remember going to the The Kings Hall in Blackburn 1962/63 to see Little Eva, Brooks Brothers and Bobby Rydell.....great show:theband:

Think the best show at King Georges Hall in Blackburn was The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, and Roy Orbison, all for about 3 shillings and sixpence :mosher:

AccyGirl 23-04-2010 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 809480)
Think the best show at King Georges Hall in Blackburn was The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, and Roy Orbison, all for about 3 shillings and sixpence :mosher:

wowow what a line up...wish I had seen that one.....
oopss and sorry I got the name of the Hall wrong..of course it is King Georges Hall.....I also remember going to a New Years Eve dance there..I think 1962..

Barrie Yates 23-04-2010 15:45

Quote:

I saw the first US band to come over after the ban was lifted - Duke Ellington (I think), at the King George's - whoever it was, it was pretty good compared with the English bands - Frankie Laine at Blackpool Opera House was also pretty good. Reckon that must have been about '54 or so.

cashman 23-04-2010 18:30

Quote:

that would be 62/63 the big "O"was the headliner when i saw it n the beatles were nowt but up n coming.:)

jaysay 24-04-2010 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 809580)
that would be 62/63 the big "O"was the headliner when i saw it n the beatles were nowt but up n coming.:)

Stop on cashy think the had just released Love Me Do when they appeared and G and the P I Like It

Alan Gilmartin 28-04-2010 07:20

I went to that as well. People dont believe over here when I tell them. , As well as all the other groups we used to see, at the Imperial, Astoria, Burnley Mecca, Con, Cavern , The Wheel, They say if you remamber the 60s you wernt there , well I certainly bloody was and I remember, fantastic, Put kettle on mother. At least we have lived to tell the tale.

jaysay 28-04-2010 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 810700)
I went to that as well. People dont believe over here when I tell them. , As well as all the other groups we used to see, at the Imperial, Astoria, Burnley Mecca, Con, Cavern , The Wheel, They say if you remamber the 60s you wernt there , well I certainly bloody was and I remember, fantastic, Put kettle on mother. At least we have lived to tell the tale.

Well I remember the 60s too Alan, maybe because I never tried whacky backy, or bombers, uppers and downers, I was a big enough head-the-ball with Ale and fags, let alone out else:D

cashman 28-04-2010 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 810720)
Well I remember the 60s too Alan, maybe because I never tried whacky backy, or bombers, uppers and downers, I was a big enough head-the-ball with Ale and fags, let alone out else:D

i remember a fair bit, rest is "Flashbacks":D dunno how the hell i survived, bet some on here wish i hadn't.:D

jaysay 29-04-2010 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 810936)
i remember a fair bit, rest is "Flashbacks":D dunno how the hell i survived, bet some on here wish i hadn't.:D

Bet some on here wish you hadn't cashy:eek::eek::eek: and you a first class gent and genteel soul to boot:rolleyes::D

accybill 01-05-2010 18:25

It was at the Ritz in Church street, remember it well - jiving in the isles......when we managed to evade the management.

If memory serves me right it was next door to what was Barnes showroom?

Stephanie Wallace 02-05-2010 08:53

Danced to Ray Ellington in Burnley-came home on the back of someone's truck-happy days!

keith higson 03-07-2010 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 809536)
I saw the first US band to come over after the ban was lifted - Duke Ellington (I think), at the King George's - whoever it was, it was pretty good compared with the English bands - Frankie Laine at Blackpool Opera House was also pretty good. Reckon that must have been about '54 or so.

I believe (not the song Conway Twitty sang) that Frankie Laine was at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool in the mid 50's, and if I remeber correctly he wore a "Midnight Blue" gaberdine suit with a link button and rolled collar. I tried to get one at Burtons but could'nt, had to settle for a grey one.

Barrie Yates 03-07-2010 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith higson (Post 826010)
I believe (not the song Conway Twitty sang) that Frankie Laine was at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool in the mid 50's, and if I remeber correctly he wore a "Midnight Blue" gaberdine suit with a link button and rolled collar. I tried to get one at Burtons but could'nt, had to settle for a grey one.

Pretty sure you had the venue right - like you, could not get midnight blue so went the other way and got a very light grey one - showed every B mark, but I felt good wearing it.