Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 22:50   #196
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

the picture of jacob st off grange lane did Moseleys Bakery replace those houses? memory can't recall how far on it went.
Old 04-11-2010, 23:27   #197
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the picture of jacob st off grange lane did Moseleys Bakery replace those houses? memory can't recall how far on it went.
Those weren't houses next to what became Moseley's in the photo of Jacob St, it was Jacob St Mission, the horse and cart is outside the front door, not very long ago an engineering firm used the part that was still left after Moseley's moved in.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-11-2010 at 23:29.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:38   #198
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Those weren't houses next to what became Moseley's in the photo of Jacob St, it was Jacob St Mission, the horse and cart is outside the front door, not very long ago an engineering firm used the part that was still left after Moseley's moved in.

Retlaw.
Cheers fer clearing that up fer me retlaw, was bugging.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:21   #199
Resting in Peace

Think I'm enjoying this thread as much as any that have appeared on Accy Web, great photos lots of information and talking points, a big thanks to John Kelly for allowing Busman to put his work on here for us all to share and enjoy
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37   #200
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think I'm enjoying this thread as much as any that have appeared on Accy Web, great photos lots of information and talking points, a big thanks to John Kelly for allowing Busman to put his work on here for us all to share and enjoy
Me too!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 13:14   #201
God Member

Err...just out of interest..can someone explain (Re: Post #193) how a lead coffin can float away?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 13:27   #202
Senior Member+

They said an iron ship wouldn't float-it did! If the weight of water displaced by the coffin is more than the weight of the coffin it will float.A lot of air was probably trapped inside the lead lining and it was in a wooden box. So it would displace a lot of water.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 14:07   #203
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
They said an iron ship wouldn't float-it did! If the weight of water displaced by the coffin is more than the weight of the coffin it will float.A lot of air was probably trapped inside the lead lining and it was in a wooden box. So it would displace a lot of water.
Most Iron ships are a hell of a sight bigger than a coffin. Think again. Do the calculations assuming coffin 6ft x 2ft X 18" with 1/8th inch lined lead; No way will it float, even with 1/16th inch lined lead and 2" Balsa wood will it float.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 15:37   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Owd bert sends his regards to all at Accy web and has asked me to say that his Albums are now up and running again, you can view them HERE
Thank you for more great pictures, and I have also looked at Owdbert's Albums, and they are so so good.......can't believe that I have been so lucky to find this site...
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 15:40   #205

It must work on a similar basis to the stone coffin of St James, which, having been lost in a shipwreck in the Med, eventually ended up many years later at Santiago de Compostela in Northern Spain (allegedly).
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 19:10   #206
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Most Iron ships are a hell of a sight bigger than a coffin. Think again. Do the calculations assuming coffin 6ft x 2ft X 18" with 1/8th inch lined lead; No way will it float, even with 1/16th inch lined lead and 2" Balsa wood will it float.
Now you're making me think!Don't forget it wouldn't be a lead coffin,the body would have been wrapped in thin lead sheet which was soldered to seal it then put in a wood coffin.However, I see your point, I'll have to resurrect my maths, physics and brain! That may not be possible but I'll have a go. If I don't come back with an answer don't be surprised.
Busman747, keep them coming, it's lovely seeing them.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 19:14   #207
God Member

The Gazette office in Abbey St.....

Is that a pub on the corner? would that be the pub that was asked about in this thread http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ubs-53656.html

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 19:57   #208
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

do ya mean just past the 3 rd lampost to left side of photo ken?
Old 05-11-2010, 20:00   #209
God Member

Yeah, but could the one on the nearest corner be a pub??

www.ubuntu.com

Old 05-11-2010, 20:02   #210
God Member

Talking of the lamp posts, wish I had a few of them, got a few quid from selling motorway columns and street lamps, them would be worth a fortune

www.ubuntu.com

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..