Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2012, 22:00   #811
JFT96

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Let me spell it out for you, in small easy to understand words.
You have posted in this thread that 500 people die each year from Paracetamol and 30 from illegal drug use. This was written with the intention of proving illegal drugs are safer than over the counter medicine.
However when you look into this, the figures you quote are wrong.
For paracetamol there is one death in every 120,000 people who use it
For illegal drugs one per 66,000 people who use, almost a ratio of two to one.
So your stupid and crass postings have no basis.
Better?

Oh and one more thing...you were so fed up and sick of us, you were going to leave, another empty promise?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2012, 22:08   #812
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Yes and you are not listening! I understand you are involved with kids who have abused drugs - I am telling you that a lot of these kids are involved in gang culture and the drugs are a part of that culture because these drugs are illegal. Legalising them would end gang involvement and it would no longer be "cool" to deal drugs as part of a gang!
Do you have any serious written, not you tube, scientific evidence to back up that?

I won't hold my breath

Old 25-02-2012, 22:13   #813

Quote:
Yes and you are not listening! I understand you are involved with kids who have abused drugs - I am telling you that a lot of these kids are involved in gang culture and the drugs are a part of that culture because these drugs are illegal. Legalising them would end gang involvement and it would no longer be "cool" to deal drugs as part of a gang!
You are so wrong here! It goes hand in hand with alcohol and a general culture, nothing to do with gang culture. It is just a part of life in general that the vast majority of the 'socially excluded' young people I work with will think that cannabis use (as well as other drugs) is just a normal part of their lives and they cannot see any reason to change because they have no expectations or confidence in themselves to make positive changes to improve their lives. I appreciate that this is a far bigger social problem than the drugs issue, but I don't think that legalising drugs would be a positive message in their lives - it's like saying " carry on as you are it's ok, in fact we'll encourage you by making it legal". And then what about the following generations, what expectations will they have? (I think I'd better stop ranting here, it's Saturday night for God's sake, I'll finish my glass of wine and go to bed!!!)
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 22:15   #814
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Let me spell it out for you, in small easy to understand words.
You have posted in this thread that 500 people die each year from Paracetamol and 30 from illegal drug use. This was written with the intention of proving illegal drugs are safer than over the counter medicine.
However when you look into this, the figures you quote are wrong.
For paracetamol there is one death in every 120,000 people who use it
For illegal drugs one per 66,000 people who use, almost a ratio of two to one.
So your stupid and crass postings have no basis.
Better?

Oh and one more thing...you were so fed up and sick of us, you were going to leave, another empty promise?
You got it wrong mate - I said 500 people die per year from Paracetomol and 30 from Ecstacy not all illegal drugs. I don't think anyone has ever died from smoking cannabis! EVER!!!

Your wrong! However 9,000 people per year die from alcohol in the UK - as was featured on the program shown "Britains Hidden Alchoholics!" with Alastair Campbell (an ex-alcoholic) this week...

BBC News - Panorama - Alastair Campbell on drink: 'I paid a heavy price'
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 22:18   #815
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

It said Alcohol related illness, i watched it as well.
Old 25-02-2012, 22:18   #816
JFT96

Quote:
You got it wrong mate - I said 500 people die per year from Paracetomol and 30 from Ecstacy not all illegal drugs. I don't think anyone has ever died from smoking cannabis! EVER!!!

Your wrong! However 9,000 people per year die from alcohol - as was featured on the program shown "Britains Hidden Alchoholics!" this week...

BBC News - Panorama - Alastair Campbell on drink: 'I paid a heavy price'
Did you actually take a moment to read what I had written.... IF YOU TAKE ILLEGAL DRUGS YOU ARE ALMOST TWICE AS LIKELY TO DIE AS IF YOU TAKE PARACETAMOL.
Now why oh why will you not accept that simple fact. Simply throwing more numbers into the mix only goes to show your ignorance

Old 25-02-2012, 22:20   #817
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Hes only doin it to try n justify his nonsense B.G.
Old 25-02-2012, 22:23   #818
Senior Member+

Quote:
Did you actually take a moment to read what I had written.... IF YOU TAKE ILLEGAL DRUGS YOU ARE ALMOST TWICE AS LIKELY TO DIE AS IF YOU TAKE PARACETAMOL.
Now why oh why will you not accept that simple fact. Simply throwing more numbers into the mix only goes to show your ignorance
But using the term "Illegal Drugs" is a misnomer because as I have said no one has ever died from smoking cannabis on it's own. You are lumping all drugs in together. So all "Illegal drugs" do not have the same effect and potentiallity to kill someone who takes them.

The issue is here what I said in the first place is that 500 people die from Paracetomol and only 30 from Exstasy per annum in the UK - that said a lot of it is not actually Exstasy so again the figures are lower!
Old 25-02-2012, 22:26   #819
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
You are so wrong here! It goes hand in hand with alcohol and a general culture, nothing to do with gang culture. It is just a part of life in general that the vast majority of the 'socially excluded' young people I work with will think that cannabis use (as well as other drugs) is just a normal part of their lives and they cannot see any reason to change because they have no expectations or confidence in themselves to make positive changes to improve their lives. I appreciate that this is a far bigger social problem than the drugs issue, but I don't think that legalising drugs would be a positive message in their lives - it's like saying " carry on as you are it's ok, in fact we'll encourage you by making it legal". And then what about the following generations, what expectations will they have? (I think I'd better stop ranting here, it's Saturday night for God's sake, I'll finish my glass of wine and go to bed!!!)
Better watch the wine Anne - maybe you drinking too much!

If cannabis was legalised then it would be illegal for people under 18 to have it and also it would still be an offence to sell it to people under 18!

Another issue is that Skunk is about 20% stronger than naturally grown cannabis! So these kids are taking that strenght of drug - grown by gangs in this country - who often use slave labour to grow it! Surely if we legalised cannabis than these gangs would be put out of business and also SKUNK would not be taken by kids! Because it's skunk that can cause more harm to peoples mental health!

Last edited by kestrelx; 25-02-2012 at 22:29.
Old 25-02-2012, 22:26   #820
JFT96

No you really dont understand do you, there are 60 million people in the uk, the vast majority have paracetamol in their medicine cupboard.
There may be a few thousand take esctasy.
Now if you think really really hard you will realise that just a number, without reference to population is bunk. Unless of course you fried your brain years ago

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 25-02-2012 at 22:29.
Old 25-02-2012, 22:34   #821
Senior Member+

Quote:
No you really dont understand do you, there are 60 million people in the uk, the vast majority have paracetamol in their medicine cupboard.
There may be a few thousand take esctasy.
Now if you think really really hard you will realise that just a number, without reference to population is bunk. Unless of course you fried your brain years ago
Yes I know what you are saying the over all amount of people taking the ecstasy is less than those who take paracetomol - so there for over all there is less danger in the paracetomol. Which means in your view if ecstasy was legal more would take it and more would die!? Mmmm that is open to debate
Old 25-02-2012, 22:39   #822

Quote:
Better watch the wine Anne - maybe you drinking too much!

If cannabis was legalised then it would be illegal for people under 18 to have it and also it would still be an offence to sell it to people under 18!
Thanks kestrelx I'm off to bed now, wine almost gone! It doesn't really make any difference whether drugs are legal or not whether for under or over 18's - and I do think at this stage you may be playing devil's advocate? Whether or not we are going to have to disagree on the subject - nothing could persuade me that illegal drugs should be legalised and it sounds like you can't be persuaded that they shouldn't be. But from my experience not much good comes from over indulging in substances either legal or illegal. But to me there's not much point legalising drugs other than for medicinal purposes - we have enough legally obtained potentially life destroying things without needing more!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 22:45   #823
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Thanks kestrelx I'm off to bed now, wine almost gone! It doesn't really make any difference whether drugs are legal or not whether for under or over 18's - and I do think at this stage you may be playing devil's advocate? Whether or not we are going to have to disagree on the subject - nothing could persuade me that illegal drugs should be legalised and it sounds like you can't be persuaded that they shouldn't be. But from my experience not much good comes from over indulging in substances either legal or illegal. But to me there's not much point legalising drugs other than for medicinal purposes - we have enough legally obtained potentially life destroying things without needing more!
anne just remember the owd saying- Yeh cant put sense were there is none.
Old 25-02-2012, 22:51   #824
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

It is already illegal for people under 18 to use it, it just so happens that the law making it illegal for them also makes it illegal for people aged 18 & over to use it.

However both age groups still find it readily available right now, so how would you police it so that only under 18's are prosecuted?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 23:05   #825
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't understand what your comment means? People die from Paracetomol, period, nothing to do with illegal drugs!

I don't think it's insane to legalise cannabis and control it's distribution! Currently it is in the hands of criminal gangs and those gangs are making vast profits out of it. Surely it's better to legalise it and that would take it out of the hands of gangs.

It's not just me who thinks this but the organisation "Clear".

Recent research has shown that cannabis has powerful medicinal properties.

You believe all the bad propoganda about it!

Can you live without Tea? Coffee? Or Sugar?
You posted earlier in the thread that you'd taken heroin.

Would you like to see that 'recreational' drug taken 'out of the hands of gangs', and made legal, and freely available for all to use?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..