Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 22:38   #181
God Member

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Margaret, very taken with your lad's guitar-picking and his band in general. Difficult to compare him to Ian Alveston, as the two have different styles. Also, very impressed to see they're on at the Colne R&B Festival. You've gotta be the business to get on the bill there.

I know you asked Cashy his opinion...hope you don't mind me putting my two pen'th in!
I am glad you approve - I'm very proud (but then I would be wouldn't I )

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2007, 23:41   #182
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazfury1 View Post
Thanks Cashman, sorry about your old mate. Was there a John Duffy do you know?
yep forgot him till you mentioned shaz, knew is probably a better word aint seen him for about 25/30 years.
Old 06-08-2007, 23:54   #183
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Don't know him myself Cashy, but my friend does describe him as being a little eccentric .. I personally love eccentric people, maybe you could think of him this way ..
i too have a fair few eccentric mates katex but they aint obnoxious with it.
Old 07-08-2007, 00:00   #184
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

good music margaret, particularly liked the ramsbottom gig, as wyn said though cant really compare differant styles, grieves me to say it but alveston is the best blues guitarist i ever heard out of this area. would definatly go see yer lads group if opp arose.
Old 09-08-2007, 20:35   #185

Great thread this . . .
Tunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 21:32   #186
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunny View Post
Great thread this . . .
hey tunny mate,come when you can stop a bit,lol i know you must have a few tales to add.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:44   #187
Super Moderator

Yep, come on, Tunny, you must have some good tales to tell about your crew...Marsh Pickup, Jim Harrower and the rest of 'em!
Old 10-08-2007, 20:24   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yep, come on, Tunny, you must have some good tales to tell about your crew...Marsh Pickup, Jim Harrower and the rest of 'em!
Told you it was a good thread . . . I reckon if random blood testing had taken place the Dahlia would have been blue . . . .

I'm going to place a poser on Nostalgia . . . see if you can answer it.
Tunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:39   #189

Its been a year since we met on the deck. So Wynonie, Mr C, Steeljack, Jaysay, lets meet up and get the train up to Glasgow. And have a look at the Glasgow Mods. Glasgow Mods WebSite » Glasgow Mods - R&B, British Beat Music, Motown, Northern Soul Some interesting stuff on there.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:58   #190
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Its been a year since we met on the deck. So Wynonie, Mr C, Steeljack, Jaysay, lets meet up and get the train up to Glasgow. And have a look at the Glasgow Mods. Glasgow Mods WebSite » Glasgow Mods - R&B, British Beat Music, Motown, Northern Soul Some interesting stuff on there.
Doesn't seem a year has passed since this thread was last addressed , "where has the time gone, apart from more nose and ear hair " for some reason I allways remember Accrington 'wakes' weeks coinciding with the Glasgow'fair' when all the Glaswegian/Gorbals tongs (gangs)were in the same resorts as us , (Isle of Man/Blackpool) , beautiful lasses but nasty malefolk , allways looking for a battle .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:57   #191
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

good site al, good footage on the mods n rockers t-party down clacton n brighton, just a shame the big one on the "Deck" was never filmed.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:58   #192
Resting in Peace

That brings back happy memories, "I'll meet thi on't Deck at 8 o'clock on Satdy neet" can't remember how man times I said that little line in my teens. Seem to remember also that in the late 70s the "mods" used to hang round the Copper Kettle Cafe on Peel Street, with all the scooters parked outside, grea big long arrials on them
Old 04-08-2008, 00:08   #193

Yea Steely, I remember Glasgow Fair too, Blackpool etc, they used to take over, worked a season at Butlin's, in Wales. and they used to wreck the place, if we saw a mob coming towards us we'd walk the other way or run.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:55   #194

I used to meet on the Deck on Saturday nights, one of the guys we called John the hippie. I went to Rhyddings with him. We used to hang out at the Blue Dahlia when everyone was "popping pills". And I used to ride on some of the "Mods" scooters after the disco had finished. Those where the days. I think Accy has gone to pot. I will be over in the UK in Sept, so I will see what changes have been made.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:26   #195
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Right, Al, well thanks for the trip up to Glasgow. Time to come back down South now to talk to some English mods www.modculture.co.uk

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..