Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 22:48   #616

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Don't forget Ozzie Osbourne - he's had like 20 drugs in him at the same time and survived!
Just about! But there have been many musicians who have died over the years because of drug use.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2012, 22:49   #617
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Do you know he went mad on LSD - like you!
Yep quite a few of em did, he died of cancer though in his early 50s.
Old 09-02-2012, 22:50   #618
God Member

Quote:
Anyone know about Vince Taylor and LSD...

David Bowie said this is the guy he got the idea for Ziggy Stardust off!
Are you sure you ain't got Alvin Stardust mixed up with Ziggy Stardust?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 22:55   #619
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
He aint Mancie, hes correct on this.
Old 09-02-2012, 22:57   #620
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Just about! But there have been many musicians who have died over the years because of drug use.
One of my musical heroes, Phil Lynott died of pnuemonia but indirectly it was the drugs. Although Phil was probably past his musical best by then I always wonder what music he would have created if he'd lived longer. Same goes for Hendrix and he died just as he was getting REALLY good!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 22:59   #621
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
He aint Mancie, hes correct on this.
I'll take your word for it..but he looks more like Alvin than Ziggy.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 23:05   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
One of my musical heroes, Phil Lynott died of pnuemonia but indirectly it was the drugs. Although Phil was probably past his musical best by then I always wonder what music he would have created if he'd lived longer. Same goes for Hendrix and he died just as he was getting REALLY good!!
That's what I think too. Just think of all the music we have lost over the years because of all these early deaths. I have revisited the Doors lately and would have loved to have heard a follow-up to one of their best albums, LA Woman, but sadly not to be because of the death of Jim Morrison.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 00:18   #623
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
No Ziggy! The story goes, and this was on a TV program about Vince. He was very big in Europe than England particularly France and he was doing big gigs at this gig in Paris. He made loads of money and his manager gave him some money which he took back to London. It was around 66 when Acid was first becoming popular. Apparently Vince met someone who convinced him to spend the money on LSD and he did and he just spent all his time taking the stuff and lost it completely - latter joining a religious cult, I think it was the Process Church. David Bowie bumped into him preaching in a London Street!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18   #624
God Member

it could be argued that these artists had their talent way before drug use and only got access to drugs when their fame and change of lifestyle got them into a world where they were available.Who is to say they wouldnt have written songs just as successfull about something else that didnt come to them while stoned ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 10-02-2012 at 01:25.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33   #625
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't forget Ozzie Osbourne - he's had like 20 drugs in him at the same time and survived!
Ya call that surviving, glad I had the sense not to bother trying, than ending up like a babbling fool like Osbourne
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38   #626
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Most of the 27 died in connection with drug use, I mentioned the other week about Paul Kossoff, lead guitar with Free, the rendition of All Right Now at the Isle of wight festival, showed just how haggled Kossoff had become, although he did last till he was 35, but his demise was down to drug abuse
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46   #627
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's what I think too. Just think of all the music we have lost over the years because of all these early deaths. I have revisited the Doors lately and would have loved to have heard a follow-up to one of their best albums, LA Woman, but sadly not to be because of the death of Jim Morrison.
No autopsy was carried out on Jim Morrison, he was found dead in the bath and was more of an alchoholic in the last years of his life as opposed to a drug addict.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50   #628
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
He cut them eventually but had to relearn a lot of his guitar playing....still sounded good, though!!
He did some gigs with Carlos Santana in last 10 years and is a shadow of himself - and doesn't really assert himself and Santana over shadows him - that is on You Tube. His legacy carried on though as he gave the Les paul he recorded "Albatross" on to Gary Moore, who used it on most of his hits.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54   #629
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No Ziggy! The story goes, and this was on a TV program about Vince. He was very big in Europe than England particularly France and he was doing big gigs at this gig in Paris. He made loads of money and his manager gave him some money which he took back to London. It was around 66 when Acid was first becoming popular. Apparently Vince met someone who convinced him to spend the money on LSD and he did and he just spent all his time taking the stuff and lost it completely - latter joining a religious cult, I think it was the Process Church. David Bowie bumped into him preaching in a London Street!
Missed that, shame would have loved to watch it.One of Vinces last jobs was a Baggage Handler at a Swiss airport.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00   #630
Senior Member+

Quote:
In the documentary that Steve mentioned, Peter Green said it was LSD that messed him up. He was adamant about that.
Yes they did but he did say that it was the medication in the psychiatric hospital that destroyed all his musical desire/ability. He got put back in the hospital, when he threatened a business associate with a shot gun, who owed him money. I think it was his brother who got him out of the hospital in the end.

Peter Green was disturbed by all the money he made over night and wanted to buy a load of food himself and take it to Africa and feed starving people - 10 years before Bob Geldof!

Last edited by kestrelx; 10-02-2012 at 09:03.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..