Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56   #166
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Deck

the guy called steve, shaz, could well be an old mate of mine,who died recently.
Old 04-08-2007, 19:49   #167
Super Moderator

He was a pretty stylish mod back in the 60's. Remember chatting to him on the Deck and admiring his full-length leather coat...a very desirable item back then.
Old 04-08-2007, 20:20   #168
God Member

I'm remembering there was "sub-group" amongst the folks who used to hang out on the deck , and they were the lads who went to the Grammer school on Blackburn rd. think one was Ian Alveston? , Graham Greenhalgh and others whose names I forget
I remember one year (67 or 68) meeting up with a bunch of them on a camp site near Dunkirk Belgium , me and a mate were 'hitching' to Spain but made a wrong turn at Calais , and ended up living on mussels and chips for a week,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 21:54   #169
Super Moderator

Don't recall Ian Alveston ever going to the Grammar School. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Tunny or Ernie Lee?
Old 04-08-2007, 22:07   #170
God Member

Probably am , just thought he was one of that bunch , as you said in another post its 40 years ago now, there is no chance I would put money down on being able to pick out anyone from a line-up

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:25   #171
Senior Member+

seem to remember ernie lee playing a good blues guitar
along with alveston back in the sixties ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 15:11   #172
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the guy who stopped the buses was "Joseph" a polish guy who lived down clayton, a few stories relate to his manner,was something during the war i believe, the guy with the pens etc, i remember - but forget his name.
Don't think this is the same guy Cashman, but do you ever remember a man who used to go up Accy Con .. looked polish and possibly called 'Jo' ? Don't think he ever spoke. Can see him in a grey suit and always leant against the windowsill bottom left of the ballroom. Was older than most of the punters ..mainly danced on his own all night, but would suddenly come up to you and dance without asking.

Was always there. Perhaps you're too young .. bet Mez remembers him. Dark straight greasy hair with a beak nose.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 21:16   #173
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
seem to remember ernie lee playing a good blues guitar
along with alveston back in the sixties ?
Yep, Ernie was one mean axeman and formed his own blues band in the 70's. Don't think they ever got very far.

As for Ian Alveston, arguably the best guitar player ever to come out of the Accrington area. Apparently, he still plays in a folk club up Ossy.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:46   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

As for Ian Alveston, arguably the best guitar player ever to come out of the Accrington area. Apparently, he still plays in a folk club up Ossy.
I work with Ian Alveston's sister-in-law and he went to St. Mary's College, he used to play once a month for St Mary's club in Ossy, but she thinks he still plays now and then over Sowerby Bridge way. He still has numerous guitars.

He is a retired Art Teacher, taught at St. Hilda's in Burnley and now lives in Ossy up Fielding Way area.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09   #175
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info, Kate. Nice to hear he's still playing.
Old 06-08-2007, 18:47   #176
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

has been noted to jam occasionally up "Lock Street,with a couple of guys i know, never been -great guitarist no question, just cant stand him.
Old 06-08-2007, 18:56   #177

Thanks Cashman, sorry about your old mate. Was there a John Duffy do you know?
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 19:42   #178
God Member

Quote:
has been noted to jam occasionally up "Lock Street,with a couple of guys i know, never been -great guitarist no question, just cant stand him.
Cashy -do you think my son is better ? - (honest opinion required - no offence will result)
Rob Livesey Band
Snatchin It Back

Last edited by MargaretR; 06-08-2007 at 19:49.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 21:40   #179
Super Moderator

Margaret, very taken with your lad's guitar-picking and his band in general. Difficult to compare him to Ian Alveston, as the two have different styles. Also, very impressed to see they're on at the Colne R&B Festival. You've gotta be the business to get on the bill there.

I know you asked Cashy his opinion...hope you don't mind me putting my two pen'th in!
Old 06-08-2007, 22:07   #180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't know him myself Cashy, but my friend does describe him as being a little eccentric .. I personally love eccentric people, maybe you could think of him this way ..

Live across the road from a George Duffy ('bout your age) who has been known to play drums in local bands, again not sure if the same person you have mentioned previously, as don't think has any brothers .. can go and ask if you are interested.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..