Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 15:22   #241
Resting In Peace

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

As far as I know Marquis Street became Broadway, the Slaters was across Whalley Road from the Peel's Arms (now the Broadway)
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2011, 15:32   #242
Resting In Peace

See posts 100 & 101 in this thread

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-39784-7.html
Old 07-02-2011, 15:39   #243
Resting In Peace

Also have a look at post 168 in this thread
Old 07-02-2011, 15:46   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Hi Jeff -- Yep, I think you're right. It's me, I only read half of the comments. I went back and read some others later and Bob Dobson had already nailed it (months ago). Checked out an old map later too and as Bob (or someone else) says Whalley Rd starts where Abbey St ends, sort of at the junction of Peel Street. Then you had No 1 Whalley Road on the corner, then a few more properties, then Marquis Street and Slaters Arms was on the other side of Marquis Street, then a few doors on again and you have the Hope & Anchor (or whatever it's called).

Cheers

Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slaters Arms map.jpg (133.3 KB, 24 views)
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:51   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Hi Jeff -- Yep, I think you're right. It's me, I only read half of the comments. I went back and read some others later and Bob Dobson had already nailed it (months ago). Checked out an old map later too and as Bob (or someone else) says Whalley Rd starts where Abbey St ends, sort of at the junction of Peel Street. Then you had No 1 Whalley Road on the corner, then a few more properties, then Marquis Street and Slaters Arms was on the other side of Marquis Street, then a few doors on again and you have the Hope & Anchor (or whatever it's called).

I've marked the Slaters Arms with a little red cross on the map. It wasn't marked PH like the other nearby pubs, probably because it was a 'beerhouse' (that's what it's listed as in my directories) rather than a fully licenced Public House.

Cheers

Colin
Old 07-02-2011, 18:35   #246
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post

I've marked the Slaters Arms with a little red cross on the map. It wasn't marked PH like the other nearby pubs, probably because it was a 'beerhouse' (that's what it's listed as in my directories) rather than a fully licenced Public House.

Cheers

Colin
This is an old thread, and the location of those those properties has already been sorted, they have also been mentioned on other threads plus photo's and maps. A couple of old directories does'nt make you a historian, don't know why you bothered.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 22:37   #247
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
A couple of old directories does'nt make you a historian, don't know why you bothered.
Retlaw.
Retlaw - you are cruel.

What criteria does qualify one as an historian?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 22:59   #248
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Retlaw - you are cruel.

What criteria does qualify one as an historian?
It used to take 7 years apprenticeship to qualify as a tradesman.
I've spent more than 7 times that researching into the history of Accrington, and its people, spending a lot of time in Libraries and Public Record Offices.
I've got nearly 100,000 names of births marriges and deaths, plus census records, in this computer, going back to around 1100 AD, that does not including all the local men who served in WW1, which is close on 15000 individuals, all slowly typed in, from my original card index's, not scanned in or photocopied.
I think I qualify as a local historian just a bit more than some one who has a couple of trade directories.
I've also been criticised many times, for doing what I do, but its never bothered me.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 23:02   #249

Quote:
This is an old thread, and the location of those those properties has already been sorted, they have also been mentioned on other threads plus photo's and maps. A couple of old directories does'nt make you a historian, don't know why you bothered.
Retlaw.
Yet again Rude and Arrogant reply.

I really don't know who you think you are and why you think you are the only one that knows anything about everything to do with Local History and why you continue to rubbish other peoples imput.

Very sad
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59   #250

Quote:
Retlaw.
I bothered Walter because in some of the earlier comments, you appeared to be reprimanding katex, JCB and others for asking perfectly reasonable questions and I took exception to that and thought to myself 'Who's this arrogant sod, telling folk off on a public forum'

I also thought ''Well if he is so obnoxious as to belittle others in public, let's just put him straight'' ie, you were about 5 properties away with your 1869 ''fact'' as the Slaters wasn't at number 23 as you boldly stated, it was at number 13. No a couple of old directories don't make one a historian, but they do make you WRONG.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:03   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Yet again Rude and Arrogant reply.

I really don't know who you think you are and why you think you are the only one that knows anything about everything to do with Local History and why you continue to rubbish other peoples imput.

Very sad
Well said Anzac. I agree: Rude, arrogant, obnoxious, ill mannered (and I've never met the bloke).
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06   #252

Quote:
I've spent more than 7 times that researching into the history of Accrington, and its people, spending a lot of time in Libraries and Public Record Offices.
I've got nearly 100,000 names of births marriges and deaths, plus census records, in this computer, going back to around 1100 AD, that does not including all the local men who served in WW1, which is close on 15000 individuals, all slowly typed in, from my original card index's, not scanned in or photocopied.
I think I qualify as a local historian just a bit more than some one who has a couple of trade directories.
I've also been criticised many times, for doing what I do, but its never bothered me.

Retlaw.
I have all that info too - PLUS all their phone numbers. Top that (I still don't regard myself as a historian though)
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09   #253

Quote:

Retlaw.
I've also got a computer that can use different fonts and colours
Old 08-02-2011, 07:19   #254

Quote:
Retlaw.
Another thing Walt. Yes it is an old thread, but if we didn't ever look back at old / past things, there wouldn't be any need for historians and you would be out on your ear. tsoltegos (see, I can spell backwards too)
Old 08-02-2011, 07:21   #255
God Member

I think that you new members need to know that Retlaw is a very elderly gentleman who has spent a lifetime amassing material relevant to WW1 and Accrington Pals especially.
His knowledge of Accrington in times past is partly dependant on having lived it, and also from his extensive research on the topic.

He may appear a little brusque at times, but he has my respect, and I think that other forum members think the same.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..