Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04   #316
Resting in Peace

Re: TESCO - new site in Accrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Cor blimey is this turning into a fight?... it's like rivalry between football fans .. would love to see the Asda supporters take on the Tesco mob in both carparks.. tooled up with trolly loads of value meals and special offers.
The only trouble is, just like some football teams Mancie, all Tesco fans would have to be shipped in from London
Old 09-03-2011, 09:05   #317
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The Aldi Crew would take 'em all out.

Arn't they German
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16   #318
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Went into Asda yesterday - they do have the best "Free From" range of foodstuffs, very surprised.
Perhaps everyone wqas at home making pancakes because the car park was the emptiest I have seen it, yet last week Tesco's was fuller than I had seen. Realise that one day is not much to go on - but..........
Also commented on the untidyness of the shelves - open spaces, empty cartons on shelves and no-one apparently re-stocking or even tidying.
Has anyone else noticed anything similar?
Sometimes it is murder when you go to ASDA and they are re-stocking the shelves, trying to do your shopping while dodging big trollys of stock and other people aint good for stress levels!!!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 13:26   #319
Senior Member+

I think they are both as bad...or good...on the restocking situation, certainly Asda no worse than Tesco. I certainly find Asda cheaper than Tesco, which is the main reason i use it, plus i can get petrol at the same time.

Tesco is better for Parking as a lot is undercover and certainly for a Wheelchair user there are far more spaces & they are wider too. The isles are wider than Asda, so getting around is easier.

I find the product pricing to be harder to fathom at Tesco & many items seem not to have correct...or in some cases, any price displayed. I've still heard a few people complaining about things priced wrong at the tills in Tesco, i'm not aware of this happening as often at Asda.

The wine pricing at Asda certainly seems more competitive than Tesco, & as i say i really use Asda because its cheaper alround!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:00   #320
Junior Member+

yes i have noticed similar -no staff around when you want them (like a ghost town) and stock placed on shelves any old how - empty boxes still on shelves, no one re-stocking and looking like a general mess!
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24   #321

I wonder how many staff are left, or is it still the amount they said.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 00:31   #322

As I'm sure most of you are aware, 90% (If not more) of the re-stocking (ASDA) goes on throughout my shift (22:00-06:00) Apparently the main guy for the Accy Tesco was in talking to our GSM (Store Manager) last week and they are nowhere near hitting the amounts of money they had hoped, Less than half if what I'm led to believe is true.

I guess it will be interesting to see how long they last ! We have to adjust staffing levels weekly based on sales so any fluctuation week by week has quite a big impact on staff.
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 06:29   #323
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Griff View Post
As I'm sure most of you are aware, 90% (If not more) of the re-stocking (ASDA) goes on throughout my shift (22:00-06:00) Apparently the main guy for the Accy Tesco was in talking to our GSM (Store Manager) last week and they are nowhere near hitting the amounts of money they had hoped, Less than half if what I'm led to believe is true.

I guess it will be interesting to see how long they last ! We have to adjust staffing levels weekly based on sales so any fluctuation week by week has quite a big impact on staff.
Interesting, don't ever remember seeing a Tesco up for sale. Adjusting staffing levels , how do ASDA do that?

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 17:15   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Adjusting staffing levels , how do ASDA do that?
Well, if sales that week are down, We have less money available for wages. Sickness, Holiday's etc all have an impact.

If sales are "poor" we generally cant afford to pay overtime, I know for my shifts (Fri/Sat/Sun) They are probably the heaviest delivery wise, And some Saturday nights are awful with the amount of work we've got to put in for such a small team.

We had a visit Friday by the area manager and some American bloke from Wal-Mart, who's encouraged by the direction the store is going and was going "back to base" to get us more funding, Due to the Tesco opening we had an overlay to cover weekly loss of custom etc. And as far as our main guys are concerned the hard-work we've put in has basically "killed" Tesco Accrington off, That is to say that they aren't much of a threat to us at this moment in time.

I don't think a lot of people know how it works at a supermarket, They expect to go in and get what they want all the time, Which in principle is fine and I totally agree with that, But the majority of the work, stock-replenishment wise goes on at night, People who finish work and turn up at 6-7pm to find fruit/veg low, products not available must understand that whilst I'm sure some level of replen goes on during the day, They simply cannot keep up with the re-stocking whilst dealing with customers and everything else working in a busy retail environment entails.

This is a totally unrealistic time for 99% of people to be shopping but early morning after my shift is done the shop looks fantastic, And that is the time when availability will be at it's highest, For the people who bemoan the availability of stock, If they get the chance to go shopping at an earlier time I implore you to see if you notice a difference.

That went on a little longer than expected

Last edited by Mik Griff; 19-03-2011 at 17:17.
Old 19-03-2011, 17:46   #325
Senior Member+

Very well explained mik griff, sounds like you are over worked on nights restocking shelves for customers and may be why when I buy wine at 3 for £10 I have problems at the checkout with discounts, wrong wine...wrong shelves.

Only joking, I think all those that work on nights do a great job, but I do wish you would stop moving items to a different shelf on a different isle

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-03-2011, 18:53   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
but I do wish you would stop moving items to a different shelf on a different isle
It pee's us off as well !
Old 19-03-2011, 19:39   #327
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Griff View Post
It pee's us off as well !
Tell the management to leave well alone, they may sell more wine at 3 for £10
there you go Asda a free advert. Note it's 3 for £12 at Tesco

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-03-2011, 20:03   #328
God Member

Seems Wal Mart over here in the US contracts out the store cleaning (floor polishing etc.) and shelf stocking during the graveyard/night shift to local contractors, (think you call them 'gangmasters in the UK) , seems the Immigration have twigged on and now carry out raids during the nightime hours , makes it easy work for them since the stores are in lock down mode , no one allowed in or out to prevent theft, and also good for Wal Mart/Asda's image since none of the public gets to see and be upset at the sight of illegals being bussed away in cuffs
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 07:23   #329

Maybe Accrington Tesco will go the same way as the one in Nelson.

Its now SHUT DOWN !!!!!!!!!!

We shop at both but defintly find asda to be cheaper, pop into Tesco for the offers/vouchers only.
sazandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 07:26   #330
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Seems Wal Mart over here in the US contracts out the store cleaning (floor polishing etc.) and shelf stocking during the graveyard/night shift to local contractors, (think you call them 'gangmasters in the UK) , seems the Immigration have twigged on and now carry out raids during the nightime hours , makes it easy work for them since the stores are in lock down mode , no one allowed in or out to prevent theft, and also good for Wal Mart/Asda's image since none of the public gets to see and be upset at the sight of illegals being bussed away in cuffs
What a good idea, they could try that here, and may be clear out some illegals

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..