Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2012, 00:48   #16
I am Banned

Re: Licence's

I don't connect my TV to the ariel ....so i don't require a TV licence.
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2012, 05:00   #17
Resting in Peace

I don't have an Ariel but still have to pay my TV Licence so that's no excuse
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 06:59   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I know, but they think all us housebound pensioners spend their days watching Jeremy Kyle, so I would get pestered
If that was the case you would deserve to be pestered, by medical staff declaring you insane
Old 13-10-2012, 07:35   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
I think the law states that If you own equipment that Is capable of receiving live TV broadcasts you are required to buy a license,

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 07:43   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Power to the people bruvvers.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 07:44   #21
Resting in Peace

Here is a link to the TV licencing site with info on why you need a licence.
TV Licensing - Understanding your TV Licence
please DO NOT copy and paste sections from that site to this as they get jumpy and threaten to sue over copyright. ta
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 08:38   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
If you are such an anarchist, do you pay your rent/mortgage, council tax, utility bills etc? If not are you not very cold and living in a tent or squat? You have to be able to stand by your principles or they are meaningless.
In the eighties I did the poll tax protest to the point where I beat the bailiffs but was about to be sent to prison, by which time the poll tax had been withdrawn and I agreed to pay a nominal amount. I was protesting about a principle which I genuinely felt was wrong (but knew how far I was prepared to go, call me a coward for not following it through to the end but I cared more about my children's wellbeing.) I'm actually proud of the fact that I was part of overturning an unjust system.
I don't think that you can just not pay your TV licence because you don't want to, if you genuinely don't agree sort out a proper protest, don't rely on the people who appear in Court for non payment who usually have more personal rather than political reasons for non payment.
I think you may be looking for a cause to protest against which you have not found. You can't rebel for the sake of it.
Thing wi these people, many ive met oer the years. I find em to be be "False Alarms" or "Well Off " but gone oer the edge in the main. Most of em can also talk a glass eye to sleep. My remedy is to occasionaly poke wi stick (just fer my entertainment) but in the main, leave em too it.
Old 13-10-2012, 18:13   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I know, but they think all us housebound pensioners spend their days watching Jeremy Kyle, so I would get pestered
have a few books handy....
Old 13-10-2012, 18:15   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I think the law states that If you own equipment that Is capable of receiving live TV broadcasts you are required to buy a license,
Not true these days. If it ever was. Funny thing is. If that was true If you only own a computer without capture hardware; they could still accuse you of signing up to Tvcatcup.com or watching illegal live broadcasts/streams.

If you own a TV and only play DVDs, Watch BBiPlayer or other pre recorded media, play computers games... you don't need a TV licence. It even says it on the TV licence website.

Last edited by Restless; 13-10-2012 at 18:18.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:26   #25

But if you watch tv and don't pay your licence it's illegal and works out more expensive than if you just pay it in the first place.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:47   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
Technically your meant to have a TV licence if you have any equipment including phones that you can watch TV programs on. That is what it says on the form for TV licence information!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 22:43   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Technically your meant to have a TV licence if you have any equipment including phones that you can watch TV programs on.
There is no technically...really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworded quote as the bbc are complete idiots

you do not need a tv licence if you do not watch tv programmes as they're being broadcast live
Chris has a computer. He thinks that not plugging an ariel in counts. He can watch live TV a number of ways. 1channel, tv catchup...using XBMC software.PS3, XBOX360...... list goes on and on. How can they prove a damn?

TV Licensing - How to tell us you don't watch TV

Last edited by Restless; 13-10-2012 at 22:51.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
he missed the H out of where rather than missing the ' out of we're...which would be wrong too because then he would be saying "we are have I said that?"

/GrammarnNazi
Lol I've not read the post again Restless, I would, but it would probably cause me some sort of pain, and I like to go gentle on myself these days.

I am a grammar nazi. I cannot help it sometimes, I am perhaps hypocritical because I am absolutely atrocious at mathematics. However this is why I tend to make use of a calculator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
If you are such an anarchist, do you pay your rent/mortgage, council tax, utility bills etc? If not are you not very cold and living in a tent or squat? You have to be able to stand by your principles or they are meaningless.
In the eighties I did the poll tax protest to the point where I beat the bailiffs but was about to be sent to prison, by which time the poll tax had been withdrawn and I agreed to pay a nominal amount. I was protesting about a principle which I genuinely felt was wrong (but knew how far I was prepared to go, call me a coward for not following it through to the end but I cared more about my children's wellbeing.) I'm actually proud of the fact that I was part of overturning an unjust system.
I don't think that you can just not pay your TV licence because you don't want to, if you genuinely don't agree sort out a proper protest, don't rely on the people who appear in Court for non payment who usually have more personal rather than political reasons for non payment.
I think you may be looking for a cause to protest against which you have not found. You can't rebel for the sake of it.
I agree anarchic views are admirable, it's just that as you say, without being a total societial outcast and creating a more difficult life for yourself, it's difficult to be an anarchist to any sort of notable extent...And I struggle to find a middle ground with things such as TV licencing etc.

I think I am a slightly anarchic. But the reason I CAN be anarchic is due to luck, and due to circumstances beyond my control-and surely this makes me the opposite of an anarchist, my mutiny(partially) was cut out for me and I just went along with it!

As for the idiot box, I never had one when I had my own house , until I was bought one by my Mother. I never knew where the remote was and it got switched on about once a week when it suited me...

In the place I base my hat at now, there is one but it isn't even wired up...

I can watch things on the pc if I want to.I am quite hyperactive for want of a better word and the thought of sitting on my ass watching something somebody else decided was worthy of watch, doesn't appeal much, I'd rather do something fun, or useful...
Old 14-10-2012, 08:38   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
There is no technically...really.

Chris has a computer. He thinks that not plugging an ariel in counts. He can watch live TV a number of ways. 1channel, tv catchup...using XBMC software.PS3, XBOX360...... list goes on and on. How can they prove a damn?

TV Licensing - How to tell us you don't watch TV
Technically - means on the form issued by the TV licencing organisation! That you are not supposed to watch TV on any gizmo or computer - without a TV licence. Whether they catch you or not is a totally different matter.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 13:55   #30
I am Banned

Technically -There is'nt a law that requires any1 to have a tv licence,,,,i believe its all done by fear and contracts (They can only take action against you if let them take a statement) withdrawing their implied right of access(letter templates easily found) and then ignoring them and there junkmail can be effective, however it's only for the thick skinned (thats why i posted it here ) as they like to hound folk

Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote

« legit | Satelite TV »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..