Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 16:48   #121
God Member

Smile Re: Match Thread vs Mariners

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Murphy was on the bench and he has played at full back this season. So, in my opinion, the moving of Phil to right back was NOT enforced. Murphy played at right back at Dagenham on Saturday. Unfortunately, McCarten looked totally out of his depth.
Sorry Jeff, but I do not think that Murphy is good enough and I would have put Phil at RB, if Flynn/Lees were injured!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2010, 16:54   #122
God Member

We all keep going on about cash and the size of our squad, but just look at Ballmouth, they have had to fork out loads of cash and have a very small squad, sometimes naming only three outfield subs!!

This is the same small squad (ours) that won game after game, only a few weeks ago!

We have had our best ever season, in the worst circumstances, bring on next season!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 17:02   #123
Senior Member+

Re: Match Thread vs Mariners

Bet they are on double our wages though

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 17:06   #124
God Member

Exclamation Re: Match Thread vs Mariners

Surely not suggesting that they would play better if paid more????

They should be honoured to play for Stanley

Old 06-04-2010, 17:47   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
You know it's a sad state of affairs when the only part of your side looking to get forward and attack is the left full back.
you dont mean our right footed centre half do you?

woeful yesterday and I have nothing constructive to contribute. However, despite the disappointment of the last month or so we have had a blast this season, our best run in the Carling Cup culminating in an unlucky defeat at QPR, same again in the Paint Pot Trophy and Elland Road, a wonderful FA Cup run and more unluckiness at home to Fulham, we've beaten previously undefeated Barnet and Notts County on their own pitches, we've beaten Bury and Rochdale away for the first time in over half a century AND we made our best ever signing in Ilyas Khan.

The worst thing about this season has undoubtedly been the pitch. With a decent pitch that we can actually play football on we would have had our games spread out over a wider time (and mostly when we were still in form) and we would have made far more money out of the crowds we'd have got for saturdays rather than tuesdays.

Fix the pitch, buy a good goalkeeper and two decent attacking full backs (at least one with a left foot please). Then 2010/2011 will look okay for me.
Old 06-04-2010, 18:33   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
you dont mean our right footed centre half do you?

woeful yesterday and I have nothing constructive to contribute. However, despite the disappointment of the last month or so we have had a blast this season, our best run in the Carling Cup culminating in an unlucky defeat at QPR, same again in the Paint Pot Trophy and Elland Road, a wonderful FA Cup run and more unluckiness at home to Fulham, we've beaten previously undefeated Barnet and Notts County on their own pitches, we've beaten Bury and Rochdale away for the first time in over half a century AND we made our best ever signing in Ilyas Khan.

The worst thing about this season has undoubtedly been the pitch. With a decent pitch that we can actually play football on we would have had our games spread out over a wider time (and mostly when we were still in form) and we would have made far more money out of the crowds we'd have got for saturdays rather than tuesdays.

Fix the pitch, buy a good goalkeeper and two decent attacking full backs (at least one with a left foot please). Then 2010/2011 will look okay for me.
Well said, Macca!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:42   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good post rob, whilst ruddy annoyed at recent performances, have great hopes fer next season,......................Providing.
Old 06-04-2010, 18:51   #128
Senior Member+

Think you summed it up perfectly there Rob
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 19:39   #129
God Member

Spot on Macca

Old 06-04-2010, 19:55   #130
Senior Member+

how many previous left backs have the ability to mark the opposing centre backs at corners and set pieces all season and still to conceed?
I know deanos not a natural left back, but its disrepectful to say hes not effective.
Anyone in the team quicker? dont think so , he was the fastest player on rovers books over 10,20,30 and 40 m
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 20:35   #131
Senior Member+

think people have said it on the other thread, no one is blaming deano hes a very good player, but oviously playing people out of position, things will go wrong, like tonight if barca played messi in defence he proberly wouldnt of scored all the goals, so it works like that, play people in right positions and it all works nicely,

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 20:43   #132

Before this turns into a Dean Winnard love-in, I have to agree that he was one of the least bad players yesterday. Took junior bedsred to his second game yesterday and wish we'd left at half time. From centre half to centre midfield that was shocking. Kempson's behaviour (in front of the no swearing bit of the stand, too) was disgusting. The centre midfield went missing and our subs turned the game. Full time Teams should not lose on fitness or application and we were lacking in both. Not sure whether we can blame coley for that, but he's the only one with the power to do anything about it. Frankly, yesterday I was glad I don't get to many games. By the way, sorry if I missed it elsewhere but what's the story with Jimmy Ryan? Hints here that there's more to it than I'd like to believe.
BedsRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 20:48   #133
God Member

I'd love us to have Deano playing at centre half. I think he is probably better (or technically more potential anyway) than either Edwards or Kempson. Although I am a fan of a settled back four it would be nice to have someone quality to replace either of the two preferred players. Deano has been a good solid player for us this season, but, we have had our best ever season playing without the width and impetus that regular full backs tend to provide. I have seen more than half the games this season and only once have I seen a goalkeeper try to start an attack by throwing the ball (overarm) to a full back ready to run. That's either lack of coaching direction or we haven't the staff to do that. Having said all that, what a twinkle toes run he made the other week that he set up a goal from ....
Old 07-04-2010, 12:40   #134
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Sorry Jeff, but I do not think that Murphy is good enough and I would have put Phil at RB, if Flynn/Lees were injured!!
I agree that Murphy is not good enough. I was only making a point to Oldgobbin that the moving of Phil to right back was NOT enforced and that Coley had other options.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 14:15   #135
Senior Member+

Thankfully, I was unable to go to the match against Grimsby but it has been interesting to read all the comments.

One worrying thing that I have noticed more than ever this season is the lack of encouragement and advice that the team seems to get from the technical area. Coley and Jimmy Bell are quickly on their feet when they disagree with the decisions of officials but, compared to other management teams, ours seems to appear only occasionally and then merely to berate.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..