Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 16:33   #271
Senior Member
 
Shurm's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Sorry I don't know any of them but I wouldn't mess with 2 of them
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2013, 16:39   #272
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Sorry I don't know any of them but I wouldn't mess with 2 of them
I know yeh said that earlier Shurm, But did yer old man have any connection wi Stanley?
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:10   #273
Senior Member
 
Shurm's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Don't think so apart from playing locally he was a keeper.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:35   #274
Senior Member+
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Just thinking about the deck, I possibly had stood on there long before any of you say 1952 when local football teams meet to catch the bus to King Georges or Highams, when the bus to Clayton stopped there as it came from the Black Dog in Ossy,and I think Woolworth was still a 3d and 6d store. Dutton St had men and ladies toilets, Lingards in the market hall sold white keel German butter loose beautiful.
We also waited on the deck on a Wednesday night or Saturday night for mates to walk home to Clayton after taking some lucky girl home from the con, (you could fairly smoke some cigs waiting) and I can remember the first time the pictures opened on Sunday
I only remember the buses for Haslingden/Rossendale Valley stopping in front of the Town Hall, on the Market Hall side of the arch - certainly in '55/56 to '61
__________________
Regards,
Barrie
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:46   #275
Rest in Peace
 
claytonx's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Yes I think they did move the Clayton bus around the corner in front of the market hall
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:02   #276
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, it's not Bill either, as I'm sure Jaysay will confirm.
Ya Wyn your right, Bill ain't in that picture either
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:03   #277
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Don't think so apart from playing locally he was a keeper.
Do you know which team he played for Shurm
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:06   #278
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Not convinced that any of 'em ex-Stanley players. John Ryden was playing for Watford in the early 60's. The other guy doesn't look like Charlie Sneddon or Terry Tighe to me. However, I have been known to be wrong! Wonder if Shurm has any more info about who's on the shot?
Ya don't think its Terry or Charlie either Wyn
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:09   #279
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Just thinking about the deck, I possibly had stood on there long before any of you say 1952 when local football teams meet to catch the bus to King Georges or Highams, when the bus to Clayton stopped there as it came from the Black Dog in Ossy,and I think Woolworth was still a 3d and 6d store. Dutton St had men and ladies toilets, Lingards in the market hall sold white keel German butter loose beautiful.
We also waited on the deck on a Wednesday night or Saturday night for mates to walk home to Clayton after taking some lucky girl home from the con, (you could fairly smoke some cigs waiting) and I can remember the first time the pictures opened on Sunday
Con on a Wednesday claytonx I can only remember Saturday and Mondays, late 50s early 60s
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:45   #280
Senior Member
 
Shurm's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Think he played for Woodnook as he was from that area

Really not sure think it must be late 50s/ early 60s
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:50   #281
Rest in Peace
 
claytonx's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Con on a Wednesday claytonx I can only remember Saturday and Mondays, late 50s early 60s
Middle 50s loads of blokes walking round at the last dance thinking anyone will do now.
25% girls 75% blokes.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:51   #282
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Deck

Would probably have been Woodnook Villa i think if twas them.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:54   #283
Rest in Peace
 
claytonx's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Wyn your right, Bill ain't in that picture either
Still think its Willie White.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:55   #284
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
Middle 50s loads of blokes walking round at the last dance thinking anyone will now.
25% girls 75% blokes.
Ya clayton the favorite dance in those was the Quaker, twice round the dance floor then outside for your oats
Wynonie Harris and Stevie R like this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:58   #285
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Still think its Willie White.
Na its nowhere near being Willy claytonx, I've known him for forty years, he now lives in St Annes, used to drink with him every night in the Stop and Rest Ossy, think there must be a photo of Willy somewhere on here
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1