Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/rock-around-the-clock-bill-haley-52765.html)

jaysay 07-07-2010 10:33

Re: Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 826908)
Thought that was rather obvious- I was a gentleman, you were a Drunkard.:D

:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger Up yours:D:D:D

Alan Gilmartin 08-07-2010 23:52

Used to drink in the Kierby in Burnley, but cant remember any dances for Mods, the place to be was the Mecca across the road, better than Blackburn, it was great, monday nights, it was a toss up Accy Con or Burnley mecca. We might have looked like prats now Wyn, but not then. Cant recall Dusty playing Accy at any time, she might have played Cranberry Fold in Darren.

jaysay 09-07-2010 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827293)
Used to drink in the Keirby in Burnley, but cant remember any dances for Mods, the place to be was the Mecca across the road, better than Blackburn, it was great, monday nights, it was a toss up Accy Con or Burnley mecca. We might have looked like prats now Wyn, but not then. Cant recall Dusty playing Accy at any time, she might have played Cranberry Fold in Darren.

You could well be right about Cranberry Alan, think the world an his wife appeared there at one time or another, maybe that's where Gs aunt saw her

garinda 09-07-2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 827331)
You could well be right about Cranberry Alan, think the world an his wife appeared there at one time or another, maybe that's where Gs aunt saw her

Could be.

I've joined a couple of forums for Dustettes, and asked if she ever played Accy, or in the close vicinity, in the hope a fanatic has a list of all the venues she toured at.

Nothing so far.

jaysay 09-07-2010 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 827338)
Could be.

I've joined a couple of forums for Dustettes, and asked if she ever played Accy, or in the close vicinity, in the hope a fanatic has a list of all the venues she toured at.

Nothing so far.

She could have done Nelson Imp, or Rawtenstall Astoria, but if anywhere Cranberry would be favourite

Wynonie Harris 09-07-2010 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827293)
Used to drink in the Kierby in Burnley, but cant remember any dances for Mods, the place to be was the Mecca across the road, better than Blackburn, it was great, monday nights, it was a toss up Accy Con or Burnley mecca. We might have looked like prats now Wyn, but not then. Cant recall Dusty playing Accy at any time, she might have played Cranberry Fold in Darren.

No, I don't remember owt in the Kierby, Al. Burnley Mecca was the place to be, or Accy Con if they had a good band on like the Richard Kent Style.

Barrie Yates 09-07-2010 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 827363)
No, I don't remember owt in the Kierby, Al. Burnley Mecca was the place to be, or Accy Con if they had a good band on like the Richard Kent Style.

I think it was the Empress in Burnley and the Imperial in Nelson, Astoria in Rawtenstall in my day - and it was Eddie McGuire up the Con

Alan Gilmartin 10-07-2010 06:47

I think it was Eddie McGarry Barrie.

jaysay 10-07-2010 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827581)

I was going to correct Barrie but thought better of it Alan;):D was also going to throw in Bob Whatmouth Too:rolleyes:

Barrie Yates 10-07-2010 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827581)

Quite right Wyn, lost a few more grey cells yesterday. Do remember Watmough, thought he started playing when he was still at AGS - Bob can probably advise on that.

MoreJoe 30-11-2010 20:02

Garinda was correct.
I can confirm seeing Dusty Springfield at the Accrington Con.
I saw her up close and was fairly shocked at the amount of makeup used to cover complexion issues.
I also saw the Lionel Morton Four +1
The piano was not amplified and no matter how hard the poor SOB hit the keys, no one could hear him over the accompanying chords from the electric guitars.

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by More Joe (Post 865848)
Garinda was correct.
I can confirm seeing Dusty Springfield at the Accrington Con.
I saw her up close and was fairly shocked at the amount of makeup used to cover complexion issues.
I also saw the Lionel Morton Four +1
The piano was not amplified and no matter how hard the poor SOB hit the keys, no one could hear him over the accompanying chords from the electric guitars.

I was a regular every Saturday and Monday (Bernard Presents) nights from 62 to 68 and I can't remember Dusty appearing, Lionel Morton four were resident for a time on Mondays, remember the +1 pianist can still picture him, nearly sure he was an Accy Lad and lived in the Willows Lane area, but can't remember his name for the live in me.

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865918)
I was a regular every Saturday and Monday (Bernard Presents) nights from 62 to 68 and I can't remember Dusty appearing, Lionel Morton four were resident for a time on Mondays, remember the +1 pianist can still picture him, nearly sure he was an Accy Lad and lived in the Willows Lane area, but can't remember his name for the live in me.

Just looked on wikipedia and there's no mention of a pianist what-so-ever

MoreJoe 01-12-2010 18:15

The +1 piano player was definitely a pupil at the Grammar School. I think Lionel used him as an experiment for some piano based hits of the time. I think that ended quite quickly and they became the Four Pennies.

jaysay 01-12-2010 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreJoe (Post 866048)
The +1 piano player was definitely a pupil at the Grammar School. I think Lionel used him as an experiment for some piano based hits of the time. I think that ended quite quickly and they became the Four Pennies.

I know he didn't last long, but seem to remember him going on to write lots of music