Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34   #256

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Retlaw - you are cruel.

What criteria does qualify one as an historian?
Apparently, a lifetime wasted slowly typing masses of information off index cards, loitering in public libraries (my mum warned me about men like that), the inability to accept that you MIGHT not know everything about everything and an arrogant, dogmatic, frustrated disposition are necessary qualifications.

Which is possibly why the majority of people don't bother with local history.

Still, I do enjoy looking at the old photographs and have enjoyed the comments that accompanied them. So thanks to the person responsible for posting them initially.

Now, I'm going to nip down to the Slaters Arms to drown my sorrows and reflect on my sins. Whatever was I thinking of, questioning an historian.
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think that you new members need to know that Retlaw is a very elderly gentleman who has spent a lifetime amassing material relevant to WW1 and Accrington Pals especially.
His knowledge of Accrington in times past is partly dependant on having lived it, and also from his extensive research on the topic.

He may appear a little brusque at times, but he has my respect, and I think that other forum members think the same.
That may be so Margaret. My mother is going on 85, but she doesn't criticise others in public because they dare to ask a question or two. I'm surprised you manage to keep new members.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:03   #258
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
I bothered Walter because in some of the earlier comments, you appeared to be reprimanding katex, JCB and others for asking perfectly reasonable questions and I took exception to that and thought to myself 'Who's this arrogant sod, telling folk off on a public forum'

I also thought ''Well if he is so obnoxious as to belittle others in public, let's just put him straight'' ie, you were about 5 properties away with your 1869 ''fact'' as the Slaters wasn't at number 23 as you boldly stated, it was at number 13. No a couple of old directories don't make one a historian, but they do make you WRONG.
Those directories have more mistakes in them than a dog has fleas,
still if you want to believe them thats up to you.
And that to you as well:tongu eout
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:06   #259
I am Banned

Quote:
I have all that info too - PLUS all their phone numbers. Top that (I still don't regard myself as a historian though)
Well aren't you a little clever clogs, seeing as telephones weren't invented back in the 1100's.
Retlaw.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10   #260
I am Banned

Quote:
Another thing Walt. Yes it is an old thread, but if we didn't ever look back at old / past things, there wouldn't be any need for historians and you would be out on your ear. tsoltegos (see, I can spell backwards too)
How clever of you, you must now be in your teens, when do you leave school.
Retlaw.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23   #261
I am Banned

Which is possibly why the majority of people don't bother with local history.

Still, I do enjoy looking at the old photographs and have enjoyed the comments that accompanied them. So thanks to the person responsible for posting them initially.

Now, I'm going to nip down to the Slaters Arms to drown my sorrows and reflect on my sins. Whatever was I thinking of, questioning an historian.[/quote]
Those old photographs you are on aout from John Kelly's albums.
I've known John since he was about 10 years old, and worked alongside him for a good number of years, we shared photo's and information. Several of the photo's shown in the threads came from my collections.
Does that make John as bad as me.
When you get to Slaters Arms in Whalley Road make sure you go in the right door.
Retlaw.
Old 08-02-2011, 19:56   #262
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I bothered Walter because in some of the earlier comments, you appeared to be reprimanding katex, JCB and others for asking perfectly reasonable questions and I took exception to that and thought to myself 'Who's this arrogant sod, telling folk off on a public forum'
Please don't think that his remarks to me are anything more than friendly bartering; I think 'he's ace' ... LOL... will get in troube again for that one.

Just try and keep an open mind and get used to his style. If you ask him a direct question, he will pull out all the stops to try and help you.

Met him for the first time on Saturday, and found him absolutely charming.
He was very busy helping someone with (I think) their Ancestry queries, with great patience.

To me, he rocks.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 20:44   #263
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Please don't think that his remarks to me are anything more than friendly bartering; I think 'he's ace' ... LOL... will get in troube again for that one.

Just try and keep an open mind and get used to his style. If you ask him a direct question, he will pull out all the stops to try and help you.

He was very busy helping someone with (I think) their Ancestry queries, with great patience.

To me, he rocks.
Just you watch it Medusa, your trying my patience, AND spoiling my image.
Met a few people on Saturday looking for their granddad,
good job I took my lap top, some interesting queries cropped up.
Retlaw.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Well aren't you a little clever clogs, seeing as telephones weren't invented back in the 1100's.
Retlaw.
Maybe not down your way, but we've had a telephone in our house since 1066 (and kept all the bills). Me and Harold were on the phone almost constantly that year ''That French bloke is after invading again Colin, what should we do?''

''Just keep your visor on Harry and don't look up''
Old 09-02-2011, 09:48   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Those directories have more mistakes in them than a dog has fleas,
still if you want to believe them thats up to you.
And that to you as well:tongu eout
Your comment that the Slaters Arms was at number 23 was from a directory, so you're being a little contradictory here.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:23   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

To me, he rocks.
Yes that's something that leaps out in his comments, he seems a very patient chap. Very tolerant of others opinions. He also seems very quick to form an opinion of people he's only just come across. He has me down as a teenager, which is very flattering in some ways. The reality is, I've been interested in local history almost as long as he has. In fact it was your very own Bob Dobson who christened me Blackburnlad, because at every book fair he organised, I would usually turn up at his stand asking for books, postcards and ephemera with a Blackburn connection. A little like Walt, I have spent thousands of hours in libraries, including Accrington's. I have an extensive library of my own, built up over three and a half decades. I have contributed to the Cottontown web-site, was an administrator on another Blackburn site and created my own site I have also done substantial research into the mineral water manufacturers of this district, contributing to other sites and publications and I've done substantial research of the breweries of Blackburn. Even with the local knowledge I do have, I don't regard myself as an historian and I certainly don't rudely jump down folks throats because they have dared to ask a question or two. You may regard that sort of behaviour on a public platform as banter, but it doesn't translate that way, when it is put across with venom. As others have commented, it comes over as rude, aggressive, intolerant and harsh. Retlaw may be an authority on all things Accrington, but does that give him a right to belittle or dismiss others input? We don't all have his knowledge of Accrington, so to see him cruelly putting down others comments, because they are less informed than himself, gets my back up.

Colin

Last edited by Mick; 10-02-2011 at 05:16.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:47   #267
Senior Member+

Quote:
Maybe not down your way, but we've had a telephone in our house since 1066 (and kept all the bills). Me and Harold were on the phone almost constantly that year ''That French bloke is after invading again Colin, what should we do?''

''Just keep your visor on Harry and don't look up''

It seems to me Walter that they aren't all locked away in Broadmoor.
Now I know why Harold got shot in the eye in 1066, he was looking up for the Vodaphone mast so that he could get a better signal on his telephone to ring blackburnlad; and I though mobile phones were a modern invention, you learn something everyday on Accyweb.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:51   #268
I am Banned

Quote:
Your comment that the Slaters Arms was at number 23 was from a directory, so you're being a little contradictory here.
I suggest you read the posts again, I cannot find any of my posts on the Slaters Arms, mentioning that the information came from a directory. Specsavers have an offer on at the moment.
I don't use Kelly Directories or any of the others, because of the errors in them.
Also many Pubs and Ale Houses in different locations, have used the same name, over the past 150 years, so what a place was called in 1850, doesn't mean it has the same name in 1920.
If you want to solve a mystery, where was the Rose and Crown in Accrington, some of those directories list it as being in Old Accrington & others in New Accrington, even on streets which didn't exist.
It must have had wheels on it, it moved around so much.
Retlaw
Old 09-02-2011, 16:58   #269
Resting in Peace

Quote:
you were about 5 properties away with your 1869 ''fact'' as the Slaters wasn't at number 23 as you boldly stated, it was at number 13. No a couple of old directories don't make one a historian, but they do make you WRONG.
Hate to mention this again, but I have an old newspaper cutting on licensing laws, and lists all the beerhouses in 1869, and the Slater's Arms was recorded as being at No. 21, Whalley Road. W. Wilkinson being the Landlord. 'Course that could have been a misprint ... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:17   #270
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think that you new members need to know that Retlaw is a very elderly gentleman who has spent a lifetime amassing material relevant to WW1 and Accrington Pals especially.
His knowledge of Accrington in times past is partly dependant on having lived it, and also from his extensive research on the topic.

He may appear a little brusque at times, but he has my respect, and I think that other forum members think the same.
Walter is a real Star in my book too Margaret, I've actually had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple of occasions and his wealth of knowledge is phenomenal, the data he showed me was unbelievable, how he has the patience to do all that research, especially at his age is beyond me. Okay he's a bit abrasive at times, but that's nout you want see the ding dong we have on another Web Site

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..