Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/missing-child-in-portugal-madeleine-mccann-30497.html)

grego 04-05-2007 09:19

Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Looks like a 3 year old child has been abducted from a hotel room in Portugal while her parents were out at a nearby restaurant, whilst this is awful and I really hope they find her safe and well, what were they thinking leaving them like that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6623127.stm

Less 04-05-2007 09:41

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:

The family was on holiday with a group of nine adults and eight children.
The thought does spring to mind that these adults could have taken it in turns to sit in the apartment while the children slept, between nine of them they wouldn't have lost much of the evening and it would have been the responsible thing to do. :mad:

I do hope though that the young child is soon found and returned to her parents safe and well.

flashy 04-05-2007 09:42

heard that on the news this morning, my sister is going away tomorrow to ibiza for 2 weeks with the kids, its so scarey, i know it aint going to happen again but i just hope to god she keeps an extra eye on them whilst out there

grego 04-05-2007 09:58

I think its really frightening and agree with Less regarding rotation for babysitting, aren't Mark Warner holidays specially designed for families and offer babysitting facility? Or am I thinking of a different company, needless to say hope she's found safe and well the parents must be going through hell.

flashy 04-05-2007 10:00

yeah that was on the news too grego, they are supposed to provide an excellent cc service, seems it isnt that way though

AccyMad 04-05-2007 10:12

It said on the news this morning that there is a babysitting service at this resort but that just means that someone goes round checking on any kids left in their care every half hour. Whilst I have every sympathy for the family this has happened to and hope the little girl is found safe and well, there's no way I would ever have left mine alone in those circumstances especially at such a young age

flashy 04-05-2007 10:13

exactly accymad

garinda 04-05-2007 10:40

'babysitting is available on request at additional charge.'

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/summer_h...club/childcare

There is no way I would leave a three year old alone, presumably locked in a room, unless a baby sitter was sat outside, and had access to the child if she cried.

That said, I hope she's soon found safe and well.

SPUGGIE J 04-05-2007 11:13

Its negligence outright negligence on the part of the parents. If you have young children abroad your fist and only concern should be their safety not a meal and fun with pals. Even if there is a child checking service or babysitting services that is besies the point THE CHILD COMES FIRST!! If they had wanted time on their own yes the sitting duties could be shared as has been suggested yet they were complaicent. Hope the find the little un and she is fine but sympathy for her parents aint got any and hope the food was worth the anguish they feel now.

grego 04-05-2007 11:18

I agree Spuggie, checking on a 3 year old every half an hour just isn't good enough, what happens if the child wakes up, possible fire anything could happen. I would never leave my children with this kind of babysitting service, to me a babysitting service should be someone actually being inside your apartment looking after the children, but once again really hope they find her.

WillowTheWhisp 04-05-2007 11:32

I wouldn't dream of leaving a 3 year old alone for half an hour. :( I do hope she is found safe and well.

SPUGGIE J 04-05-2007 11:50

Was listening to the report on it on News 24 and how people were saying at home the child was never out of site. Yet they go abroad and it seems they left all those safeguards they use at home in a "cupboard" even though they are in essence in a alien enviroment of which they have no knowledge. Madness absolute madness.

grego 04-05-2007 12:29

I doubt very much that this is the first time they'd left her whilst abroad, someone has been watching to know that there was a child there and that she was left alone. I feel for the poor little girl who's been let down by her parents, I dont even want to think what might be happening to her.

panther 04-05-2007 15:04

i couldnt leave my kids on thier own! they either came with me or i just didnt go out!!

hope they find the poor little mite

slinky 04-05-2007 15:15

Omg that is awful :mad: I just hope and pray that the little mite is found safe and well.

Who in their right mind would go out and leave a 3 year old baby ( cos that is all a 3 year old is....a bloody baby).

It just doesn't bare thinking about.:(

flashy 04-05-2007 19:06

has anyone heard anymore about it? have they found her yet?

slinky 04-05-2007 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 419571)
has anyone heard anymore about it? have they found her yet?

I haven't heard anything, but then again not seen a right lot of news since I finished work.

flashy 04-05-2007 19:15

nope, nothing yet

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...264104,00.html

grego 04-05-2007 20:09

There were also 2yr old twin boys in the room, what surprised me was the couple are both doctors, I must admit when I first saw the news I immediately thought the parents would be chavs.

slinky 04-05-2007 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by grego (Post 419588)
There were also 2yr old twin boys in the room, what surprised me was the couple are both doctors, I must admit when I first saw the news I immediately thought the parents would be chavs.

Even the most professional parent can be a bad parent.

grego 04-05-2007 20:13

Yeah your right, family friends said they'd never leave them at home so why think its ok when you go on holiday.

Gayle 04-05-2007 20:16

Whilst I'm very sad that a child has been abducted I can't help but feel absolutely furious at the parents.

What's most annoying is that there are so many restaurants in tourist resorts that have no objection to kids coming along. In all the years we've been going abroad with the kids we've taken them out with us in the evening. To go out and leave your children behind is selfish and stupid.

grego 04-05-2007 20:18

I'm with you on that one Gayle, total stupidity, just hope she's found safe and well.

slinky 04-05-2007 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by grego (Post 419597)
I'm with you on that one Gayle, total stupidity, just hope she's found safe and well.

Even if she is found safe and well I think the parents capabilities should be brought into question by the social services.:mad:

Less 04-05-2007 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 419598)
Even if she is found safe and well I think the parents capabilities should be brought into question by the social services.:mad:

There will be a perfectly acceptable reason why two such parents could leave their children alone, it is the rest of us, the uneducated masses that make it difficult for children to be left alone for long periods without them being safe!
:rolleyes:

grego 04-05-2007 20:27

It would be interesting to see if the parents are charged with neglect or not, hopefully there will be a happy ending to it but either way neglect is neglect.

garinda 04-05-2007 20:58

Madeleine, who turns four next Friday, and her two-year-old twin brother and sister Sean and Amelie were left in their apartment alone as their parents dined at the tapas restaurant 200 yards away.

The resort offered a creche service but the couple opted to leave the children sleeping at the apartment, taking turns to check on them at regular intervals.

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...ortugal/497577

I really hope this child is found safely, and that her parent's are then prosecuted. They even have the cheek to complain the police aren't doing enough to find her, after leaving three young children unattended whilst they enjoyed their dinner.
By the way, the regular interval was an hour after last checking, according to latest reports.

Traceyb37 04-05-2007 21:00

Still no sign of her, how awful for the parents, but i would never have left my children alone not for one minute!
not in this day and age, when we were kids you could leave your door open and have no worries, it says they shut the shutters but left the windows and doors behind them unlocked!

Lets just hope she is found safe and well soon!

tracey

lillypad 04-05-2007 21:29

i totally agree who would leave a 3yr old i have a 2yr old girl and i would never dream of leaving her alone i would rather stop in and play scrabble which i'm rubbish at lol ,than leave her! i only have 2 babysitters that i would leave my kids with and thats there grandparents if they can't do it i stop in!!!! thats all there is to it. especially in a different country.

HOPE SHE IS SAFE AND WELL XX

slinky 04-05-2007 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 419601)
There will be a perfectly acceptable reason why two such parents could leave their children alone, it is the rest of us, the uneducated masses that make it difficult for children to be left alone for long periods without them being safe!
:rolleyes:

yeah i know exactly what you mean Less.

cashman 04-05-2007 22:51

have kept well away from this one as my language regarding the parents would have me struck off. hope the child is recovered safe, and hope those 2 SELFISH BARSTEWARDS are prosecuted.

katex 04-05-2007 23:24

Although feel was neglectful of the parents to leave them, and for all who have commented that "we would never leave our children in any circumstances" even popping to the shop or visiting our next door neighbour for a short while ? could not bring themselves to do this, myself included; incidents like this can happen within 5 minutes too. Let's concentrate firstly on wishing that this child is found and not cloud the searchers' efforts in this case.

Even if they had employed the services of the creche, they would probably have only visited the room at certain intervals anyway.

Don't know if anyone here remembers the Butlin's child patrol? They were just merely notified of parents going to the main entertainment halls for the night and only listened and inspected the outside of the chalets for any disturbances.
Remember well the tannoy announcements of "Baby crying in No.47" .. always thought this was a strange type of babysitting .. well, that would not go down very well these days, would it ? Or is it still acceptable ?

WillowTheWhisp 04-05-2007 23:44

I'm having second thoughts about this one. The first report I heard made it sound like they'd gone out for the evening and left the child alone in the hotel. The last report I heard they were dining in the hotel resort restaurant and could see the door of their room from where they were. That puts a different light on things. I have said I would never leave a 3 year old child alone but I've done it every night when mine were 3. They went to bed and were left alone upstairs in their own bedrooms whilst my husband and I would be downstairs in the dining room having our dinner. If all was quiet up there I never even looked in on them because to do so would have disturbed them. Does that make me a bad mother?

I do hope this little girl is found and that she's OK. The parents must be frantic with worry and probably did believe they didn't need the creche services as they were doing the job themselves just as the baby checking service would have done.

SPUGGIE J 04-05-2007 23:52

No it dosnt Willow but the more that comes out the more it seems it wasnt as it was first made out.

garinda 05-05-2007 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 419718)
I'm having second thoughts about this one. The first report I heard made it sound like they'd gone out for the evening and left the child alone in the hotel. The last report I heard they were dining in the hotel resort restaurant and could see the door of their room from where they were. That puts a different light on things. I have said I would never leave a 3 year old child alone but I've done it every night when mine were 3. They went to bed and were left alone upstairs in their own bedrooms whilst my husband and I would be downstairs in the dining room having our dinner. If all was quiet up there I never even looked in on them because to do so would have disturbed them. Does that make me a bad mother?

I do hope this little girl is found and that she's OK. The parents must be frantic with worry and probably did believe they didn't need the creche services as they were doing the job themselves just as the baby checking service would have done.

No, the restaurant they were visiting was off the complex, varying distances are given between 100 yards and 200 meters, as to how far away it was. The three children were last visited at nine, and the eldest child was discovered missing at ten. Even if one of the children woke up and was crying, this is unacceptable. They also decided not to pay for the babysitting service, which was available.

grego 05-05-2007 07:38

The newsreader this morning was trying to make out it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do as the resort is very safe and child friendly and the restaurant is on complex, just round the corner from their apartment. Sorry but I still dont think its acceptable, my children are upstairs alone during the evening this is normal, I'm in the house, all the doors are locked and I can hear any move they make it is not the same thing at all.

panther 05-05-2007 07:58

was just gonna say that myself grego, i dont check on my kids either, if there is a problem i will definatley know about it! but i would never leave em in the house on their own, not even sit in a neighbours house, they come with me or i dont go at all.

lettie 05-05-2007 08:09

The fact remains that there is a child missing in a foreign country. The parents must be frantic and probably beside themselves with guilt and worry. However, the parents have been extremely negligent and foolish and hopefully this incident will be investigated thoroughly by the police child protection dept and social services on their return home. Had they employed the babysitting service, even if it turns out that checks are only half hourly, the parents would have then been seen to have tried to ensure their childrens' safety.

We all know that young children can wake up at frequent intervals and get up to all sorts of mischief, even when their parents are in the same house, but at least the parents are within earshot when in the same house (my mum will testify to this because she used to catch me getting up to all sorts when I was supposed to be asleep). :)

entwisi 05-05-2007 08:27

Julie and I would never leave Siobhan alone. on hols we put her to bed and sit on the balcony talking, playing cards etc. At no point would we leave her alone even for two minutes.

I do hope the little one is safe and well but I fear thats not going to be teh case

WillowTheWhisp 05-05-2007 08:27

There are so many conflicting reports on this. I don't think I can have a proper opinion until there has been an investigation. To say a resort is safe is poppycock because by virtue of the simple fact that it is a resort they can have absolutely no idea what kind of people are there at any given time.

flashy 05-05-2007 08:53

come to think of it, was the child kidnapped or has something else happened to her? sorry to put more of a downer on it but it has been know before

panther 05-05-2007 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 419782)
come to think of it, was the child kidnapped or has something else happened to her? sorry to put more of a downer on it but it has been know before

or was it a member of the family??
if she was kidnapped why did no one hear her, yet if she knew someone she would come quietly!:(

horrible to think off but it does happen

Tinkerbelle 05-05-2007 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 419770)
There are so many conflicting reports on this. I don't think I can have a proper opinion until there has been an investigation.

That's my opinion too. I don't care who you are, we all have and still do make mistakes as parents, just sadly, their decision (which probably seemed fine at the time) has ended with this terrible situation.

I don't feel I have any right to 'judge' these parents. The only thing I feel for them right now is absolute sympathy that their little sweetheart is missing. They must be at this time, in their own personal hell. I can't even begin to imagine what they are actually going through.

I hope and pray this little girl is found safely but as the time goes on that she is missing it seems ever more less likely .....

Just remember when your criticising the parents that, they will have to live with the guilt of this one terrible decision for the rest of their lives ..... but for the grace of God, springs to mind

accymel 05-05-2007 11:43

Updated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6627605.stm

Police have a suspect in mind for possible abduction & in area of resort.

lancsdave 05-05-2007 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 419810)
Updated

Police have a suspect in mind for possible abduction & in area of resort.

Whilst having every sympathy for the parents while their child is missing surely this bit is way over the top and a questionable decision about taxpayers money.

"Three Family Liaison Officers from Leicestershire Police are due to arrive in the Algarve at the request of the Foreign Office."

Do we assume all other children in Leicestershire are safe and sound ?

Tinkerbelle 05-05-2007 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 419814)
questionable decision about taxpayers money.

Absolutely not! Send even more over at the expense of the tax payer if it means that little girl can be brought home safely. Hell, I'd pay for it out of my own pocket if I had the money!

accymel 05-05-2007 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 419814)

Do we assume all other children in Leicestershire are safe and sound ?

Ask martyn or V hehehehehehehehehehhe:D

Dont know what the usual amount of liason officers that handle one case of missing child:confused:

accymel 05-05-2007 12:14

As much as i have sympathy with the family at this really bad time, yes im no perfect parent myself but some peoples brains go out of the window when on holiday even worse abroad!! This family is paying the consequences enough without my input on it, just hope this child is found safe & unharmed without anything sinister untoward as i get the feeling:(

lancsdave 05-05-2007 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle (Post 419815)
Absolutely not! Send even more over at the expense of the tax payer if it means that little girl can be brought home safely. Hell, I'd pay for it out of my own pocket if I had the money!

It's not their job to find her though !!

Tinkerbelle 05-05-2007 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 419819)
It's not their job to find her though !!

Yes it is, it's their job to make sure the Portugese police are doing their job properly and report back to the family on developments.

Would you have the same opinion if you knew there had been 6 family liason officers working with the Soham families?

lancsdave 05-05-2007 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle (Post 419821)
Yes it is, it's their job to make sure the Portugese police are doing their job properly and report back to the family on developments.

Would you have the same opinion if you knew there had been 6 family liason officers working with the Soham families?

I'm questioning how many it needs, not the actual need for one at all. And yes I would question why Soham needed 6 if thats what happened.

Tinkerbelle 05-05-2007 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 419822)
I'm questioning how many it needs, not the actual need for one at all. And yes I would question why Soham needed 6 if thats what happened.

LOL! Your just sore 'cus they're getting all that sunshine :D

Seriously Dave, if you read the book Holly Well's dad wrote you would see how invaluable family liaison officers are to these families.

lancsdave 05-05-2007 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle (Post 419824)
LOL! Your just sore 'cus they're getting all that sunshine :D

Far from it, have you been outside today ? :).

SPUGGIE J 05-05-2007 12:41

Forty hours since the sad episode started and it dosnt seem to be getting far but I hope the little lassie is found soon and is non the worse for this ordeal.

WillowTheWhisp 05-05-2007 14:10

"It was hours before the local police turned up and we're talking two bobbies that totally downplayed the incident and said that Maddie had maybe just wandered off."

Maybe they said that in order to try to reassure the parents that she probably hadn't come to any harm. They are hardly likely to say "OMG she's probably being raped and murdered!" are they? I think it's unfair of the relatives to be criticising the police.

panther 05-05-2007 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 419852)
Maybe they said that in order to try to reassure the parents that she probably hadn't come to any harm. They are hardly likely to say "OMG she's probably being raped and murdered!" are they? I think it's unfair of the relatives to be criticising the police.

thats just it willow, the parents are probably fearing the worst, i know if it was me i would be, its every parents nightmare!

WillowTheWhisp 05-05-2007 14:37

Which is probably why the police try to play it down in the hope that it will all turn out OK.

panther 05-05-2007 14:41

i really hope it does, hope its good news. fingers crossed!!

garinda 05-05-2007 14:41

Responding to criticism that the police had been slow to respond, Mr Encarnacao said officers arrived at the scene 10 minutes after being alerted to the disappearance.

An investigation unit began work within 30 minutes, he added.

Lilly 05-05-2007 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by grego (Post 419588)

That was my first thought too.When a friend mentioned it to me I thought they must be dobbers.Just goes to show doesn't it,that we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

MUMMIBOO 05-05-2007 18:02

Did they not think when they left the children in the room that those children could have also been lost if there had been a fire!! the room was locked with the babies inside!

Only hope and pray the little girl is found safe and well.

grannyclaret 06-05-2007 11:09

Whatever the right and wrongs of this dreadful nightmare is,,time is marching on and that child must be petrified,,,MY PRAYERS HUMBLE AS THEY ARE ,are with her and her family...

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 12:44

We should not be castigating the parents for what they did.......THEY will be punishing themselves enough without us offering our two pennorth.
Apparently the restaurant was 40 yards from their front door......I'm sure all of us have left our children playing within sight in the past. It is easy to pass judgement on something like this, but we only have the facts via newspapers etc.

cashman 06-05-2007 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 420404)
We should not be castigating the parents for what they did.......THEY will be punishing themselves enough without us offering our two pennorth.
Apparently the restaurant was 40 yards from their front door......I'm sure all of us have left our children playing within sight in the past. It is easy to pass judgement on something like this, but we only have the facts via newspapers etc.

have to disagree margaret, big differance between playing within sight n left in a room sleeping, plus these are supposedly educated people not chavs, also you can eat anywhere in europe WITH your children as europeans tend to do.whilst agreeing newspapers print sensationalist crap the fact remains= THEY LEFT THE KIDS ALONE IN A ROOM, whilst they went to feed their faces- REPREHENSIBLE. to me.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 13:02

Well, Cashie, you are right about the dining in Europe with children. Perhaps the couple felt that their children were safe because they could see the apartment. I still don't think we should be judging them......as i say, the news media can tell a story with the bias to make it newsworthy...and we may not be getting the whole story......besides, these parents will be doing their own punishment until their child is found. I always think that perhaps we could all be a bit more charitable.......and realise there but for the grace of God.

katex 06-05-2007 16:36

Well, at least the Portuguese are rallying and giving comfort without judgement.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswi..._template.html

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 16:40

Yes, and isn't that a good thing......can you imagine what these parents are feeling at the moment. You wouldn't want to be in their shoes for anything.
All the parents would want to do is turn back the clock.

Tinkerbelle 06-05-2007 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 420477)
Well, at least the Portuguese are rallying and giving comfort without judgement.

I don't mind admitting I found that very hard to read. I was choking back the tears. That poor, poor family.

I really don't know how they are managing to function ... I swear, I would have to be permanently sedated.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 16:57

Compassion costs nothing. Any one of us could be in a similar position. My heart goes out to them....as it would to any mother who is living through a similar nightmare.

Less 06-05-2007 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 420482)
Compassion costs nothing. Any one of us could be in a similar position. My heart goes out to them....as it would to any mother who is living through a similar nightmare.

No problem with compassion, but they used bad judgment, if this had been a 'chav' family the press would be all over them, we all hope the little girl is returned unharmed but every child is every parents responsibility, there where enough adults in that party to make sure the children weren't left on their own.

I truly hope the child is returned unharmed, but no-one should be allowed to duck under the responsibility of how the child was left vulnerable in the first place.

:(

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 17:29

Yes, Less...and we are all human and capable of making poor judgements.....and it matters not what the social standing of this family are......they are surely in a very lonely place at this moment......saying to themselves 'if only.....'

condemnation of their bad judgement doesn't help them..... and believe me thay will KNOW what millions of people are thinking......and that is that they are bad parents. They made a wrong call and we can all do that.

flashy 06-05-2007 17:34

no one heard owt yet?

grego 06-05-2007 17:36

Been watching news 24, nothing yet.

Less 06-05-2007 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 420491)
Yes, Less...and we are all human and capable of making poor judgements.....and it matters not what the social standing of this family are......they are surely in a very lonely place at this moment......saying to themselves 'if only.....'

condemnation of their bad judgement doesn't help them..... and believe me thay will KNOW what millions of people are thinking......and that is that they are bad parents. They made a wrong call and we can all do that.

Strangely Margaret, we are fighting the same side here but from different view points, I have a very large amount of sympathy for the parents and what they are going through and no matter how much, 'there but for the grace of God go I you put forward', I still say that a party of nine adults and eight children that can't ensure that the children are always supervised is showing lack of judgment and care.

I will repeat that my main concern is that the child is returned safe and well.

but taking your child/children on holiday to a strange land and leaving him/her/them alone, is almost as bad as just giving your children a tenner and saying, "mummy is off on holiday look after yourself until I get back", that isn't tolerated and nor should just assuming they will be alright in a strange bedroom.

It is negligence and that is what has caused the problem in the first place.

katex 06-05-2007 17:52

I don't think anyone will diagree Less that, initially, does appear negligent of the parents, however, just hope that these thoughts are not affecting anybody's good wishes and efforts for the return of this little girl; she is the main concern at the moment.

I know they could take them with them in Europeon countries, but have found this extremely cruel at times too. Not so bad when a child is still in their pram (can sleep there anyway), but how often have you seen older children, running themselves ragged, sweating with little red faces and then the tiredness envelops them, they get slightly naughty and scoldings follow,that is not acceptable to me either.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 19:20

Well, Less....you are entitled to your point of view (as we all are)....and your observations may be right.....but like katex, I have seen children on the continent kept up until all hours......and they become over tired and fractious. Not a holiday for the parents or the children....well, not a relaxing one anyway. Maybe such young children should not be taken on european holdays.....maybe they would have been at much the same risk in this country too.
However you cut it, this family will never be the same again......even if the child is returned unharmed......the mother and father will never let them out of their sight again.

bullseyebarb 06-05-2007 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 420486)
No problem with compassion, but they used bad judgment, if this had been a 'chav' family the press would be all over them, we all hope the little girl is returned unharmed but every child is every parents responsibility, there where enough adults in that party to make sure the children weren't left on their own.

I truly hope the child is returned unharmed, but no-one should be allowed to duck under the responsibility of how the child was left vulnerable in the first place.

I agree. Once you have children, the rules change.

WillowTheWhisp 06-05-2007 19:33

I've had worrying moments when I thought one or other of my children was missing even though I was trying to keep an eye on them all the time. It's so easy to condemn people without knowing the full story.None of us were there at the time and there are so many conflicting stories in the press. I really don't think we should be condemning the parents. They probably thought it was kinder to let a tired child sleep than to drag her along to a meal she didn't want.

grego 06-05-2007 19:33

Although I can see everyones point of view too, we took Ellie abroad when she was two and when she was three, she came with us for dinner then we had a drink at the mini (kids) disco then at around 2100hrs we took a bottle of wine back to the room and put her to bed. I dont like seeing children out late or really around other people drinking but they did have other options open to them, I feel for them I really do and hopefully she'll be returned safe but what they did was irresponsible and that cant really be argued.

slinky 06-05-2007 19:44

Still no news as yet :mad: Every day I read the news hoping and praying there has been something. Poor little mite. I feel for the parents, yes it was irresponsible but if they had known they would never have let this happen.

It is every parents worse nightmare and thats why I wouldn't leave my children alone while I went out for a meal.

I will carry on hoping and praying for the safe return of this precious little girl. God only knows what them parents are going through.:(

mallard 06-05-2007 20:06

my prayers are for the little girl,s safe re-turns and i hope she is found safe and sound god bless to the family

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 20:07

Anyone who has children KNOWS what they are going through...it is your worst nightmare.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 420584)
my prayers are for the little girl,s safe re-turns and i hope she is found safe and sound god bless to the family

I second that mallard.

Less 06-05-2007 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 420587)
I second that mallard.

No problem with that, if I was a praying man, (and even though I'm not), I hope the child is returned unharmed. But they still left not just that child but the twins unguarded, (no mention of the other children), I have been on holiday, but wherever I went either I, my wife, or some other responsible adult, there with their own children, we would sacrifice our free time to make sure the children were cared for.

Again, I say, I hope the child is found safe and well, but Again, I say this is the parents responsibility as tragic as it may seem.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 20:35

Of course making sure your children are safe is a parents responsibility....do you think these parents will not know that? As i said they made a bad call, and they are paying in the worst way possible.
I made mistakes as a parent. I remember leaving my 12 week old baby in a pram parked outside the butchers shop......I only realised something was missing when I got home. I hurried back and she was still there.....OK it was 39 years ago, and life was a bit different then.

katex 06-05-2007 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 420605)
Again, I say, I hope the child is found safe and well, but Again, I say this is the parents responsibility as tragic as it may seem.

Well, we all perfect little parents on this thread aren't we Less ! Again
I plead let it drop for now .. judgement will be handed out later. Do not wish any negative feelings to distract the searchers which it could easily do.

As for the 'Chav' theme, not in agreement here with you .. they are already raising animosity world wide, and this thread proves it.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2007 20:38

My point precisely Katex, but perhaps I didn't say it as eloquently.
Well said.

WillowTheWhisp 06-05-2007 20:46

I've been in a state of panic when I thought one of my children was missing. We were in WH Smith's in Peterborough. She was about 4 and her sister was in a pushchair. One minute she was there by our side holding hands, the next minute she's slipped away and we were frantic, looked everywhere - couldn't see her in the shop or outside in the (pedestrian) street and I was panic stricken - it turned out she'd spotted a children's reading area down the bottom end of the shop and was sitting at a table looking at books. She must have been round the other side of a shelf looking at the books when we first looked down there.

According to some of the judgements passed on this family in Portugal I'm a lousy parent and should have had both my children taken into care.

Less 06-05-2007 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 420617)
Well, we all perfect little parents on this thread aren't we Less ! Again
I plead let it drop for now .. judgement will be handed out later. Do not wish any negative feelings to distract the searchers which it could easily do.

As for the 'Chav' theme, not in agreement here with you .. they are already raising animosity world wide, and this thread proves it.

No, not perfect parents just the one that tried perhaps that little bit harder, otherwise we would have been in the headlines years ago!

I have never been perfect, but so far as my children are concerned they always came first, if I had to sacrifice a bit of my enjoyment to ensure their safety then I would.

So far as chavs are concerned I only mentioned it because if the parents had been dole huskies they would have been ripped to ribbons by now, but no, these are reasonably intelligent 'middle class' people that still either make mistakes or don't care about their children and so don't deserve to be criticised?

MUMMIBOO 06-05-2007 22:13

I would never lock anyone i a room never for fear of fire that would be the first thing on my mind not having my child kidnapped i have a fear of fire one of my best friends was burnt in a fire when she was 4 and trust me i know the consequences.

Of course i am not going around thinking oh stupid idiots should never have left the kids in there in the first place i certainly think the same as everyone else I Hope and pray they find the child safe and sound. I know it was a one off and they will do anything in their power to get the child back as would anyone. I only mentioned i wouldnt have left them in there for fear of fire that can happen at any time to anyone.

Sorry if i seem to have offended anyone i certainly didnt mean to.

Tinkerbelle 06-05-2007 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 420632)
these are reasonably intelligent 'middle class' people that still either make mistakes

Don't we all make mistakes at some point! This isn't an 'I'm a better better parent than you' thread. There is a little girl out there lost, have some compassion FFS!

grannyclaret 07-05-2007 00:23

Surely There Must Be Some News Soon, Its Awfal For Us Waiting ,,how Must The Parents Be Feeling

slinky 07-05-2007 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 420745)
Surely There Must Be Some News Soon, Its Awfal For Us Waiting ,,how Must The Parents Be Feeling

I know GC, :( I am watching the news updates every hour and still nothing.

If the police over there think they know roughly where she is and they keep saying they have a artist impression why are they not moving more quickly?:confused:
I mean they probably are doing everything they can but time is ticking by.

As you say, if its awful for us waiting......what must her poor family be going through.

panther 07-05-2007 08:00

1 Attachment(s)
On Saturday, police in the Algarve said they had a "profile" of a man they suspected of kidnapping little Maddy But a Portuguese daily claims the image they have put together is based only on the rear view of a man seen with a child in the area...........why would you put a image together of someone from behind???

its been nearly 4 days ago.......and nothing, its not looking good, BUT never give up hopeAttachment 9131

flashy 07-05-2007 08:40

i take it they dont have cctv in portugal

grego 07-05-2007 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 420628)
I've been in a state of panic when I thought one of my children was missing. We were in WH Smith's in Peterborough. She was about 4 and her sister was in a pushchair. One minute she was there by our side holding hands, the next minute she's slipped away and we were frantic, looked everywhere - couldn't see her in the shop or outside in the (pedestrian) street and I was panic stricken - it turned out she'd spotted a children's reading area down the bottom end of the shop and was sitting at a table looking at books. She must have been round the other side of a shelf looking at the books when we first looked down there.

According to some of the judgements passed on this family in Portugal I'm a lousy parent and should have had both my children taken into care.

Thats totally different Willow, you did not make a decision to leave your child, she wandered off, its totally different.
Hope today brings some news, my thoughts are with them and the little girl.

panther 07-05-2007 08:50

flashytart, dont look like it, you would think they would, wouldnt you, but they say crime is low there!!

Owd Bert 07-05-2007 09:47

If AccyWeb had a weekly award for the "BEST & SENSIBLE" postings on any particular thread, and I was the adjudicator, I would award it without hesitation to LESS for his contributions to this thread.

grannyclaret 07-05-2007 10:59

I just keep thinking that the little girl must be scared to death...Poor little mite

slinky 07-05-2007 11:16

Police searching for missing Madeleine McCann are investigating reports a man was seen dragging a girl towards a marina close to the Portuguese resort where she vanished.

A balding man was reportedly seen with a young girl heading towards the marina in the town of Lagos.

On Saturday, detectives said they had a "profile" of a man they suspected of kidnapping Madeleine McCann.

But a Portuguese daily newspaper claims the image they have put together is based only on the rear view of a man seen with a child in the area.
The paper, 24 Horas, said: "The person was seen from behind.
"We see more of the back of the head and the hair rather than the actual features in the portrait of the man that was seen with a child that night."

"If police in the UK were in this situation they would try to round out the picture," he said.
"The fact that Portugese police haven't done this suggests to me they may know more than they are letting on."