Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010, 10:54   #1

What did you watch when you was a nipper?

The Wooden Tops was probably one of the 1st things I remember watching on our huge black and white TV. 2 channels and only every now and again!! One of the 1st puppet programs I remember was 4 Feather falls, anyone remember that?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2010, 10:59   #2

Re: What did you watch when you was a nipper?

I remember 4 feather falls, i used to enjoy Muffin the Mule. I remember when tele only used to come on for 1-2 hours on a Sunday, and only for a few hours in the evening during the week
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:13   #3
God Member

I presume you mean on TV - I didn't - that mind controlling goggle box which dumbs the brain was not in widespread use in my childhood.

Instead I read books and listened to the radio

PS more book reading improves your english grammar skill
eg - when you were, not when you was

Last edited by MargaretR; 07-03-2010 at 11:20.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I presume you mean on TV - I didn't - that mind controlling goggle box which dumbs the brain was not in widespread use in my childhood.

Instead I read books and listened to the radio

PS more book reading improves your english grammar skill
eg - when you were, not when you was
Thanks for the granma lesson Madge. It was ment to be written like that, bit of humour I thought???? Humour, not for everyone is it??
Old 07-03-2010, 11:34   #5
Beacon of light

We didn't get a TV set until 1952. My father wanted us to be able to watch the Coronation.
I remember it was a 9inch Bush. You had to switch it on a few minutes before you wanted to watch anything because it needed time to 'warm up'.
Our family all crowded into the living room ......a couple of neighbours were invited too, you had to draw the curtains to be able to see the picture properly.
My father kept trying to impress on us that we were seeing an historic event.
Of course, everyone stood up when the national anthem was played.

To be honest, in the early days there wasn't much childrens TV, not that we wanted to watch anyway.....yes there was a Children's Hour.......five until six, but other than that, childrens programs were very sparse.......we preferred to play out or read anyway.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:42   #6
God Member

Jamie and the magic torch

button moon

Cockleshell bay

Fraggle rock

Pigeon street
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13   #7
God Member

Little House on the prairie for me.. Always rushed home on a thursdays so not to miss an episode.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:20   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Thanks for the granma lesson Madge. It was ment to be written like that, bit of humour I thought???? Humour, not for everyone is it??
I'm just having a day when little things irritate.
Normally I don't post like that - sorry

but I still don't see the humour

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:20   #9

the first television i ever saw was at my Nan's friends house, to watch the Coronation, as there was so many of us in the room watching a small screen, a large magnifying glass was put in front of the screen so we could all see it. It was still a few years later before my Grandparents got one.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:25   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The Pogels ? of Pogels Wood or was that "the Wooden tops" ? I also remember "Fireball XL5", "Stingray", "Joe 90" "Captain Scarlet" "Thunderbirds" the proper Gerry Anderson ones mind ! & "Bleep & Booster", now theres dragging back the years !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 16:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
The Pogels ? of Pogels Wood or was that "the Wooden tops" ? I also remember "Fireball XL5", "Stingray", "Joe 90" "Captain Scarlet" "Thunderbirds" the proper Gerry Anderson ones mind ! & "Bleep & Booster", now theres dragging back the years !
Didn't most of these puppet programs had a weird creature or animal as a pet for the star, without using Google, can anyone remember them??? That's without Marina in Stingray, what a Babe!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 17:10   #12
God Member

saturday morning swapshop which also featured battle of the planets with jason,princess ,tiny , mark and kiop

not forgetting 7zark7

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 17:14   #13
Senior Member+

Was only thinking about some of those programmes the other day!

I remember Four Feather Falls with 2 Gun Tex!!...wasn't the theme tune sung by Michael Halliday? I was a Wooden Tops kid too! Also Supercar and the other Gerry Anderson progs mentioned. Was there a monkey in one called Zooney? and Robert the Robot! Used to like Skippy and Daktari, The Littlest Hobo, Tinga and Tucka or Tucker? Fred the Beak? Pinky and Perky,Crackerjack, Flipper, The Lone Ranger, The Big Valley, Bonanza, The Flaxton Boys, Blue Peter, Captain Pugwash and Noggin the Nog.

What was that programme called where a young Lad used to have a Boomerang and when he threw it in the air, time stood still for a few minutes?...Used to be on either Sat or Sun tea time ish or early evening?

Oh happy days...and no worries...well not many anyway!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 17:32   #14
Resting in Peace

We didn't get a telly until I was about 13 so never really watched kids TV, and was more or less tied up with home work after that
Old 07-03-2010, 18:16   #15
Senior Member+

There was no television signal in the village where I lived for many years after TV started broadcasting so like jaysay I never watched kids TV, when we got a TV I was too old to bother with TV.

One thing I remember watching when I was a child was the fires glowing over Manchester during the blitz. A mile walk up a big hill made it possibe and we were twenty five miles away, thank the Good Lord.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..