Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 22:28   #1
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Tonights Gate

Coley has just been on Sky slagging off the people of Accrington for not attending tonights game. The attendance was given as 2667 when I and lots of others around me heard that we laughed as it was clear there was a lot more than that. In my opinion if we continue to give the attendance figure lower and I mean a lot lower than the actual number the tax man is going to notice and in the eyes of the away fans we become a laughing stock for having such a poor support.

Even for allowing for the Eric factor I was expecting a few more on tonight, where's the roof!!!

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 08-08-2006 at 22:31.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2006, 22:49   #2
God Member

Re: Tonights Gate

We're losing so many potential punters on nights like this (weather-wise) with the lack of a roof & seats.
There was easy over 3000 on tonight though with at least a third from Darlo I reck.
Does anyone know what was going on with the floodlights? Could hardly make out the names on the shirts after 60/70 mins.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:51   #3
Member.

There were a few gaps around the mid terrace tonight, I also felt that the turnout was little disappointing for whatever reason I had expected more. Maybe when the lads settle down a little and start winning the gate will rise a little.

A roo (there’s no f in roof) would have been nice tonight, I’ll be taking a hat at the weekend.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:58   #4
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Does anyone know what was going on with the floodlights?
Don't know about the floodlights but that spotlight on level with the half way line was a pain, I'm surprised their goalkeeper never complained to the ref who had a top name Mr A.R.Hall

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 08-08-2006, 23:26   #5
I am Banned

Getting a roof maybe a start, especially after tonight certainly a drenching & winter ain't even upon us!!

Lol Bagpuss yeh that light was bright, what was it on for?
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:09   #6

[quote=Doug]There were a few gaps around the mid terrace tonight, I also felt that the turnout was little disappointing for whatever reason I had expected more. Maybe when the lads settle down a little and start winning the gate will rise a little.

What worried me was where the extra 3000 we could have fitted in would have gone - there wasn't a seat to be had & the away end looked pretty full until all the tough north easteners went & hid under the terrace roof when the rain started.
Ashley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Dad
until all the tough north easteners went & hid under the terrace roof when the rain started.
Hehehehehehe that was so funny we were waiting for how long they would run & hide under shelter - so maybe not so tough after all LOL
Old 09-08-2006, 08:36   #8

I feel that I have to complain over the way the supporters under the shed were treated. First they were told you can have all the full length of the whinney Hill Terrace, then after the rain started, the supporters who were at the coppice end of the terrace were shunted along to the clayton end. What with these extra bodies, and the people taking shelter from the Clayton end, you just could not move, it was all getting a little dangerous. My Grandsons wanted to go to the Loo, and they had one hell of a job to get out.Half a Terrace that is supposedly to hold approx 450 people, had now become shelter for about 1200, bodies. something has to be done about this situation because it's going to happen a lot more, with the increase in away supporters, and the bad weather to come. if there is no covering behind the goals people will stop attending, when it's raining. Regarding the attendance figure given, I would have thought well over 4000,the stand was full, even allowing for Directors ect, ther would have been over 1100 sat down, I also think that Darlington brought more like 1100 than 700 odd. yes I agree that consistently knocking the gate down by so many will lead not only to trouble for the Club, but will give stanley a bad name , and laughing stock, amongst League 2 clubs. So come on Eric get that Covering on at least the Clayton end, please.

Last edited by Tommy McQueen; 09-08-2006 at 08:38.
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:41   #9
I am Banned

Yeah it looked very squished at that end Tommy certainly pathetic to have segregation then break it at whinney end or whats the point of having it - plus could cause a lot of trouble & safety issues, though there was a safety officer over there. I braved the rain rather than brave the squishing, but it is a cause for concern to which i hope the club will take note of, as problems come to light.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:50   #10
rob

the numbers coming into the ground through all turnstiles are monitored electronically and the real time attendance is displayed on at least five monitors around the ground. our systems for counting spectators into the ground cost nearly £10,000 and have been approved by all bodies that we are answerable to, including the county council and the footall league.

the post makes very serious allegations against the club, it is at best uneducated and could cause all kinds of trouble, if anyone is in any doubt as to the suitability of our monitoring equipment then please raise your concerns with me and i will be happy to show you our system.

rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Coley has just been on Sky slagging off the people of Accrington for not attending tonights game. The attendance was given as 2667 when I and lots of others around me heard that we laughed as it was clear there was a lot more than that. In my opinion if we continue to give the attendance figure lower and I mean a lot lower than the actual number the tax man is going to notice and in the eyes of the away fans we become a laughing stock for having such a poor support.

Even for allowing for the Eric factor I was expecting a few more on tonight, where's the roof!!!
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:51   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Don't know about the floodlights but that spotlight on level with the half way line was a pain, I'm surprised their goalkeeper never complained to the ref who had a top name Mr A.R.Hall
Perhaps that one was especially bright to make up for the middle light on the stand side which has had a bulb out for two years?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:32   #12
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
the numbers coming into the ground through all turnstiles are monitored electronically and the real time attendance is displayed on at least five monitors around the ground. our systems for counting spectators into the ground cost nearly £10,000 and have been approved by all bodies that we are answerable to, including the county council and the footall league.

the post makes very serious allegations against the club, it is at best uneducated and could cause all kinds of trouble, if anyone is in any doubt as to the suitability of our monitoring equipment then please raise your concerns with me and i will be happy to show you our system.

rob
Ok, does the new system count all bodies coming through the turnstiles or just paying supporters. The attendance figure given does it include everyone in the ground, season ticket holders, sponsers etc. Does the system tell you if a certain area of the ground is full because if it does then it doesn't work very good as you found out last night when too many people where admitted to the seating area and you had to offer them their money back or go and stand in the rain.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:49   #13

I also heard JC's rant on SKY last night and was dismayed to hear him taking out his frustratons about a mediocre performance (apart from the first 30 mins) by criticising the attendance. Especially silly was his suggestion that lack of interest was the reason for the club's disappearance in 1962.

I actually think a crowd of 2700 on a cold, wet tues night was quite respectable, especially when compared with the 'crowds' we were getting 10, 5, or even 2 years ago.

Just because we're in the football league doesn't necessarily mean that we're suddenly going to be drawing in weekly crowds of 4-5000. A huge problem is that most of the people in Accy already support much larger, more established teams, eg BFC, BRFC, MUFC, It'll take years for us to regularly attract 5000 fans (not that theres any guarantee we will - think of mid 90s Wimbledon!). This can only be done by establishing ouselves as a decent football league side. We're heading in the right direction, so if we all keep united and get behind the team as much as poss, i'm sure this will happen
This Charming Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:03   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Charming Man
I also heard JC's rant on SKY last night and was dismayed to hear him taking out his frustratons about a mediocre performance (apart from the first 30 mins) by criticising the attendance. Especially silly was his suggestion that lack of interest was the reason for the club's disappearance in 1962.

I actually think a crowd of 2700 on a cold, wet tues night was quite respectable, especially when compared with the 'crowds' we were getting 10, 5, or even 2 years ago.

Just because we're in the football league doesn't necessarily mean that we're suddenly going to be drawing in weekly crowds of 4-5000. A huge problem is that most of the people in Accy already support much larger, more established teams, eg BFC, BRFC, MUFC, It'll take years for us to regularly attract 5000 fans (not that theres any guarantee we will - think of mid 90s Wimbledon!). This can only be done by establishing ouselves as a decent football league side. We're heading in the right direction, so if we all keep united and get behind the team as much as poss, i'm sure this will happen
Spot on fella, there are only so many football fans in Accrington & many have other allegiances. When entrance fees were less, floating fans could have there fix of 2 teams. Now we are probably a real rival to our near neighbours. Expect to see less & less BFC & BRFC fans as we climb the leagues.

Standing on the Clayton Terrace you could tell there were only 2600 on it was empty!!!!

Good NEws though Macclesfield had 1800 on !

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:00   #15
Resting in Peace

"I would have thought well over 4000,the stand was full, even allowing for Directors ect, ther would have been over 1100 sat down, I also think that Darlington brought more like 1100 than 700 odd"

What is it with you people? We have never had anything like a full house on here. Rovers v. Burnley cup tie in 1960 with 56,000 on - now that was a full house - I only saw the ball when it was hoofed in the air! Last night on the Clayton end we were moaning about what a poor gate it was - 2600 was obviously about right. I don't think the weather was an excuse, as it was perfectly OK about the time most people would have been setting off for the ground - plenty of lovely wet T-shirts to be seen later though. The Accy public will NOT turn out in big numbers unless we are riding high in the league, or on a good cup run, and comparisons with the fold-up 44 years ago are completely valid. It hurt like hell to see the poor turn out for such a momentous occasion, but it's no good beating ourselves up about it. The lack of a roof IS a factor and if we don't speculate on a roof very soon things will only get worse. C'mon Eric, swallow your pride and get some investment in please.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..