Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 16:21   #361

Re: Spire farm development

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
Horses played an important part in the life of the town at one time. We got milk from one of the farms up Sandy Lane and it was delivered by horse and small cart. The driver was a man called Jim. My mother took a jug out to the cart, and Jim used a ladle to fill it from one of the large round containers. There was a small step on the back of the cart and he let us ride along on it for a short distance. That was the closest I came to a horse.

I didn't know Bullough's rented the field where the college is now, and I don't remember the horses. There was a high stone wall around the field.
JoanR mentioned getting milk delivered from a farmer called Jim. I think that was my father. We used to live at West Farm. The horse was called "Paddy". I have a photo of him delivering milk as you described - if anyone is interested.
ataylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2013, 21:00   #362
Junior Member+

Ataylo, we moved to Cobham Road in the summer of 1946, and it is from then that I remember Jim delivering our milk with his horse and cart for several years. Does that fit in with when your father was doing it? I don't remember him delivering it on Barnfield St. where we were previously, although he might have.
I would like to see the photo.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 16:42   #363

JoanR my father moved to West Farm in 1946. I was born in 1949. I think we moved to bottled milk and aquired a van in the mid 50's. So it should fit in with your time frame. The photo was taken around 1951/2 because I'm in it but very young. It also shows 2 other children on the cart getting a ride as you described and I think it was taken in the street that ran parallel to Abbey st between Sandy Lane and Plantation St. Might have been Chapel St.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (347.8 KB, 54 views)
ataylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 00:30   #364
Junior Member+

It's a lovely photo of the time, and thanks for posting it, Ataylo. The milk cart is as I remember, with the large wheels and the curved rail at the side. Your father always wore that flat cap as well. I remember the switch to bottled milk, but couldn't say when it started.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 13:58   #365

Mr RHFOY
Accrington businessman in court over threat to slit wife's throat (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 07-06-2013, 14:05   #366
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

At what point does an ex 'Businessman' just get called a yob, a wife beater a...

well you know the idea, no better than anyone else?

Or should we be forgiving just because he had a business and for some reason this puts him, for some reason, above the ordinary pleb?
Eric and maxthecollie like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:28   #367
God Member

Some of his posts did seem wild and irrational - obvious signs of a man under stress.

As for being a 'business man', I suppose the more you have to lose, the greater you feel the loss.

I do not condone domestic violence (heaven forbid, I have had some !).

There are too many psychopaths in our society, and they are the ones who tend to acquire wealth by trampling others down on their way up.
derekgas likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 17:03   #368
Senior Member+

I hate to say it but i told you so , the man was and probably still is a nutter!!!!! You only had to look at what he did to the spire and its land to get the idea of his character.
cashman and maxthecollie like this.
Old 08-06-2013, 23:02   #369
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I hate to say it but i told you so , the man was and probably still is a nutter!!!!! You only had to look at what he did to the spire and its land to get the idea of his character.
Seems yeh were spot on me owd tatter.
walkinman221 likes this.
Old 16-06-2013, 20:33   #370
Senior Member+

Apparently loads of police activity at the spire today was due to the police finding a cannabis farm in the bungalow attached to the main building
Old 16-06-2013, 20:37   #371
Senior Member+

Quote:
Apparently loads of police activity at the spire today was due to the police finding a cannabis farm in the bungalow attached to the main building
coppers were up there yesterday
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 20:44   #372
Senior Member+

Yes they were so was mr foy i think, thats why the fuzz were in attendance. They must have discovered the weed yesterday and removed it today, plenty of them to.
Old 16-06-2013, 20:53   #373
Senior Member+

yeh we saw Mr Foy up there
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 21:39   #374

Quote:
Almost 300 cannabis plants were found at East Side Spire Farm on Sunday. - Accrington Observer

I have just read this entire thread from the beginning.... wow!!!
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 19:46   #375
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekibird View Post
Almost 300 cannabis plants were found at East Side Spire Farm on Sunday. - Accrington Observer

I have just read this entire thread from the beginning.... wow!!!
Wow indeed

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..