Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2011, 15:35   #346

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Your comment is even more childish. Looks like you are beginning to realise you have been wrong about the Slaters Arms being number 21 & the Hare & Hounds was 27/29. Keep taking the pills.
Retlaw.
Nowhere have I said the Slater's Arms was No 21, that's what you said it was. I have said from the start that it was at No 13.

This is the first mention of the Hare & Hounds. Where did that come from?

You're using confusion as a diversionary tactic. It wont work. You were never a politician by any chance were you?
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2011, 17:25   #347
Resting in Peace

I now hold the truth. Oh hek, what do I do ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:17   #348
JCB

The Slater's Arms was 25 Plantation Street .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:32   #349
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
Nowhere have I said the Slater's Arms was No 21, that's what you said it was. I have said from the start that it was at No 13.

This is the first mention of the Hare & Hounds. Where did that come from?

You're using confusion as a diversionary tactic. It wont work. You were never a politician by any chance were you?
You evidently can't remember whats been posted previously, the Hare & Hounds hads been mention more than once in this thread.
I know I've said the Slaters was at nu 21, exactly where it was when it was open.
Don't blame us if your dyslexic with numbers. Look at the picture & count the doorwys back from 29, remember its an Irish run so only odd numbers are used, here you go 27 comes next.
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whalley Rd. Slaters Arms.jpg (237.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 14-02-2011 at 18:41.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:37   #350
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The Slater's Arms was 25 Plantation Street .
Nice one.
You missed one, Ring o Feathers, round ducks arse
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 14-02-2011 at 18:40.
Old 15-02-2011, 08:47   #351

Quote:
You evidently can't remember whats been posted previously, the Hare & Hounds hads been mention more than once in this thread.
I know I've said the Slaters was at nu 21, exactly where it was when it was open.
Don't blame us if your dyslexic with numbers. Look at the picture & count the doorwys back from 29, remember its an Irish run so only odd numbers are used, here you go 27 comes next.
Retlaw
See, totally arrogant and obnoxious again. You obviously really, really don't know what you are on about. The pub your arrow is pointing at the Hope & Anchor, not the Hare & Hounds.

I don't know where the Hare & Hounds was, nor do I care where it was and it hasn't been mentioned on this thread as far as I can see. Once again you are using a diversionary tactic to try and confuse us.

Yes your new (but old) photo is of the Slater's when it was still open, but still proves nothing. My argument throughout is that you were wrong in saying the Slater's was at 21 Whalley Rd, because it wasn't. It was at number 13 Whalley Rd, on the corner of Marquis St and as Bob Dobson says, was demolished to make way for the construction of Broadway. That would have been sometime in the late 20's or more probable the early 30's, which I have been saying from the start. Broadway was opened to traffic on 30th June 1936 and as I've mentioned elsewhere, preparation work and demolition would have started a couple of years earlier (early 30's maybe). So a few of the nearby properties like the Slater's would have been vacated and left to fall apart even earlier, so like I have said previously, possibly late 20's - early 30's.

I am of Irish descent, my mother being a Dubliner and I take a little (though not much) offence at your comment ''remember it's an Irish run''

It was very probably Irish engineers and Irish labour that built Broadway.
Old 15-02-2011, 08:59   #352

Quote:
Retlaw
One interesting fact, for me anyway, your photo shows that The Slater's was once owned by The Blackburn Brewery Company (Swan Brewery), which were another brewery that Dutton's (first Slater's photo) bought out in the late 20's. So for Dutton's to go and install new signage, as on the first photo, shows the Slater's must have had a few years of life left in it when they bought out the Blackburn Brewery Co (1928).

Last edited by blackburnlad; 15-02-2011 at 09:02.
Old 15-02-2011, 09:13   #353
Resting in Peace

Is number 8 Monarch Street Ossy still there, or is it now number 10
Old 15-02-2011, 09:15   #354
Resting in Peace

[quote=blackburnlad;883204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Albert Westwell he was called, if that helps !
Alred, actually.

[quote=blackburnlad;883538] It was at number 13 Whalley Rd, on the corner of Marquis St and as Bob Dobson says, was demolished to make way for the construction of Broadway. That would have been sometime in the late 20's or more probable the early 30's, which I have been saying from the start. Broadway was opened to traffic on 30th June 1936 and as I've mentioned elsewhere, preparation work and demolition would have started a couple of years earlier (early 30's maybe). So a few of the nearby properties like the Slater's would have been vacated and left to fall apart even earlier, so like I have said previously, possibly late 20's - early 30's.

quote]

Moreorless, except the Burgess Rolls still showed Alfred Westwell still living there in 1937 ... and that property did not show up in 1938.
Old 15-02-2011, 10:19   #355

[QUOTE=katex;883197]
Quote:

Agree there, Blackburnlad, and already mentioned this to Retlaw to see where an A.Westwell was registered in 1925.

Will go and verify this with camera, as neutral at the moment, but do trust Retlaw's word nevertheless.
In this comment you agreed with me katex, in that the Burgess Rolls are useless as evidence on their own. You said you would verify it with camera???

Not quite sure what you are saying in your latest comment (#354) Could you elaborate please?
Old 15-02-2011, 10:37   #356
Resting in Peace

Ok ... only fair to do so.
Photo of the Burgess Roll in 1925 attached.

The numbers changed to what they are now in 1948.
Have a sort of theory about why.
Burgess Rolls 001.jpg
Old 15-02-2011, 10:49   #357
Resting in Peace

[quote=blackburnlad;883567]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Not quite sure what you are saying in your latest comment (#354) Could you elaborate please?
That the Slater's Arms was not pulled down until a year after Broadway opened.
Old 15-02-2011, 17:52   #358
I am Banned

[quote=katex;883549]
Quote:

Moreorless, except the Burgess Rolls still showed Alfred Westwell still living there in 1937 ... and that property did not show up in 1938.
This is the only plan I can find of that site. It comes from the Planning Office, and is dated 1938.
Those Burgess Rolls show people who are qualified to vote, the address shown is not necessarily where they live, just what qualifies them to be in the voters list. Some also have a J alongside their entry, which qualifies them to be called for jury service.
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whalley Rd 1938.jpg (338.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 15-02-2011, 18:02   #359

[QUOTE=katex;883577]
Quote:

That the Slater's Arms was not pulled down until a year after Broadway opened.
Thanks for this katex.

Attached is a grainy old photo of that junction. Hopefully you can make out some of the names along the end building, J. L. Haworth & Co, H.Walmsley & Son and Riley & Co.

Now please see the attached listing from the 1935 Barrett's Directory. You will see that all those three (Haworth's, Walmsley's and Riley's) were all listed as being at Number 11 Whalley Rd, which was Steinway House. You then have Marquis Street and over the street, you can see the gable of The Slater's Arms at Number 13 (and listed in the directory as being number 13).

The original photo we have been discussing, would have been taken around the same time as the Barrett's Directory listing and wouldn't have been Number 23 as Walter said (which is what brought me into this debate), but would have been Number 13 (which is what I've been saying all along).

No Barrett's directories don't make one an historian, as Walter rudely pointed out to me when I first mentioned them, on page 16 of this thread, but they are a damn sight more accurate than his census returns or his licensing reports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whalley Rd Nos 1 -11.jpg (146.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Accy -directory - 1935 - Whalley Rd.jpg (318.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 15-02-2011, 18:03   #360
I am Banned

Another picture to add further confusion to Whalley Rd.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown & Catlows..jpg (235.8 KB, 91 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..