Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 18:04   #286
Super Moderator

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Na its nowhere near being Willy claytonx, I've known him for forty years, he now lives in St Annes, used to drink with him every night in the Stop and Rest Ossy, think there must be a photo of Willy somewhere on here
I'd agree, Jay, and I knew Willie back in the day, as he was a good mate of me dad's. Stood there supping shorts with him and the old feller many a time in the deep end at the Stop!
Old 05-03-2013, 18:10   #287
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'd agree, Jay, and I knew Willie back in the day, as he was a good mate of me dad's. Stood there supping shorts with him and the old feller many a time in the deep end at the Stop!
Ya Wyn the deep end at the Stop has a lot to answer for, I can tell you, wish I had all the money I spent yon, I'd have a small fortune now
Wynonie Harris likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:12   #288
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Wyn the deep end at the Stop has a lot to answer for, I can tell you, wish I had all the money I spent yon, I'd have a small fortune now
Yeah, but you wouldn't have enjoyed yourself half as much!
Old 05-03-2013, 18:14   #289
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yeah, but you wouldn't have enjoyed yourself half as much!
Don't know about that Wyn, I can't remember
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 21-05-2013, 16:09   #290

When we were kids at Holy Family Kevin played drums, and he was damn good!
Played lots of local gigs.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:50   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This reminded me of the places where my Mum told me she used to hang out in the early 1920's. The favourite place was similar .. everybody used to walk up and down Blackburn Road then.. that's where she met my Dad.
One long parade of young people.

Wasn't a Calder or Blue Dahlia in those days, so 'cept for the Sunday Schools, local dances, where else could you go to meet a future spouse ?
Does anyone remember "Geordy,the paper seller from Blackburn, selling his "Last Pinks" at the bottom of St James St across from the deck. He wore a flat cap, a long rainmack buttoned down to his ankles, and pinned to his mack were his war medals. Rumour was he had nothing on under his mack. He was certainly a Accy personality in those days
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 06:30   #292
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Does anyone remember "Geordy,the paper seller from Blackburn, selling his "Last Pinks" at the bottom of St James St across from the deck. He wore a flat cap, a long rainmack buttoned down to his ankles, and pinned to his mack were his war medals. Rumour was he had nothing on under his mack. He was certainly a Accy personality in those days
Yes . Geordy once asked my grandmother for a date .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 07:03   #293
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Must ave been before my time, twas Sid when i was young, used to be a bookies runner as well. posted a story about that years ago.
Old 22-05-2013, 08:22   #294
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Must ave been before my time, twas Sid when i was young, used to be a bookies runner as well. posted a story about that years ago.
I remember Sid Cashy, but never used his services as a runner
Old 22-05-2013, 09:56   #295
JCB

Quote:
I can remember two of them selling papers .

Geordy was a short , stocky man , and I think the Sid you refer to was a thin , wiry man .

If I remember rightly , one stood at the corner of St James St and the other nearer Church St .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:03   #296
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I can remember two of them selling papers .

Geordy was a short , stocky man , and I think the Sid you refer to was a thin , wiry man .

If I remember rightly , one stood at the corner of St James St and the other nearer Church St .
Yeh Sids pitch was in Redmans doorway bottom of St James St. yer correct sid was wiry or even slippery if yeh gave him brass.
JCB likes this.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:49   #297
I am Banned

Quote:
Yeh Sids pitch was in Redmans doorway bottom of St James St. yer correct sid was wiry or even slippery if yeh gave him brass.
mmm... as I recall he always had a runny nose in cold weather...the original slippery Sid...yeuk !!!
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:57   #298
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
mmm... as I recall he always had a runny nose in cold weather...the original slippery Sid...yeuk !!!
Yep snotty candles sid, we used to say Simmy from clayton was his son. Didn't go down very well wi simmy.
Old 22-05-2013, 12:15   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Yes . Geordy once asked my grandmother for a date .
I don't think he would have been able to take her home. He lived in the Salvation Army hostel in Blackburn
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 12:24   #300
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I don't think he would have been able to take her home. He lived in the Salvation Army hostel in Blackburn
Seem to recall they had a Sally Army place up St James Street,just past the baths.?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..