Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/rock-around-the-clock-bill-haley-52765.html)

garinda 29-11-2011 18:30

Re: Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreJoe (Post 865848)
Garinda was correct.
I can confirm seeing Dusty Springfield at the Accrington Con.
I saw her up close and was fairly shocked at the amount of makeup used to cover complexion issues.
I also saw the Lionel Morton Four +1
The piano was not amplified and no matter how hard the poor SOB hit the keys, no one could hear him over the accompanying chords from the electric guitars.

Wow.

Thank you!

My Aunt Ros, was right, and so was my memory, because I was sure she said it was at the Accy Con.

I was away when you posted this, and only saw it whilst noseying through your old posts, after Eric said he'd been talking to you.

Thank you so much.

:)

cashman 29-11-2011 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreJoe (Post 866048)
The +1 piano player was definitely a pupil at the Grammar School. I think Lionel used him as an experiment for some piano based hits of the time. I think that ended quite quickly and they became the Four Pennies.

Nah then,me memorys not great,but which came first? 1.The Lionel Morton 4 or 2. The Four Pennies? i think its the order i printed,but wouldn't stake me life on it.

jaysay 29-11-2011 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 952825)
Nah then,me memorys not great,but which came first? 1.The Lionel Morton 4 or 2. The Four Pennies? i think its the order i printed,but wouldn't stake me life on it.

Lionel Morton Four definately cashy, then Lional Morton 4 + 1, then the Four Pennies

jaysay 29-11-2011 18:56

Reading this thread has reminded me of somat, cashy mention Bill Haley next time I see you I've an album I want to show you

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 07-02-2012 17:59

It was the Ritz & the police had dogs on guard in case we "rioted"

Stephanie Wallace 11-02-2012 04:09

I danced to Duke Ellington in Burnley - missed the last bus home so got a ride on the back of a truck. Don't know who ownd the truck. - Great night!

jaysay 11-02-2012 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephanie Wallace (Post 969623)
I danced to Duke Ellington in Burnley - missed the last bus home so got a ride on the back of a truck. Don't know who ownd the truck. - Great night!

Did your mum not tell you about excepting a lift from strangers:D

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 11-02-2012 13:42

It was definitely the RITZ, I remember the police dogs.:cool::cool::cool:

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 02-06-2013 16:39

It was at the Ritz & there were police dogs at the back near the exit

umpire 20-08-2013 09:27

Sure it was before then, I used to help out at the Paladium and we took out the first four rows from the stalls to allow dancing, that was the only way the licencing comittee would allow us to show it. (fire regs and suchlike) saved the place from bingo for a while.

Gee 06-07-2018 15:30

Remember going with my mum then saw him live at the Nelson Imperial.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 03-08-2019 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 806577)
Can anybody remember going to see the film 'Rock Around The Clock' with Bill Haley..in the 1950's it was shown at either the Kings Hall or the Ritz..not sure which one..but I lived in Crawshaw Street and my friends were Barbara Gudgeon and Lily Smith, (does anybody know them, would love to make contact again),
we danced in the streets all the way home...that film seem to change our lives.

I saw it at the Ritz,they had some police with dogs patrolling heaven knows why.