Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 23:12   #196
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Right, Al, well thanks for the trip up to Glasgow. Time to come back down South now to talk to some English mods www.modculture.co.uk
me mate used to speak to them on the deck, with a shillelagh.
Old 30-05-2009, 09:37   #197
Senior Member+

Thank you all, what wonderfull memories this thread has brought back. The "deck" was "the" meeting place in the early/mid 50's - the other side of the town Hall entrance was the Haslingden/Rawtenstall/Bacup bus stop.
My first date with my wife to be was an arrangement to meet on the deck on a Sunday evening. I waited in the Elite Snooker club to watch the deck, to make sure I knew whom I had arranged to meet :-))) We were married for almost 48 years, and together for over 50 years from that first meeting.
The "Melbo" was the only coffee bar in those days - the introduction of the juke box and frothy coffee.
Thank you fro re-kindling some wonderfull mmemories
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 10:11   #198
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Thank you all, what wonderfull memories this thread has brought back. The "deck" was "the" meeting place in the early/mid 50's - the other side of the town Hall entrance was the Haslingden/Rawtenstall/Bacup bus stop.
My first date with my wife to be was an arrangement to meet on the deck on a Sunday evening. I waited in the Elite Snooker club to watch the deck, to make sure I knew whom I had arranged to meet :-))) We were married for almost 48 years, and together for over 50 years from that first meeting.
The "Melbo" was the only coffee bar in those days - the introduction of the juke box and frothy coffee.
Thank you fro re-kindling some wonderfull mmemories
The Elite Snooker Club Barry, used to nick of school and spend the afternoon it the Elite, up the stairs, dark and dank, those were he days
Old 04-06-2009, 07:01   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Pendy,

I'm sure it was the car...............Jensens were quite rare.
So it was you sat at the bar in the Astronaut......Do you remember a woman (not a girl you understand), quite attractive, petite etc., called Jean? She was almost a fixture in there.

Jimmy Crow, Mick Absolom, Ben Watson...they were the spivs of the day (60's and early 70's)...remember any of them?

Wynonie,
The only pub that I'd go into in the town centre is the Arden or the Warners....But not at night. Almost all pubs, anywhere, have been devastated and are normally full of the yob culture, they have to be so, just to make a living. But with a 33cl bottle of Bud costing £2.50 or more, they can stick 'em.

Naturally there are still a few good 'uns. Like the Stag, Rose & Crown, Heys Inn, but not many more.
Jimmy Crow and Mick Absolam (who at one time wasdin the Merchant Navy( used to drink in the "Nags Head".
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 21:55   #200

Smile Re: The Deck

I was one of the mod dudes with my brother Tony and Jimmy Lightbown, also isaac, vito, Tom Robinson, Dave Tunnicliffe etc. spent many a happy hour watching the girls walking by.
bicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 22:08   #201
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicky View Post
I was one of the mod dudes with my brother Tony and Jimmy Lightbown, also isaac, vito, Tom Robinson, Dave Tunnicliffe etc. spent many a happy hour watching the girls walking by.
ya missed florrie from that collection bicky.
Old 22-07-2009, 22:29   #202
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicky View Post
I remember or have "heard of" most of them lads Bicky....I reckon they were a few years older than myself...I didn't have Vito and Isaac marked down as mod dudes
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 21:10   #203
Super Moderator

Bicky, his bro, Jimmy Lightbown and Al Gilmartin were the mod dudes. Isaac, Florrie, Vito, Dave Tunny and co were more yer "bohemian" types!
Old 23-07-2009, 22:30   #204
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the late "Billy Anderson" also Tommy Whalley, were mods of that era.
Old 24-07-2009, 07:42   #205

This is from Manchester beat,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 10:05   #206
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
This is from Manchester beat,
Hell Alan that brings back memories Astoria Four Pennies and the Dappers, Frannie and Bernard Franks the good old days
Old 24-07-2009, 10:37   #207
Senior Member+

saw lots of good early bands up yhe Astoria..Rawtenstall
Fontella Bass The Kinks Pretty Things

happy memories

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:09   #208
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
saw lots of good early bands up the Astoria..Rawtenstall
Fontella Bass The Kinks Pretty Things

happy memories
Pretty Things beechy god were they Ugly Rosalind was one of theirs wasn't it
Old 24-07-2009, 18:19   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
Tony Palmer is still in Great Harwood. (If it isn't Tony it is his brother David.)I know his daughter and son-in-law, his daughter has not long since had her 2nd child.

I knew Tony and his wife Pauline back in the Late 70´s. He worked with my dad (Dougy Jackson) at Blackburn Group Training centre - teaching the young apprentices engineering. Nice guy.....
Old 26-07-2009, 01:53   #210

I remember Tom Robinson from way back, if it's the same Tom that was in a band years ago. Le Faulves. Please ask, silly name but they were ok. I think a guy called Rufus was also involved. Did a couple of gigs at Accy jaz club. Way back.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..