Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/rock-around-the-clock-bill-haley-52765.html)

steeljack 03-07-2010 07:14

Re: Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley

Burtons, circa 1968 (opposite the deck) in Accrington used to make/supply "made to measure" suits for 7/6d a week, Blue pin stripe suits with a 10"/12" center vent , red lining......... dont think I'm alone in thinking that I was the only youngster/apprentice in Accy who who ever turned for for Sunday morning overtime from God knows where wearing his" best" suit

south aussie 03-07-2010 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 826021)
Burtons, circa 1968 (opposite the deck) in Accrington used to make/supply "made to measure" suits for 7/6d a week, Blue pin stripe suits with a 10"/12" center vent , red lining......... dont think I'm alone in thinking that I was the only youngster/apprentice in Accy who who ever turned for for Sunday morning overtime from God knows where wearing his" best" suit

If you were like me your '' best suit'' was your only suit.

Apprentice wages did not stretch too far.
How much did we earn in1968?
Must have been about 9 or 10 quid.

jaysay 03-07-2010 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 826091)

Quite right SA I had two suits my best one and my birthday one:D

jaysay 03-07-2010 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 826091)

Talking of wages, when I started work in 1962 as an happyrentice joiner I was on 7d an hour I think, for a 46hr week so that was £1-6s-10d for the week, oh the good old days:D

Alan Gilmartin 04-07-2010 06:13

2 Attachment(s)
Got all my suits made at Erni Mcknoes near the bridge on Blackburn Rd. These suits were as sharp as a razor, he must have made a fortune from the all us Mods in the 60s.

jaysay 04-07-2010 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 826255)
Got all my suits made at Erni Mcknoes near the bridge on Blackburn Rd. These suits were as sharp as a razor, he must have made a fortune from the all us Mods in the 60s.

I had a tailor who worked from home he lived on Blackburn Road Accy near the Hyndburn Pub top of Monk Street I think, he was called Ricky, was at one time manager at the Coop tailors department in Ossy where the new church is now. He'd make you a suit for any price, it was p to you, but he was first rate at his trade, I had many a suit of him

Alan Gilmartin 06-07-2010 07:24

Once bought a jacket from Moffits, next day saw Issacs in one like it, must say I felt pretty cool. Also bought a lot of clothes from Kurtis menswear, on Fountain St, Manchester and Harry Fentons in Blackburn, so did Wynonnie,

Wynonie Harris 06-07-2010 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 826700)
Once bought a jacket from Moffits, next day saw Issacs in one like it, must say I felt pretty cool. Also bought a lot of clothes from Kurtis menswear, on Fountain St, Manchester and Harry Fentons in Blackburn, so did Wynonnie,

Harry Fenton's, Blackburn, now you're talking, Al! Bought loads of clobber from there...flared hipster trousers, shirts with big high button-down collars, kipper ties, Regency style double breasted jackets. Thought I looked the bee's knees, but probably looked a right prat! :D

garinda 06-07-2010 13:52

Did Dusty Springfield ever play in Accy?

My late Aunt Ros said they did, but never had any confirmation.

Would be pretty early sixties.

Might even have been when she was with her brother in The Springfields.

garinda 06-07-2010 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826748)
Did Dusty Springfield ever play in Accy?

My late Aunt Ros said they did, but never had any confirmation.

Would be pretty early sixties.

Might even have been when she was with her brother in The Springfields.

Think she might have said they played the Con.

garinda 06-07-2010 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 826255)

Saw this story, and thought it might be of interest to an old Mod.

A LANDMARK hotel is being re-launched as a Northern Soul and Motown venue following a revamp to restore its former glory.
In the 1960s, hordes of ‘mods’ flocked to Burnley’s Keirby Park Hotel every week to sample one of the country’s best sprung dancefloors.

Soul revamp for Burnley hotel (From Lancashire Telegraph)

jaysay 06-07-2010 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826749)
Think she might have said they played the Con.

Can't remember her ever playing the Con G with or without the Springfields, and it was in my era when they changed from Big Band at the Con to Groups and records, Monday night was Bernard Presents

garinda 06-07-2010 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826759)
Can't remember her ever playing the Con G with or without the Springfields, and it was in my era when they changed from Big Band at the Con to Groups and records, Monday night was Bernard Presents

But didn't they have pop bands as well?
I'm sure she said she saw Herman's Hermits there.
Perhaps I'm wrong, and it wasn't the Con, but she definitely told me she saw those in Accy.

jaysay 06-07-2010 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826761)
But didn't they have pop bands as well?
I'm sure she said she saw Herman's Hermits there.
Perhaps I'm wrong, and it wasn't the Con, but she definitely told me she saw those in Accy.

That's what I said, Herman's Hermits, Four Pennies (the Lionel Morton Four in those days) Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Freddie and the Dreamers, can't remember Dusty though G.

cashman 06-07-2010 15:12

had quite a few Top Line bands up the con, Wayne Fontana @ Mindbenders, Four Pennies, spring to mind, but can't remember Dusty or the Springfields, appearing anywhere in accy rindy.:confused: Johnny Kidd @ Pirates were on at the Vic in clayton le moors along wi others, possibly down yon, never went more n a couple of times.:confused: