Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2006, 00:51   #136
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Which school did Vito & Isacc go to.?
cant remember al it wasnt mine, but kev went to holy family, hes one i can remember even though i didnt.
Old 19-07-2006, 20:57   #137
God Member

just had a flashback , must early onset of Alziemhers .....no idea where it came from , names of another couple of girls who used to hang out on the deck and Blue Dahlia during the late 60's , Betty Hope and Pat Cornwall ...........
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 22:57   #138
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
just had a flashback , must early onset of Alziemhers .....no idea where it came from , names of another couple of girls who used to hang out on the deck and Blue Dahlia during the late 60's , Betty Hope and Pat Cornwall ...........
she was brought up on newark street if i remember correctly slim with black hair - i never knew her lol dont remember betty though.
Old 20-07-2006, 02:06   #139
God Member

Cashman ....... sounds like we were around at the same time , in that case you might remember Tommy Allen , lived on Pearl st. rode a Vespa and also a pair of sisters who lived on Barnes st. in Church ,
Old 20-07-2006, 06:54   #140
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
and also a pair of sisters who lived on Barnes st. in Church ,
Go on, tell him, Mr C.
Old 20-07-2006, 12:21   #141
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Tony Palmer is still in Great Harwood. (If it isn't Tony it is his brother David.)I know his daughter and son-in-law, his daughter has not long since had her 2nd child.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 15:52   #142
Resting in Peace

This reminded me of the places where my Mum told me she used to hang out in the early 1920's. The favourite place was similar .. everybody used to walk up and down Blackburn Road then.. that's where she met my Dad.
One long parade of young people.

Wasn't a Calder or Blue Dahlia in those days, so 'cept for the Sunday Schools, local dances, where else could you go to meet a future spouse ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 06:52   #143
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Go on, tell him, Mr C.
allways been a bit nervous about asking for an answer about this post ,so waited for a while, but what the hell, I think over time .........well were talking nearly 40 years ago .
no offense meant or intended for anyone

Last edited by steeljack; 30-04-2007 at 07:00.
Old 30-04-2007, 07:58   #144

Me too, whats the answer.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 08:01   #145
mez
God Member

oh just realized alan ......yes it will be about 40yrs ago girls used to meet their dates at redmans too with lads hanging on railings on "deck"
Old 01-05-2007, 22:29   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
oh just realized alan ......yes it will be about 40yrs ago girls used to meet their dates at redmans too with lads hanging on railings on "deck"
i didnt mez - always arranged to meet em outside Copper Kettle,cos you could see what they looked like from peeping through the window of the Market Room of the Commercial also if they stood you up,it never interfered with drinking time.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:26   #147
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
allways been a bit nervous about asking for an answer about this post ,so waited for a while, but what the hell, I think over time .........well were talking nearly 40 years ago .
no offense meant or intended for anyone
Sorry, it was just the Alzheimer's kicking in. I was getting my streets in Church mixed up. I realised after I'd made the post that the sisters Cashy knows lived on a completely different street to the one you're talking about, so it's a case of mistaken identity. Anyway, nurse is coming round with my pills now...
Old 02-05-2007, 09:52   #148
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Sorry, it was just the Alzheimer's kicking in. I was getting my streets in Church mixed up. I realised after I'd made the post that the sisters Cashy knows lived on a completely different street to the one you're talking about, so it's a case of mistaken identity. Anyway, nurse is coming round with my pills now...
Thank god for that thought it was ME with alzheimers, so i kept a discreet silence on the subject.
Old 02-05-2007, 14:17   #149
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i also wondered if steeljack was on the wrong street? i knew sisters who lived just around the corner from the far end of barnes street= france street,so that could be an easy error after all these years.
Old 30-07-2007, 13:15   #150
Super Moderator

Just realised that it's exactly 40 years since I began my apprenticeship on the Deck. Start of the school holidays, 1967, and I, as a callow 16-year old, park myself on the bench by the town hall with my more worldly-wise mate, Max. Feeling pretty cool in my new Levi 501's, bought from Milletts (next door to the Commercial) and worn in the bath to shrink, along with a new pair of Clarks desert boots. Still very much in awe of the older chaps like Isaac, Florrie and Vito, but the atmosphere is laid back and mellow and I soon feel at home. Little did I know that the next few years were going to be some of the most memorable of my life...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..