Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 22:22   #181
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

some great pics, its summat i really miss- Industrial Accrington. many will probably disagree, but stuff em.
Old 01-11-2010, 22:34   #182
Resting in Peace

One thing you do notice though, Cashy, is the muck on the buildings.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 22:37   #183
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
One thing you do notice though, Cashy, is the muck on the buildings.
yeh but everyone who wanted had a full time job.
Old 01-11-2010, 23:19   #184
Resting in Peace

Yeh, Cashy, the saying "Where's there's muck there's money" certainly rang true in our town once.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:06   #185
Senior Member+

To help folk "get their bearings" look at the 2nd photo on posting 179, page 12. If you cast your eyes over the rooftop of Spring Mill, to the right you will see the roof with "James Walmsley" written on it. This of course became Mastabar, then Karrimor's and is now some sort of office premises.

Last edited by Atarah; 02-11-2010 at 08:10.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04   #186
Resting in Peace

Just wondering if anyone has photos of the old house which stood on the hill in what is now the Foxhill Nature Reserve, as far as I know the old gate house is still there at the end of the Coach Road
Old 02-11-2010, 13:42   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just wondering if anyone has photos of the old house which stood on the hill in what is now the Foxhill Nature Reserve, as far as I know the old gate house is still there at the end of the Coach Road
Hi Jaysay,
I'm not sure but Pauline Whitehead( formerly Johnson) might be able to help.
She took me round there and seemed to know quite a bit about the reserve, so perhaps she might know s'one who has photos.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 16:43   #188
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There is one on the Lancashire Lantern site, Jaysay .. can't put the 'photo up as copyright, but think allowed to put the link up:

Lancashire Lantern | Show All | Item
Old 02-11-2010, 17:53   #189
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There is one on the Lancashire Lantern site, Jaysay .. can't put the 'photo up as copyright, but think allowed to put the link up:

Thanks for the link Kate I will take a good look at the site in the morning there's a football match on tonight, won't be on line long tonight
Old 02-11-2010, 18:19   #190
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I've just had a quick look at that site Kate, some fab photos of Ossy, especially the one of the church all on Albert Street which is now Masonic Hall, that's the area here I grew up, looks like I will be having a real good look through all the pics on the site
Old 04-11-2010, 22:13   #191
Always EVIL within us

Williams Store 1909

A muddy Grange lane....

Jacob St from Grange lane....

The Gazette office in Abbey St.....

The Accy Vic......
Old 04-11-2010, 22:18   #192
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

More great pics Busman, john kelly was pointed out to me at the library tonight.
Old 04-11-2010, 22:21   #193
Always EVIL within us

Going off the subject of Accrington briefly, this was written by John Kelly who has kindly allowed his collection to be put on the net and some may find it interesting..........
Old 04-11-2010, 22:24   #194
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
More great pics Busman, john kelly was pointed out to me at the library tonight.
Sadly, as you no doubt noticed, John is seriously ill yet always smiling and putting on the brave face. A true gentleman thru and thru.
Old 04-11-2010, 22:29   #195
Always EVIL within us

Owd bert sends his regards to all at Accy web and has asked me to say that his Albums are now up and running again, you can view them HERE

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..