Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 17:34   #76
Full Member+

Re: What did you watch when you was a nipper?

There were some brilliant horse opera's (Western Series) on TV in the 1960's 70's and 80's. Cheyenne, Hondo, The Virginian, and High Chaparal, to name but a few. Call me old fashioned if you will, but they will no doubt be looked as corny and contrived when compared with the violent, sexually explicit, foul-mouthed rubbish that is lauded as entertainment today!

Last edited by Stumped; 05-04-2010 at 17:39.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2010, 17:38   #77
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin01 View Post
my contribution :
flash gordon - listened to on radio before we had a telly -
torchy, torchy, the battery boy!
and Wind in The Willows - Hayley Mills
AAAh
Remember 'Journey into Space', 'Riders of The Range' and 'The Death of Superman' as broadcast on Sunday nights way back in the 1950's, before many families had TV. Brilliant, boy's own adventures that developed the imagination and which we listened to as awestruck kids in front of a blazing coal fire.

Last edited by Stumped; 05-04-2010 at 17:41.
Old 05-04-2010, 17:47   #78
Senior Member+

There was also a similar Programme to Juke Box Jury, called Thank Your Lucky Stars...which made quite a name for "Janice" from Birmingham, based purely around her accent when saying " I'll give it Foive"

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 17:52   #79
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Wind in The Willows - Hayley Mills
AAAh
Which reminded me "Tales from the Riverbank" went & had a quick look on youtube also "Noggin the Nog" & "The Herb garden". Deary me I've become all misty eyed
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 18:08   #80
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
There was also a similar Programme to Juke Box Jury, called Thank Your Lucky Stars...which made quite a name for "Janice" from Birmingham, based purely around her accent when saying " I'll give it Foive"

Best Regards - Taggy
And 6-5 Special (Recorded by Don Lang), the program that helped launch Cliff Richard's career.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15   #81
Full Member+

You really got me thinking now. Johnny Morris the hot chestnut man . the Lone Ranger and Tonto. Skippy the Bush Kangeroo.And a more serious programme was Hugh Weldons Well and Truely All Your Own, i think this is were the younger generation shown thing they had made themselves, not sure if they were "originals "
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:51   #82

Hello there 'stumped'
You have a couple of years on me so some of those radio 'shows' I missed out on -
my dad got our first telly in the early 50s (a 9 inch screen which he later improved to 12 inch by fitting a custom made magnifying glass over the screen!) but your right about the power of imagination - not just the radio but books (my first 'read' was White Fang by Jack London when I was about 7 years old and of all the books that I have read there is not a single movie that comes anywhere near the reality that my mind created - Lord of the Rings??? - for me; miles off the mark!! --- and of course the weekly comics -
mine was the Eagle, my brother the Dandy and my younger sister - Bunty.
Do I 'smell' another thread on its way??
nice to 'chat' with you
Martin
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 17:36   #83
Full Member+

Quote:
Hello there 'stumped'
You have a couple of years on me so some of those radio 'shows' I missed out on -
my dad got our first telly in the early 50s (a 9 inch screen which he later improved to 12 inch by fitting a custom made magnifying glass over the screen!) but your right about the power of imagination - not just the radio but books (my first 'read' was White Fang by Jack London when I was about 7 years old and of all the books that I have read there is not a single movie that comes anywhere near the reality that my mind created - Lord of the Rings??? - for me; miles off the mark!! --- and of course the weekly comics -
mine was the Eagle, my brother the Dandy and my younger sister - Bunty.
Do I 'smell' another thread on its way??
nice to 'chat' with you
Martin
Thanks Martin. Radio was always a part of my growing up and to this day I still prefer listening to the radio over the trivial junk that is mostly shown on TV as a means to satisfy the empty heads. Incidentally, 'The Death of Superman' and 'Riders of The Range' were recently repeated on BBC Radio 7. The Eagle, The Lion and The Hotspur were my chosen comics
Old 06-04-2010, 17:57   #84

yes
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 17:55   #85
Senior Member+

The World seemed such a different place when we had Tingha and Tucker, Willie Wombat and Auntie Jean!

...and the escapism of Fireball XL5...i still find the intro exciting to this day, big kid that i am!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 07-04-2010, 21:25   #86
Full Member+

I recall Zoo Quest, a popular program screened over several series in the 1960/70's, presented by a Belgian couple, Armand and Michaela Dennis, before Johny Morris David Attenborough took up the mantle.

Anyone remember The Trollenberg Terror?

And what about Paul Temple, an early detective series that would appear tame by today's standards?

Also The Plane Makers. Another successful series that ran for a few seasons.

Jesus, am I showing my age.

Last edited by Stumped; 07-04-2010 at 21:29.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:23   #87
Senior Member+

Yeah i remember Paul Temple...think he was played by Francis Matthews! Who also used to do various Puppet voiceovers!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 08-04-2010, 15:37   #88
Resting in Peace

Radio Luxembourg and Radio Caroline were always on the wireless, and don't forget Dan Dare Pilot of the Future
Old 08-04-2010, 17:19   #89

We always listened to the radio on Sunday lunchtime where service men and families got in touch over the radio. Always remember that they would say things like " see you in 3 years" can't remember what the program was called mind.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 17:46   #90
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
We always listened to the radio on Sunday lunchtime where service men and families got in touch over the radio. Always remember that they would say things like " see you in 3 years" can't remember what the program was called mind.
Family Favourites.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..