Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2012, 20:00   #736
God Member

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I suspect this was Tiotropium (one trade name of Spiriva).
Usually taken by patients with COPD for breathing problems. Obviously, a wise decision by the doctor as you appear to have this type of problem.

I cannot find any side effects as you describe on the internet... most reactions are mild with, of course, the usual, very rare ones.

It's your decision of course ....we have discussed many times ...always the risk value here.

Just keep well anyway ... x
I first read of this increased risk in a research report done in India. Our medics are now aware of it as shown here
COPD Mist Inhaler That Delivers Tiotropium Linked To Higher Death Risk

When my doc prescribed it following an xray he said the I had 'early signs of mid lung thickening'.
He qualified that by adding that it is not normally prescribed until the condition is worse than mine.
He said he would prescribe it for me because I do use any NHS prescribed meds.
He regretted not being able to compensate me for the loads of money I spend on Vitamin B12 lozenges and the nutrition therapy which I use to relieve my fatigue (and it works!), so he thought he was doing me favour by slowing the progression of COPD.

I choose to die of 'shortage of breath' eventually (doesn't everybody? ) rather than heart disease and stroke - my choice.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2012, 20:16   #737

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;971923]The drug that this guy took was Mephedrone.......also known as 'Bubble'...and you are right it is a common type of plant feed.

Mephedrone has been made illegal. It was classified as a class B drug in 2010.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 20:16   #738
Resting in Peace

As stated before in previous discussions,we can all find one report that shows bad adverse reactions to drugs ....ignoring all the majority that recognise the more qualified ones that do not agree. You choose to believe the minority.

The only way you can slow the process in COPD is to stop smoking. Yes, have experience. Think we will finish up next to each other in a care home on oxygen cylinders .... could put Jaysay in the middle. LOL. On second thoughts he will probably beg for Euthanasia...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 20:18   #739
God Member

It is not an 'adverse reaction' it is increased risk - there is a difference

Old 22-02-2012, 20:39   #740
God Member

PS I don't know where you get the idea that this risk is 'minority opinion'
Here it is again
Inhaled Anticholinergics and Risk of Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events in Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, September 24, 2008, Singh et al. 300 (12): 1439 ? JAMA

Old 22-02-2012, 20:41   #741
Senior Member+

[quote=annesingleton;972001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The drug that this guy took was Mephedrone.......also known as 'Bubble'...and you are right it is a common type of plant feed.

Mephedrone has been made illegal. It was classified as a class B drug in 2010.
I have to correct a misconception about mephedrone, it never was, and is not a plant feed. It was labeled as such in order to import and distribute the substance when it was classed as a "legal high" the label has stuck. It is still marketed as a plant food but is also on the same website as marijuana and hemp seeds so you can understand the association has been made. I think saying it is a plant feed somehow makes it sound safe, how can something that feeds plant cause harm, but it does.
If you talk to the people who deal with mephedrone consumption and addiction(and I have)they will tell you that what I say is correct.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:04   #742
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Recreational drugs are nothing like tea and coffee. Most of us won't do something we later regret, as a result of drinking tea or coffee.
You won't go and mug someone to get a fix of tea or coffee.
Taking painkillers is something that most of us have to do at some point in our lives.....but again we won't carry out some felony in order to get our paracetamol.

I think it is sad that some people cannot have what they consider to be an enjoyable life without the aid of recreational drugs.

Some people will go on from recreational drug use to addiction, their lives will be ruined....and what is more, they will ruin the lives of the people who love them.
Well Margaret according to this page there are 500 Paracetomol related deaths in England and Wales per year...

http://jpubhealth.oxfordjournals.org.../27/1/19.short

There are probably less than 30 deaths linked to MDMA or Ecstasy - which in many cases today is not MDMA but cut with other more harmful drugs for reasons relating to the fact it is illegal!

Also people do become alcoholics and can attack and kill relatives, rob relatives and that is with a legal drug - alcohol. Gambling is legal and likewise people do crimes to support gambling habits.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:08   #743
Senior Member+

[quote=davemac;972010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post

I have to correct a misconception about mephedrone, it never was, and is not a plant feed. It was labeled as such in order to import and distribute the substance when it was classed as a "legal high" the label has stuck. It is still marketed as a plant food but is also on the same website as marijuana and hemp seeds so you can understand the association has been made. I think saying it is a plant feed somehow makes it sound safe, how can something that feeds plant cause harm, but it does.
If you talk to the people who deal with mephedrone consumption and addiction(and I have)they will tell you that what I say is correct.
Yes you are right - mephedrone was called plant food as it was an easy way to sell it without attracting attention - bit like an in joke!

It is actually a synthesis of the natural drug in Khat - a plant chewed in certain parts of Africa that gives the user a buzz a bit like speed and is legal in the UK and used by locals.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:10   #744
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yeh but those 500 deaths a year, aint many of em took to get high, What a daft comparison. Still expect nowt else.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:14   #745
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh but those 500 deaths a year, aint many of em took to get high, What a daft comparison. Still expect nowt else.
Not you again It doesn't matter whether what purpose it's for - it's still 500 deaths over 30! I think the issue you have is that you don't like the fact of someone taking a drug for recreational purposes! YET THOUSDANDS OF PEOPLE TAKE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS OUT OF HABIT AND A LOT ARE ADDICTED - society lets that go and pharmacutical companies are making Billions out of it!

If I want to take a drug currently illegal - I should be allowed to! What politician has the moral right to stop me?
Old 22-02-2012, 21:22   #746
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I don't like the fact people take recreational drugs? I really don't give a toss who takes what, in fact i'd be very happy if you Overdosed.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:26   #747
Senior Member+

Exclamation Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
As stated before in previous discussions,we can all find one report that shows bad adverse reactions to drugs ....ignoring all the majority that recognise the more qualified ones that do not agree. You choose to believe the minority.

The only way you can slow the process in COPD is to stop smoking. Yes, have experience. Think we will finish up next to each other in a care home on oxygen cylinders .... could put Jaysay in the middle. LOL. On second thoughts he will probably beg for Euthanasia...
It's got a lot to do with the Media printing stories with wrong information about drugs - namely the Sun! If anyone dies they blame Ecstasy and blow it all out of proportion - that gives the morons something to get excited about! So you ARE right on that one Kate x!

Professor Nutt was trying to get the facts out and the Government don't want the facts they just want to tell us - all illegal drugs are totally destructive and they will remain illegal when alcohol related problems costs the tax payer over 3 BILLION! per annum

I tell you if sex wasn't part of our bodies some Politicians would have it made Illegal! No Joke!

Last edited by kestrelx; 22-02-2012 at 21:28.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:36   #748
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I tell you if sex wasn't part of our bodies some Politicians would have it made Illegal! No Joke!
Heard the other day that some American woman from the anti- sorry -"American accent"- "An-tie"-abortion league was trying to outlaw "self-pleasuring" don't want to risk a ticking off by writing the "M" word and offending.

Now that is wrong -perfectly natural...

Am off for another cup of English-breakfast - 5 mins brewing time - nice and strong! My only drug... Can't live without it...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:43   #749
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Heard the other day that some American woman from the anti- sorry -"American accent"- "An-tie"-abortion league was trying to outlaw "self-pleasuring" don't want to risk a ticking off by writing the "M" word and offending.

Now that is wrong -perfectly natural...

Am off for another cup of English-breakfast - 5 mins brewing time - nice and strong! My only drug... Can't live without it...
Well look at all the murders that are done by people over the issue of "sex!" so that is harm to life! Jealousy over sex, and plain old psycho paths! Politicians like to regulate everything if they can.
Old 22-02-2012, 23:31   #750
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Well look at all the murders that are done by people over the issue of "sex!" so that is harm to life! Jealousy over sex, and plain old psycho paths! Politicians like to regulate everything if they can.
So, you are now trying to change this to a:-

The Government want to control everything thread.

I think we can therfore conclude that your addled brain, has at last realised you don't know what you are talking about concerning 'illegal drugs', but you would rather try to smoke screen us than grow up and admit you talk rubbish.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..