Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 15:08   #61
Member.

Re: Has Coleman lost the dressing room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I shall be appealing to the FA about that one

Being from Burnley, I sure the FA will be more than happy to up hold your appeal Dave, they have an history of taking sides that goes way back.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2007, 15:37   #62
Resting In Peace

We have had four matches against top teams, before the season started I said that I would be very happy with four points from the first four games but I was worried that we would get none. We have three points, OK we are bottom of the league but we are only one point behind twelfth place and only six points from the top of the league. We have a goalkeeper who has been in the Scotland squad, we have just signed a centre half who is in the current Northern Ireland squad and we have a Benin International in our team.
Our next twelve games are Grimsby, Mansfield, Wrexham, Macclesfield, Notts County, and Rotherham at home and Shrewsbury, Bury, Bradford City, Dagenham, Barnet, and Morecambe away. If we are still in the relegation positions after this then I will be worried, but I am confident that after these twelve games we will be comfortably in the top half of the league.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 15:47   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
We have had four matches against top teams, before the season started I said that I would be very happy with four points from the first four games but I was worried that we would get none. We have three points, OK we are bottom of the league but we are only one point behind twelfth place and only six points from the top of the league. We have a goalkeeper who has been in the Scotland squad, we have just signed a centre half who is in the current Northern Ireland squad and we have a Benin International in our team.
Our next twelve games are Grimsby, Mansfield, Wrexham, Macclesfield, Notts County, and Rotherham at home and Shrewsbury, Bury, Bradford City, Dagenham, Barnet, and Morecambe away. If we are still in the relegation positions after this then I will be worried, but I am confident that after these twelve games we will be comfortably in the top half of the league.
Hallelujah... Someone with a positive outlook and looks beond these 1st 4 games well done Jeff...

Tractorboy Red
Old 03-09-2007, 16:10   #64
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
I think you and others who have posted up beat, positive statements are right in what you are doing, but I think some of us are a little worried that a squad that offered so much potential over the previous season is struggling, worst still is the fear that we might just struggle on against what we might consider lesser teams. We have what it takes to compete against any team in the league and should be doing just that even from the outset.

Unfortunately, there appears to be something nasty in the coal hole and I don’t just mean Mr Evil de’Stamper. I hope it is nothing more than a few wayward grumbles and that the management and lads get themselves sorted.

What I don’t like is the fact that we seem to want to be the “bad boys” of the League, Master Whalley having a paddy in front of the supporters, notwithstanding his frustration and disappointment at being subbed; he should have saved it for the Dressing Room, Branch is an experienced play and should have known better and Evil playing on reputation not skill and to top it off we have the dug out playing like babes in a tarts nursery.

Let’s get back to playing passionate professional football and show the league and our doubters what we can achieve against the odds

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 16:31   #65

So to sum up some of the comments, Eric should sell up, Coleman and Bell should be sacked, along with Evil and half the team.........this running a football team lark is so easy......NOT!
Get real folks, We have not done too badly so far with Eric Whalley as Chairman, and considering the lack of spending money, Coleman has got together a pretty good squad. We need to create the same sort of spirit in the side that got us into the Football League. We being the supporters. Get behind the team, even when they are having a bad day. Get behind the club, buy a raffle ticket, bring a friend, turn up to the games yourself!! And for goodness sake stop all this moaning and groaning. As bad as it gets we all turn up to watch football and particularly Stanley, you bought your season ticket (well 115 have) so enjoy the experience. (A note to Lee Mcevilly....you have the talent to do good things at Stanley, get yourself to match fitness and use that talent!!!)
Rant over, I feel better for that and I'll see the true supporters on Saturday.
fettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 18:33   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettler View Post
So to sum up some of the comments, Eric should sell up, Coleman and Bell should be sacked, along with Evil and half the team.........this running a football team lark is so easy......NOT!
Get real folks, We have not done too badly so far with Eric Whalley as Chairman, and considering the lack of spending money, Coleman has got together a pretty good squad. We need to create the same sort of spirit in the side that got us into the Football League. We being the supporters. Get behind the team, even when they are having a bad day. Get behind the club, buy a raffle ticket, bring a friend, turn up to the games yourself!! And for goodness sake stop all this moaning and groaning. As bad as it gets we all turn up to watch football and particularly Stanley, you bought your season ticket (well 115 have) so enjoy the experience. (A note to Lee Mcevilly....you have the talent to do good things at Stanley, get yourself to match fitness and use that talent!!!)
Rant over, I feel better for that and I'll see the true supporters on Saturday.
The fact is Fettler, most of the fans are getting real. EW should have sold up when he promised to do so. JC/JB well the jury is out there. Evil DeStamper should be sacked here and now. From what I have seen of him over the last few weeks, he's lucky not to have been sent off before now.
And when you finish your speech and say you will see all the true supporters on Saturday, well I could not believe that. ALL THE TRUE SUPPORTERS WILL BE AT THE F.E.S. TOMORROW NIGHT FOR THE MATCH AGAINST OLDHAM. Why wait till Saturday?

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 19:32   #67
Super Moderator

Quote:
Get real folks, We have not done too badly so far with Eric Whalley as Chairman
No, YOU get real, Fettler, Eric has already spelt it out in the starkest possible terms - we cannot carry on in the football league on the present gates, without a large-scale investment. Eric has done a great job over the last few years, but he has taken the club as far as he can and now is the time to see if someone else with greater resources and a new perspective on marketing the club to the public is out there.

As for your comment about "true supporters", are you saying that those of us who seek change or dare to offer criticisms are somehow not true supporters? We criticise because we care!
Old 03-09-2007, 19:37   #68
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

There you go Fettler you treacle miner it used to be if you called Eric you got a load of abuse now it's the other way round, the times they are a changing.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 20:45   #69
God Member

the truth of the matter is that we have come a long way in a short time. This does not leave enough time to maximise cash potential at any of the steps. In the Unibond we had decent crowds for the level, in the Conference we had mediocre, slightly below average crowds for the level.

Most clubs tend to stick around their level for a while, develop the ground and the team in similar sorts of time spans and then when they go up they are already operating at the required level. We bucked the trend and somehow (contrary to Confguide belief) managed to get up through the leagues without being bankrolled. Now and last year we find ourselves trying to play catch up on ground development, playing staff, off the field development, Community work, crowds etc etc. There is no quick fix for it, we have got to the League before we had done the work rather than after it. We need to be proud of that achievment rather than despondent, yes we will knock the club here and there if we don't think anything is being done - but again it possibly is being done they just choose not to tell us.

When a date had been set for the roof in the summer they could have informed us, but they decided to just surprise us. They could have informed us that a Community Officer had been appointed but they chose not to. Decisions like these cost the club because we speculate, and speculation leads to negativety and criticism - which spreads.

Step 1. Speak to the fans more often, the results will be surprising.
step 2. We'll cross that bridge when the basics are being done.

If we can survive this season we may find that things are picking up a little, but we'll still have to survive the following. and the following, and the following.

By being in this league we are learning quicker than we have ever had to before, SHOULD we ever go down to the Conference again I would like to think that we would have become a big fish in that league rather than a small one that somehow escaped. We'll have our time again but for now we may just have to batten down the hatches and make the most of winning the odd battle rather than the war.

When the fruits of todays labour start to show in a few years time, when the Commercial Operation is running at full pelt, and the Community Operation is cutting a swarthe through the local youth, we'll hopefully have a much rosier looking future with crowds a thousand or two higher than they are now. We'll be making money more efficiently than we are now, we'll be coining it in through the beer vans behind the Clayton End, we'll be taking an extra thousand pound or two off away fans via their beer van.

The only drawback I can really see is that we still talk (the Chairman and the manager do) about League 1. It's all well and good being ambitious but if we are short of money to compete at this level we'll struggle like bloody hell at that level!!!! Peterborough are the big shots in this league because they can afford to spend £200k each on a few players, but they spend £500k in that league, we'd be mashed potato every week with the kind of budget signings we have to make. Like it or not this is our level for the immediate future and we need to start treading water PDQ.

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 03-09-2007 at 20:49.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 21:39   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
the truth of the matter is that we have come a long way in a short time. This does not leave enough time to maximise cash potential at any of the steps.....

Most clubs tend to stick around their level for a while, develop the ground and the team in similar sorts of time spans and then when they go up they are already operating at the required level. We bucked the trend and somehow (contrary to Confguide belief) managed to get up through the leagues without being bankrolled. Now and last year we find ourselves trying to play catch up on ground development, playing staff, off the field development, Community work, crowds etc etc. There is no quick fix for it, we have got to the League before we had done the work rather than after it. We need to be proud of that achievment rather than despondent, ...........

When the fruits of todays labour start to show in a few years time, when the Commercial Operation is running at full pelt, and the Community Operation is cutting a swarthe through the local youth, we'll hopefully have a much rosier looking future with crowds a thousand or two higher than they are now....

Like it or not this is our level for the immediate future and we need to start treading water PDQ.
I agree with all that in fact I was only thinking in terms of the first two paragraphs today.

To make much impression on the local youth we need to stay in League Two. At the same time the small crowds leave little room for manoevre - if we can only hope to stay in League 2 at the expense of jeopardising the club's finances we must cut our cloth for a spell back in the Blue Square Premier. That's of course preferable to no Accrington Stanley or an Accrington Stanley restarting in the next tier down like Boston because it pursued a dream or worse still lower like Scarborough.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 00:12   #71

This 1,000 seater stand that is causing so much worry.....will it not be partially funded by grants? What will the shortfall be? Find out! Then try to help out with fundraising efforts. If you have a target to achieve, you might get there. Sponsored events, bucketshaking even, raffles etc.
Quakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:40   #72

Quote:
...I'll see the true supporters on Saturday.
Would you be good enough to provide us with the definition of a "true" supporter? I have seen this phrase used a number of times over the years so I am beginning to suspect there is some secret hierarchy of supporters that I am as of yet unaware. I would assume that I am less of a supporter than say, Jimbo T Hornblower, because he used to stand on the terraces and still does when he returns to the Accrington area whereas I have never even been to Accrington. Of course, it would follow that the two of us are even lower down the ranks than someone with a season ticket and that much further from a person who attends the odd away match as well as the home games. Does watching the two Cup ties broadcast on TV over here help my status at all? Do I get bonus points for signing up with the OSC or taking a share in sponsoring a player with the World Wide Reds or making purchases from the club shop? I want to join you in the ranks of the True Supporters -- I just need to know how to get there.
MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:11   #73

has he eck`as like we`re only 4 games into the season its all down to a lack of confidence from the players and new players fitting in
What about the end off last season when we were looking at relegation and Jon turned things around then and he will do it again just wait till xmas well be safe by then

Last edited by steve chippendale; 04-09-2007 at 02:13. Reason: spelling mistakes
steve chippendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 00:24   #74

As bad as things might seem now its only early days yet, you just have to look at how sunderland started last season and where they finished, if we are still struggling at christmas then yeah i'll say we have problems but i'm not to worried at the moment, yeah the gates do need to increase and hopefully when we start to pick a few points up they will go up, but we can't judge yet, as far this my football club thing takeover i don't kno what to think, keep believing it will come good again
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:03   #75

Maybe if JC would stop berating his defence and officials time after time and just got on with being the manager that we all know he is capable of being then things would turn round for you guys.

I'm a firm believer in keeping such things within the confines of the dressing room. Not airing ones dirty linen in public.

It can't be pure coincidence that referees are ALWAYS wrong in his eyes. Sometimes we have to take a look at the cause of a problem to get to the real truth.

Stick together. This time last year you were getting all the plaudits.

You maybe the 'enemy' () but there is genuine concern up here for our closest rival.
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..