Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2012, 15:55   #76
Super Moderator

Re: rovers games / two games

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
So everybody has to support their hometown club thats an interesting concept. Stanley theselves have acknowledged in the past that geographically they are in need of Rovers and Burnley to support Stanley as their 2nd team and its evident thats what does happen. So although clearly you would like me to be disloyal to BRFC and adopt Stanley as my first club (which isn't going to happen)would you prefer me not to financially support ASFC at all or to have it as my 2nd club. I'm not sure Stanley are in a position to decline my gatemoney or is your money more valuable than mine.

I take if somebody lives in Blackburn or Burnley or any other town outside of Accy then you and your parochial friends will be maning the baracades and telling them that they are not welcome at the Stanley and they must retun to their town of residence and support their town team

god forbid that I ever move to Burnley!!
You're not being disloyal to the chicken farmers! You're an Accringtonian, you should support Stanley! That's loyalty! HOMETOWN loyalty! If you don't understand that concept, I can't explain it any better.

As for what people from other towns do, that's up to them. All I'm concerned about and ever have been concerned about, footballwise, is ACCRINGTON STANLEY, first, second and last!
Old 22-07-2012, 16:01   #77
Super Moderator

Quote:
So everybody has to support their hometown club thats an interesting concept.
Incidentally, Hedman, you seem to infer that supporting your hometown club is something weird or unusual by your sarcastic use of the word "interesting". I'm sure many in Accrington would agree with you, but what a sad state of affairs that this is so!
Old 22-07-2012, 16:21   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Incidentally, Hedman, you seem to infer that supporting your hometown club is something weird or unusual by your sarcastic use of the word "interesting". I'm sure many in Accrington would agree with you, but what a sad state of affairs that this is so!

When I started going to football in the 70's my choices were Rovers or Burnley as far as I was concerned at aged 14 Stanley were not an option and clearly since then they have made massive strides and I'm proud that Stanley are in the football league. Perhaps looking at your age you can recall the demise of the Stanley in the early 60's and perhaps that is why you feel more passionate about the Stanley and without patronising you I admire your passion and commitment to Stanley

The word interesting was your thinking that everybody should be a supporter of the hometown club which was probably the norm 60 years ago when people relied on public transport and the road networks were not as good as today however to call me a traitor for staying loyal to my first club is rather obtuse

Stanley will spend my money as well as they spend yours yet another concept you fail to admit

I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on this one
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 16:45   #79
Senior Member+

Can I please enter this argument about who to support. Hedman2003, I am old enough to remember the final season with the demise of the old club. I can understand your argument that the new club was a non-league club whilst Rovers and Burnley were both football league clubs. I like you supported a club from outside the are, I could not bring myself to support Rovers or Burnley, but, and this is a big but, I was away in the Army for many years and finally left in 1986. That is when I came back to the Stanley fold, even though they were still non-league. I have ridden the roller coaster of many a Stanley season (and not all have been good). Now I live away from the area (Wigan) but I still come home and watch my hometown team, although I could, if I wanted, watch premiership football week in, week out. I cannot do it every week due to work commitments, but I get whenever I can. Ok so you have been a Rovers fan since 1975, that is your right and whilst I applaud you assisting our club as a 2nd team, I also respect your right to support whoever you want. Wynonie, I am sure you can't make all people from Accrington come and support the club, I wish we could, we may get a half decent ground out of it eventually, but the way I see it, I believe that Stanley are similar to Wigan Athletic and may just get the promotions that they have, maybe not Premier League for a few years, but why not live the dream n'est pas.BTW my brother is a Rovers fan and he was born in Accrington, but I have seen him on our ground on occasions. It's his choice.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 16:49   #80
Super Moderator

Quote:
When I started going to football in the 70's my choices were Rovers or Burnley as far as I was concerned at aged 14 Stanley were not an option and clearly since then they have made massive strides and I'm proud that Stanley are in the football league. Perhaps looking at your age you can recall the demise of the Stanley in the early 60's and perhaps that is why you feel more passionate about the Stanley and without patronising you I admire your passion and commitment to Stanley

The word interesting was your thinking that everybody should be a supporter of the hometown club which was probably the norm 60 years ago when people relied on public transport and the road networks were not as good as today however to call me a traitor for staying loyal to my first club is rather obtuse

Stanley will spend my money as well as they spend yours yet another concept you fail to admit

I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on this one
Actually. I don't think everyone should support their hometown club, I think Accringtonians should support their hometown club! Everyone else should be a traitor and support Stanley anyway (like my mates and fellow supporters ThirdDivNorth, Yonmon, Mab, Valarian, DaveinGermany, Pendle Red and others! ).

Yes, we will have to disagree, but if you're ever in the Oaklea prior to spending you money at Stanley, I will gladly buy you a pint!
Old 22-07-2012, 16:49   #81

thanks for your balanced response
Old 22-07-2012, 16:54   #82
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Wynonie, I am sure you can't make all people from Accrington come and support the club
Yes, but I'm trying!

Very trying, some might say!
Old 22-07-2012, 16:58   #83
Super Moderator

Quote:
thanks for your balanced response
"Balanced" is not a word I would use in relation to me and Stanley...unless you were being sarcastic!
Old 22-07-2012, 17:06   #84

Quote:
Actually. I don't think everyone should support their hometown club, I think Accringtonians should support their hometown club! Everyone else should be a traitor and support Stanley anyway (like my mates and fellow supporters ThirdDivNorth, Yonmon, Mab, Valarian, DaveinGermany, Pendle Red and others! ).

Yes, we will have to disagree, but if you're ever in the Oaklea prior to spending you money at Stanley, I will gladly buy you a pint!
Cheers - I do enjoy going to the Stanley as without in any way being disrespectful its like the Rovers used to be in terms of being able to sit or stand where you want. I agree with similar posts on here that Stanley must be the friendliest club to visit

Thanks for the discussion
Old 22-07-2012, 17:12   #85

Quote:
"Balanced" is not a word I would use in relation to me and Stanley...unless you were being sarcastic!

Nope I wasn't being sarcastic! - I admire your passion for your club
Old 22-07-2012, 17:13   #86

Quote:
My likes and dislikes re food have changed over the years but once a Rover always a Rover and I'm sure that sentiment applies to the majority of genuine fans whoever they support. RTID
I too was a Rovers fanatic in the old division 3 days of the early 70s - home and away. Unfortunately my loyalty has wained over the years, but I really admire your staying power. All the best for the coming season!
Old 22-07-2012, 17:26   #87
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cheers - I do enjoy going to the Stanley as without in any way being disrespectful its like the Rovers used to be in terms of being able to sit or stand where you want. I agree with similar posts on here that Stanley must be the friendliest club to visit

Thanks for the discussion
OK, Hedman, make sure you get on as much as you can this season when Rovers don't have a game. Could be a good season!
Old 22-07-2012, 18:41   #88

Trouble is Wyn, us Peel Paek Vets are diseased ! Even though I was exiled down south in '52 and had no knowledge of a resurrected Stanley pre Unibond days, I could not conceivably adopt any other club. Now retired on the south coast but still a Stanley nut thru' 'n thru' even though oap status limits away games I can get to.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 18:45   #89
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon View Post
Trouble is Wyn, us Peel Paek Vets are diseased ! Even though I was exiled down south in '52 and had no knowledge of a resurrected Stanley pre Unibond days, I could not conceivably adopt any other club. Now retired on the south coast but still a Stanley nut thru' 'n thru' even though oap status limits away games I can get to.
That's the spirit, LLS! Stanley Til I Die!
Old 22-07-2012, 19:04   #90

If Stanley were the last team on the planet, i still wouldn't support 'em Wynonie.
You keep going on about support your own town !!
I suppose you do all your shopping in Accringtons indoor market, thats if all the stall owners are from Accy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..