Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2010, 16:13   #181
God Member

Re: TESCO - new site in Accrington.

Very impressed, a welcome addition to Accrington in my opinion, it even made me venture into town and spend afterwards........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2010, 16:45   #182
Senior Member+

Hi, I too was "nosey" and popped in early this morning. No petrol, no furniture, just another Tesco's really! Looked good though. So, why is it called Tesco EXTRA???? My slight concern was I found it a bit "daunting" crossing the roads to get home. I wanted to go back along Paradise Street, so you have to come out of the side doors and walk up slightly, in the direction of The Globe, where there is a newly created zebra crossing. So far so good. Then, upon closer inspection, you notice the pavement "dips" slightly and you then "attempt" to cross the road, but you have to LOOK RIGHT, LOOK LEFT, about 20 times before you DARE dash across. Twice you have to do this! Very odd! I honestly thought they would have put lights/pelican somewhere around the new Tesco.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 18:13   #183
I am Banned

Throughout the planning process, Tesco said the store would create 450 jobs and later pledged to target long-term unemployed Hyndburn residents for half these posts.

and .. what happens ...

Jobs have been given to 64 people classed as long-term unemployed, while a further 127 people have been recruited to work in the £32 million Eagle Street store.

Of those, 44 were Tesco employees transferred from the Nelson store which closed this summer.

now surely tesco should be good at maths .. seeing as they have to add up all the shopping we are going to buy ... and that should be 86 people long term unemployed ... rather than 64 ...[/quote]
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 21:00   #184
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, I too was "nosey" and popped in early this morning. No petrol, no furniture, just another Tesco's really! Looked good though. So, why is it called Tesco EXTRA???? My slight concern was I found it a bit "daunting" crossing the roads to get home. I wanted to go back along Paradise Street, so you have to come out of the side doors and walk up slightly, in the direction of The Globe, where there is a newly created zebra crossing. So far so good. Then, upon closer inspection, you notice the pavement "dips" slightly and you then "attempt" to cross the road, but you have to LOOK RIGHT, LOOK LEFT, about 20 times before you DARE dash across. Twice you have to do this! Very odd! I honestly thought they would have put lights/pelican somewhere around the new Tesco.
There is a Pelican Crossing on Eagle St. For how to use a Zebra Crossing read on.

Zebra:-
A Zebra crossing is a path across a road marked with black and white stripes where pedestrians may cross.
They have NO traffic lights.

See the Video
Duration: 1.10 min
Size: 3.44Mb
Pedestrians using the crossing should give traffic plenty of time to see them and to stop before starting to cross.
Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

So to claim your right of way step slowly onto the crossing and the traffic will stop

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really

Last edited by Benipete; 22-11-2010 at 21:03.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 21:20   #185
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
A Zebra crossing is a path across a road marked with black and white stripes where pedestrians may cross.

So to claim your right of way step slowly onto the crossing and the traffic will stop
Somebody should notify some of the drivers of that fact,
Old 23-11-2010, 00:07   #186
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Somebody should notify some of the drivers of that fact,
Of course not all plans are completely foolproof but we are in England and not Spain(not recommended there) so in theory you should be safe.

In any event compensation should be forthcoming eventually if you are injured or killed.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 16:19   #187
Junior Member+

I wonder how much good the new store will actually do. The market in town has been messed up, with many traders leaving, partlly because of the changes and partly because of new Tescos.
I am part of the team running the other new store in town, the community owned One Planet shop, which also has staff from Prospects Foundation on site. Small shops keeping money locally are the future for small towns such as Accrington. With Burnley and Blackburn only 5 miles away there is no need to make Accrington look like either of these towns. Eventually big stores like Tescos will fail(remember Woolworths!) and then where will all the local people do their shopping.
It will be very interesting watching the traffic chaos along Eagle Street and Paradise Street coming up to Christmas.
ruedetropal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 21:47   #188
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruedetropal View Post
I wonder how much good the new store will actually do. The market in town has been messed up, with many traders leaving, partlly because of the changes and partly because of new Tescos.

I don't think Tesco's have had anything to with that so far. Any who have left have done so because of the changes.

A previous post may only be one in a sea of gloom and doom but it's what I've been saying has happened in Burnley and will hopefully happen more in Accrington

Quote:
Very impressed, a welcome addition to Accrington in my opinion, it even made me venture into town and spend afterwards........
It's something that would have rarely happened with people shopping at Asda because of the distance. In fact I would go as far as to say I reckon Asda will probably close down before many of the town centre retailers.
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 22:24   #189
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruedetropal View Post
Disagree as ya did yourself in the "Market Refurbishment Thread"
Old 23-11-2010, 23:33   #190

Took a trip into asda today for a few bit and bobs, must say it was lovely and quiet even found a disabled parking spot with no problem.
Seemed to me and mrs there were about as many staff as customers so they must be losing money hand over fist, doesn't look good for the staff. It may even out over time, but at the end of the day there is only so much money to go round, something will have to give.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:32   #191
Senior Member+

I visited your new Accrington store for the first time on Wednesday 24th November. Everything about the building itself looks very impressive. However, the customer service is most definitely the worse that I have ever encountered. When doing my shopping I noticed that there were almost as many staff working as there were customers, yet, none of them wanted to help me find the items that I required when asked. On reaching the checkout I had to ask the assistant for some carrier bags & he passed me 3. When these bags were full I had to ask for more again & this time he slammed another 3 in front of me. When these were full I had to ask again for some more, this time he threw 3 more in the direction of my trolley. All the time during this he was more concerned that I was interrupting the game he was playing with his colleague of adjusting each other’s chairs for fun.

Overall it wasn't a very pleasant shopping experience in a new store. I would suggest that the manager should have a look around ASDA to see how a store should be operated correctly.

i.e.

ASDA - Cheaper. Friendlier staff. Checkout assistants that offer to help you with your packing.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 18:31   #192
JCB

To celebrate their opening Tesco have joined with the Accrington Observer to give vouchers to those who win a quiz .

The trouble is you have to be a genius to win . I doubt if Accrington's own Brain of Britain , Dr Reginald Webster , winner of the radio quiz in 1959 , would get this one .

Q. What date is Christmas Day ?

A. December 25

B. January 1

C. April 1
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 18:33   #193
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
To celebrate their opening Tesco have joined with the Accrington Observer to give vouchers to those who win a quiz .

The trouble is you have to be a genius to win . I doubt if Accrington's own Brain of Britain , Dr Reginald Webster , winner of the radio quiz in 1959 , would get this one .

Q. What date is Christmas Day ?

A. December 25

B. January 1

C. April 1
It's a trick question, it's February 30th
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 18:44   #194
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Thats only in Burnley Dave
Old 25-11-2010, 18:45   #195
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I knew there was something fishy about it .

I was going to opt for April 1 .

They seem to regard us as fools .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..