Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2011, 17:26   #376
JCB

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

[quote=blackburnlad;883692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Attached is a grainy old photo of that junction. Hopefully you can make out some of the names along the end building, J. L. Haworth & Co, H.Walmsley & Son and Riley & Co.
I remember Haworth's where they had booths to listen to a record before you decided to buy it or not , but I can't remember it's number .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2011, 17:32   #377
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
This comment also shows you for what you are Retlaw.

Atarah, Cashman and MargaretR all pointed out that your drawing of Catlow's corner was Abbey St and not Whalley Rd. So what do you do, put your hand up and admit you have made (yet another) mistake? No you make light of it and make out you did it intentionally to 'Wake them up'

Not so my friend. May I refer the jury to comment #299. You sir actually thought it was on Whalley Rd.
As I said Retlaw was clutching at straws. I'm sure on some streets and roads (in any town or city) you could have gaps between properties ranging from a few feet to a thousand yards. The enumerators wouldn't give every vacant plot a number just because they were there and there was future potential for development would they?
This is post 299. Nowhere do I mention Brown and Catlows as being on Whalley Rd, any one who has lived in Accrington any length of time knows the Catlows I was refering to on Whalley Rd, had nowt to do with fire places. Catlows sold fruit & veg, and moved into that building from their site at the junction of Peel St & Infant St. Most Accy Webbers have an Idea where Brown and Catlows was. All I posted that picture of Brown & Catlows for, was to see if Atarah was watching the thread.
Now your making a fool of yourself.
Never mind keep taking the pills
Retlaw

Clutching at straws.

The Hope and Anchor is numbered 27 & 29 to this day just as it was then, your numbering in the 1909 map is wrong.
The first from the top of Peel St then was number 3, and the numbers carried on from there, nu 5 is now a shoe shop, what later became known as Catlows was nu 19, then on the corner with Marques St was nu 21 Slaters Arms.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-02-2011 at 17:35.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 17:37   #378
Resting in Peace

[quote=JCB;884090]
Quote:

I remember Haworth's where they had booths to listen to a record before you decided to buy it or not , but I can't remember it's number .
Certainly in 1951 their address had by then changed from Steinway House to 15, Whalley Road. Photograph in Bob Dobon's book of one on their decorated vans celebrating The Festival Of Britain and shows the address.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 17:40   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
As I said Retlaw was clutching at straws. I'm sure on some streets and roads (in any town or city) you could have gaps between properties ranging from a few feet to a thousand yards. The enumerators wouldn't give every vacant plot a number just because they were there and there was future potential for development would they?
This is post 299. Nowhere do I mention Brown and Catlows as being on Whalley Rd, any one who has lived in Accrington any length of time knows the Catlows I was refering to on Whalley Rd, had nowt to do with fire places. Catlows sold fruit & veg, and moved into that building from their site at the junction of Peel St & Infant St. Most Accy Webbers have an Idea where Brown and Catlows was. All I posted that picture of Brown & Catlows for, was to see if Atarah was watching the thread.
Now your making a fool of yourself.
Never mind keep taking the pills
Retlaw

Clutching at straws.

The Hope and Anchor is numbered 27 & 29 to this day just as it was then, your numbering in the 1909 map is wrong.
The first from the top of Peel St then was number 3, and the numbers carried on from there, nu 5 is now a shoe shop, what later became known as Catlows was nu 19, then on the corner with Marques St was nu 21 Slaters Arms.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited
Well then I'll put my hand up and apologise to you for my misunderstanding and take back my comment. But as you were talking directly to me (not as familiar with Accrington as the natives) in comment #299, you should have explained in a little more detail.

Anyway, it was just another diversionary tactic to cloud the waters.
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 17:52   #380

[QUOTE=JCB;884090]
Quote:

I wouldn't expect anyone to remember the number of a shop JCB. I must have been in Reidy's in Blackburn a few hundred times, but I couldn't to this day tell you what number Penny Street they are at. Similarly with Mercer's which used to be on Northgate, I wouldn't have a clue what number they were.

The premises numbers in this ''thread'' were only brought up because folks were trying to place just where the Slater's Arms were.
Old 16-02-2011, 18:10   #381

[QUOTE=katex;884097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

Certainly in 1951 their address had by then changed from Steinway House to 15, Whalley Road. Photograph in Bob Dobon's book of one on their decorated vans celebrating The Festival Of Britain and shows the address.
Possibly so katex, which is where I think the clue to the present day numbering lies. You said you had a theory on that (1948 you mentioned), but you haven't told us your theory.

I have a theory too, but no proof to confidently say it happened, so I must emphasize that it is only a THEORY. I think that maybe (only maybe Walt), the businesses that later occupied ''units'' in Steinway House (Walmsley's, Riley & Co and possibly more?) became so established over the years that they warranted their own address. ie, one of them could have remained No 11, one could have become No 13 and one No 15. That would then have changed the numbering further along to what it is today. As Walter keeps saying, The Hope & Anchor is now 27 - 29 or something like that.

Now I know some will say ''yeah but would they re-number the entire length of Whalley Rd just to accommodate a few businesses towards the lower end?'' Which is a fair enough comment. But for all we know, there may have been other additional properties at various points on Whalley Rd that were built or converted over the decades (vacant plots built on, older properties demolished and built on) and maybe because of that, the Highways Dept or whoever is responsible for that type of exercise might have thought ''OK, let's re-number the whole Road while we're at it''

Like I say, only a theory and I'm happy to be shot down
Old 16-02-2011, 18:45   #382

Bill Shakespeare, who lived across Whalley Road at number 12 once said:

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, (or idiots) full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Can you please both take a Valium, retire to a neutral corner and let this thread return to delightful old pictures of Accrington, regardless of their accurate mailing address??
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 18:51   #383
Senior Member+

JCB might be thinking of Colliers Court, which was reached through a narrow tunnel. It was to the right of the picture, hidden by the lorry. It was just on the Royds St side of the off-licence that Atarah speaks of, opposite The Star. I was once with Little Pom and others outside the off-licence, having escaped from the dance at Christ Church. I think she was drinking from the neck of an East Lancs Pale Ale, or perhaps a Babycham.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 19:46   #384
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
Bill Shakespeare, who lived across Whalley Road at number 12 once said:

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, (or idiots) full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Can you please both take a Valium, retire to a neutral corner and let this thread return to delightful old pictures of Accrington, regardless of their accurate mailing address??
I agree, it's getting a bit boring now as both posters are convinced they are right and the other wrong.
More old photos please.
Old 16-02-2011, 19:55   #385
Senior Member+

If that does not sort them out , may i suggest a drinking contest at the hope and anchor , but hang on they would probably turn up at two different addresses never mind , pistols at dawn then
Old 16-02-2011, 20:43   #386
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
If that does not sort them out , may i suggest a drinking contest at the hope and anchor , but hang on they would probably turn up at two different addresses never mind , pistols at dawn then
He'l loose then, I won several medals for pistol shooting, also 4 silver cups, in rapid fire pistol competitions. I also won the Taylor Shield for long range rifle shooting, on 5 consecutive occasions.
Retlaw
Old 16-02-2011, 21:12   #387
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
He'l loose then, I won several medals for pistol shooting, also 4 silver cups, in rapid fire pistol competitions. I also won the Taylor Shield for long range rifle shooting, on 5 consecutive occasions.
Retlaw
Game,Set,n Match then init
Old 16-02-2011, 21:25   #388
Full Member+

Quote:
Retlaw
Do you have the evidence to back up these claims!!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 22:13   #389
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Do you have the evidence to back up these claims!!!
Yes
Old 17-02-2011, 05:40   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I agree, it's getting a bit boring now as both posters are convinced they are right and the other wrong.
More old photos please.
It was never about correct mailing addresses really, more about making a point that Retlaw doesn't have any right to go rudely dismissing others input, just because he thinks he is THE authority on Accrington's history.

You're right, it is boring. It was boring from the outset.

I have good friends in Accy, as well as relatives still living there and I worked there myself for a number of years. I always thought there was some nice buildings and quaint little areas. But I have to be honest, at the end of the working day, the road in the attached pics was always my favourite road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accy - Blackburn Rd - 1.jpg (81.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Accy - Blackburn Rd - 2.jpg (87.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Accy - Blackburn Rd - 3.jpg (87.4 KB, 78 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..