Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 19:26   #91

Re: Match Thread vs Mariners

I was optimistic at kick off, attacking team selection on paper, Grant & Turner to provide width, Symes & Kee in the middle, etc - I said to my lad, 'we are going to see plenty of goals today', expecting a 3 or 4 nill Stanley win. Boozer looked suspect most of the match, poor defending, and dreadful performance in the middle of the pitch apart from Jimmy Ryan - no wonder he got man of the match! Too much hoofing the ball, not enough on the ground, think the team is knackered & yes, we have been punching above our weight. Still at least we have a club & League 2 football next season.
Preston Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2010, 19:27   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I agree its the strongest squad ive seen since pre 62, n there was some superb stanley sides in 50s, Hence the reason fer me comment about the "Real Question" my own personal thoughts are there is still a "Non-League" attitude prevalent.
The answer to your "Real Question" Cashy unfortunately within certain sectors of the Club yes there is

Just because we may have the smallest budgets in the League and we may have the smallest crowds, commitment, attitude and professionalism cost nothing.

They are a team that goes from the very Top to the very Bottom

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 05-04-2010 at 19:32.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 19:50   #93

Thanks for the kind words.. I hope to see you boys before the season is over.. Have you got any mid week games before the end of the season?
lukeogtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 19:56   #94
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Positives: Dean Winnard. Played his heart out and was a good as 3 men.
Negatives: Our midfield played like 0 men.

We were robbing them at 2-0 and a 6 or 7 nil thrashing for Grimsby would have been a fair result. The majority of the team were just apathetic.

Good luck to Grimsby, keep playing like that they should avoid the drop though unfortunately for them I don't think they'll find an easier game than they had today.

Also credit to the Grimsby fans it's not often we are out sang - only thing I didn't like was them booing their own team at half time despite having had the domination of the play. Also abusive chanting at the keeper after you've won the game just aint needed.
Agree with your comments, didnt know how we went in 2-0 down... Are fans as usually were excellent (shame are team arnt all the time) but the reasons for the goal keeper getting so much abuse was because as soon as you scored your first he turned around giving it the shhh to us all, same again for the second goal and pointing his fingers down which i and the town fans were totally out of order, so i thought he deserved all he gets, was absolutely hillarouis when he got the abuse at the end walked the complete oppersite side and didnt even take a glance over at us, Quality...
You fans are brilliant with there songs and there band
Big Mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 20:06   #95
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeogtfc View Post
Thanks for the kind words.. I hope to see you boys before the season is over.. Have you got any mid week games before the end of the season?
13th April Port Vale, 27th April Barnet...hope you lads manage "the great escape" - I always enjoy a day out in Cleethorpes.
Old 05-04-2010, 20:12   #96
Senior Member+

Its worth it just for the chippy
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 20:55   #97
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Its worth it just for the chippy
You haven't lived until you've tried Willy's Bar on the seafront - ask MadKev!
Old 05-04-2010, 21:41   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'm just glad we're mathematically safe now, or else I'd be really worried, as, on today's showing, I can't see us picking up another point this season.

Fed up of the reversion to the old boot it up in the air and hope for the best stuff and why the hell is Coley persisting with McConville, a player who is obviously not football league standard?
Couldn't agree with you more Wyn !...now you know that I am the last one to criticise individual players...but I really cannot see McConville ever succeding in the game ...There truly is something lacking there !!.
Too many 'dead-legs' (and dead Brains?) on view today..plus a total lack of desire to win (Which, quite naturally, The Mariners had by the Bucketful !)....

Alfred.E's message to you suggests that there was probably something FISHY going on !!.

'ON STANLEY !!...ON !!'...to GREATER THINGS !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 21:53   #99
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You haven't lived until you've tried Willy's Bar on the seafront - ask MadKev!
aye the nectar is good there

A gentle ribbing will await me from the town fans at work tomorrow
Old 05-04-2010, 22:06   #100

!...now you know that I am the last one to criticise individual players...but I really cannot see McConville ever succeding in the game ...There truly is something lacking there !!.

Totally agree
Just not good enough and given chances galore.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 22:12   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That is beyond doubt Bernard, but we've all seen some great performances this season, also seen what was possible, is it wrong to want improvement?

Thats exactly the sort of thing that worries me.
The 7 wins out of 8 in the circumstances wasn't the possible, it was purely impossible and magical, and surely all the (temporary) improvement anyone could possibly have hoped to see. If we'd only won 4 of those 7 and then beaten Lincoln, Burton and Grimsby we'd be exactly where we are today - safe - and everybody would be deliriously happy. That's football.

Maybe distance and only watching occasionally makes it easier and dilutes the passion. But - lose Coley without finding a Jack Walker and lose Football League football - just my opinion . I stand by my signature block!
Old 05-04-2010, 23:33   #102
Full Member+

“Shall I post or not?” I thought, after the extremely disappointing showing today. However, after reading some of the posts on here, particularly those calling for Coleman’s head, I thought I might as well have my two penn’orth, for what it’s worth.

Firstly, no-one has remarked on the absence of Tom Lees and Jonny Flynn from the squad. I don’t actually KNOW, but feel it is reasonable to assume that they have been stricken by the “lurgy” which has been affecting the club in the past few days. (If I’m wrong, then the next bit of this post is irrelevant…….. however…… assuming that this was the case, then the moving of Phil to right-back was enforced, leaving the central pairing of Darren and McCarten.)

Ok, now, I feel that Darren NEEDS Phil to cover behind him and allow him to go forward to win the ball. That cover was not there today, leaving Darren to rely even more on his “get rid at all costs” philosophy. McCarten, with the best will in the world, looked raw and inexperienced, not sure what was required of him and certainly not up to the “cleaning-up” role which Darren needs.

This seemed to affect the confidence of Boozer, who had what I believe to be his worst ever game for Stanley. As one of Bavs’s greatest critics, it grieves me somewhat to say that there were times when I wished he’d been playing today!

However, on to the rest… Proccy, before being made captain, was a bit of a “headless chicken”. Then, having taken on the responsibility, he became something of an inspiration. Sadly now, for whatever reason, he seems to have returned to poultry mode. This does not make him a bad player – he just seems to feel that he has to make up for others’ deficiencies.

Ryan, Winnard, Phil, Symes and Kee.. reasonable marks today, often for making up for others’ failings.

Grant…. Was he playing? Turner…. I have said before that I am not convinced that he is the answer to all our problems but, if you leave out the player who is most likely to feed him, i.e. Joyce, then you leave him with a mountain to climb.

So, to sum up, then, Grimsby, fighting relegation, took the game to us and thoroughly deserved their win. This doesn’t suddenly turn us into a bad team, but into a team which has lost a bit of confidence and for whom things are not working out any more.

On the positive side, we are safe and could yet end the season with a respectable top-half finish, so let’s get behind them, stop carping on about where things have gone wrong and try to encourage Coley, Jimmy and the team to put things right. Incidentally, full marks to the Ultras and the Clayton End today. I’m sure there were times when you didn’t feel like singing, but that kind of support should be an inspiration to any team.

Onward and upward, then. Let’s get back on track at Darlington next week and show those who prophesied relegation at the beginning of the season that they write Stanley off at their peril!

On Stanley On!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:01   #103

I agree with the missing Lees remark, Phil is a cracking defender but with him at fullback you miss something going forward. The starting 11 today was close to being a good one however we missed Joyce's distribution in the centre of the park and with Proccy out of form it should have been him and not Joycey who sat on the bench.

Boozer

Lees Edwards Kempson Winnard

Turner Ryan Joyce Grant

Symes Kee

Also have to note that Symesy & Kee played bloody good football today, just went amiss because there was no service.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02   #104
Senior Member+

Full marks to your post oldgobblin.

Great to see somebody that knows what they are actually talking about.

Those that are calling for Coleys had are fools IMO.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32   #105
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Full marks to your post oldgobblin.

Great to see somebody that knows what they are actually talking about.

Those that are calling for Coleys had are fools IMO.
Me too....... Well said OG

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..