Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 18:43   #511

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Which comes across as rather sad.

Who knows? Perhaps that why some people feel the need to use an artifical stimulant, to help them cope with some inner sadness.
maybe you`re right ... maybe some people take em to block out whatever it is that is depressing them , who knows tbh
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2012, 18:55   #512
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I have never heard of any one jumping from a window after taking LSD .. so dunno where you get that from
Haven't you?

It's not an uncommon reaction to the narcotic, thinking you can fly, whilst on an acid trip.

Sadly, many find out too late, that they can't.

Anthony Stewart (17) jumped through a hotel window and fell seven stories to his death after taking LSD - MyDeathSpace.com

Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with a few more of the facts, before publicly labelling LSD as a 'safe recreational drug'.

We have young members on this forum.

I sincerely hope none of them take any notice of your imbecilic advice.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:58   #513
Give, give, give member

Quote:
maybe you`re right ... maybe some people take em to block out whatever it is that is depressing them , who knows tbh
If ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you're happy, no need to make yourself artifically think you are.

Old 05-02-2012, 19:24   #514

Quote:
Haven't you?

It's not an uncommon reaction to the narcotic, thinking you can fly, whilst on an acid trip.

Sadly, many find out too late, that they can't.

Anthony Stewart (17) jumped through a hotel window and fell seven stories to his death after taking LSD - MyDeathSpace.com

Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with a few more of the facts, before publicly labelling LSD as a 'safe recreational drug'.

We have young members on this forum.

I sincerely hope none of them take any notice of your imbecilic advice.
Where did I say it was safe?

LSD does not effect everyone in the same way , like any drug & that includes alcohol , in fact alcohol is far worse than any of the recreational drugs i have mentioned .. you only have to look & the statistics

How many die each year through alcohol ?

How much of a burden is alcohol related incidents costing the NHS ?

But yet alcohol is available at stupidly low cost prices .. how it that right ?
Old 05-02-2012, 19:26   #515

Quote:
If ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you're happy, no need to make yourself artifically think you are.
As you say though ... young one`s don't think straight
Old 05-02-2012, 19:26   #516
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have never heard of any one jumping from a window after taking LSD .. so dunno where you get that from

"LSD dangers." - These include:

Panic.

An LSD user cannot stop the LSD action. He may fear he is losing his mind, especially if the LSD effect is a "bad trip." When this happens, he may panic, cause injury or death to himself.

Paranoia.

The LSD user may feel someone wants to control his mind, harm or kill him. He becomes increasingly suspicious. He may hurt or kill the object of his LSD-made fear. This feeling lasts 72 hours after the LSD has worn off.

Mental Unbalance.

As a result of panic and paranoia, the LSD user may get mentally unbalanced. This lasts weeks, months, even years. It requires psychiatric care to cure.

Flashback.

When a flashback occurs, the LSD victim may become insane or driven to suicide. (See What Is a Flash- back? above).

Heart Failure.

LSD has led to fatal convulsions. "His heart couldn't take it," as a doctor diagnosed an LSD death. It was: heart failure. Cause: LSD.

Accidental Death or Injury.

When the LSD user is on a "trip," he may feel he can fly or float, leap out of a high window or tree, fall to his death. Or he may think lie is invincible, walk in front of a car and suffer injuries or even get killed.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C005038/lsd.htm

'It is non-addctive. But like opium and heroin, it is very hazardous, very dangerous. it is at the top of the psychedelic ladder.'

'LSD is so potent, laboratory test show, that a single ounce can gie 300,00 doses. It is 100 times more powerful than cocaine or peyote. A pin point of LSD is enough to blast a user's mind off to an uncertain journey.'

...and you think taking this poweful hallucinogenic narcotic is a 'safe recreation' for a young person to indulge in?

God help us all.

I fear it's you, who are off your tree.

Old 05-02-2012, 19:27   #517
God Member

Quote:
Wonder who'll be on the next thread complaining about the increase in alcohol tax?

Apart from me that is...

Better stick to the odd beer or glass of vino...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:31   #518
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As you say though ... young one`s don't think straight
Yes, and when do most drug users start to experiment with these things?

Correct.

When they're young, and falsely think of themselves as invincible.

I'm yet to meet a person in their seventies, never having taken 'recreational' drugs, who has a sudden urge to go chasing the dragon.

Old 05-02-2012, 19:36   #519
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Where did I say it was safe?
By inference, here...

Quote:
I class speed , LSD , extacy & cannabis as recreational drugs & not hard drugs .. that's just my opinion

Old 05-02-2012, 19:38   #520
Give, give, give member

Quote:
How many die each year through alcohol ?

How much of a burden is alcohol related incidents costing the NHS ?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Well not to those with half a brain.

Old 05-02-2012, 19:45   #521
Give, give, give member

Quote:
LSD does not effect everyone in the same way
No it doesn't.

Those that take it play Russian roulette.

Some will think they've had a great time, off the teets.

Others most definitely will not.

That's why I would certainly never advocate to a young person that it's worth the risk.

Old 05-02-2012, 19:45   #522
God Member

It's an age-old problem. Young people want to push boundaries -think what they're feeling and doing is new, risky and that the older generation know nothing about it.

You just can''t put an old head on new shoulders. As a mother of two young men, I have a daily battle against the "yes, mum", pat on the head, eyes raised to heaven, poor dear what does she know about anything...mentality. Then i'm the one who has to pick up the pieces and make everthing look tidy.

As a parent you can only try to give good ground rules, be open-minded and keep talking about things. There is almost too much information out there - they believe everything they read, and think they know everything already. It certainly doesn't help when you have certain adults praising experimentation and saying drugs are OK if produced in a nice sanitized environment and denying the truth about their effects.

Life's real highs come from much simpler and more genuine feelings and experiences.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:38   #523

Quote:
I would certainly never advocate to a young person that it's worth the risk.
Neither would I Garinda
Old 05-02-2012, 20:43   #524
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Well then Wrighty yer either too young,or a worse memory than i got, Seem to recall one poor sod jumping from the Blackburn Arndale carpark, That was L.S.D. induced. That would probably have been sometime in 70s, though dates aren't a strongpoint of mine.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:40   #525
God Member

There appears to be a strong body of opinion expressed here that holds that all controlled substances are bad and should be shunned as tools of the Devil and a danger to the young and impressionable. It is hard not to concurr. But in the interest of fairness I think it should be pointed out that the issue here is the abuse of substances rather than the use of substances per se.

Abuse typically occurrs when a substance is used either to excess or in ways other than originally intended.

There is a large and growing body of evidence to suggest that Controlled substances of whatever class have good, positive and life saving properties when used in the correct context and under supervision. MDMA (Ecstacy) is finding increasing use in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, LSD is more effective at treating the problems of Alcohol withdrawal than standard therapies. THC, the active ingredient in Cannabis is used to combat the pain associated with degenerative conditions such as Arthritis with none of the noxious side effects of anti-inflamatory drug regimes. The analgesic properties of Cocaine and its derivatives have long been known and made use of in dentristry, among other branches of medicine.

What is not addressed by this discussion, or any other discussion I have heard over the last forty years, is why our young are so attracted to court the obvious dangers of substance abuse? Why are they so impelled to seek temporary release from everyday life? What is it about the qualities of our society that they find so oppressive or restrictive that they are prepared to spend large sums of money in funding criminal enterprise for a period of respite or escape?

How have we failed our young?

And, if so many of them are so affected, often at the risk of their health and lives, what are we going to do about changing our society to make such substance abuse unecessary?

It strikes me that in reaching for the 'BANNED' stamp, we are dodging the real issues.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-02-2012 at 08:42.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..