Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2006, 18:37   #166
I am Banned

Re: What makes this a good forum

Madhatter you aint got a clue why the b*ggery are you still here for & attacking a newbie when you dont know him & he has his own mind i know hehehehe so watch out who you have a go at Strange how you think everyone is like you brainless & without own thoughts & opinions !
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2006, 18:39   #167
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
I have a stepdaughter who likes to be popular. She has made a total bollox of her life so far and she's only 18. She is happy to use people including her own family and friends, but whenever things don't go right whose fault do you think it is... yep you guessed, ALWAYS SOMEBODY ELSES FAULT.

I thought I would bore you all with that because somebody in this thread reminded me of her.
You think so ? Ask those who know me
Old 19-10-2006, 18:41   #168
I am Banned

Oh will someone get the silly jester out of the courtyard please!
Old 19-10-2006, 18:41   #169
God Member

Quote:
he has his own mind
I thinkyou will find the correct term is 'had' not 'has', I lost it years ago
Old 19-10-2006, 18:45   #170
God Member

Easy to assume you know someone dave, easy to assume I'm wanting to be popular. Infact I don't care.
Tinks is probably the only one on here who knows enough about me to pass judgement. There is only one thing I want and it's not to be popular on a forum. I've been there and done that.
Old 19-10-2006, 18:50   #171
God Member

I joined this forum with a post asking if somebody could send me a translation book for Accy speak. I wish they had I might have understood what that was all about
Old 19-10-2006, 18:56   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
There is only one thing I want and it's not to be popular on a forum.

No you don't want to be popular on a forum, you want a popular forum like accyweb. Accyweb really is a forum to be envied, I only go on a few forums that are of personal interest to myself, they have more members but no-where near as many regular posters as accyweb. The thing is hatter these things don't happen over night, Roy has put alot of (often thankless) work and effort into accyweb, accywebs popularity is all credit to him and mods. Just keep at it hatter you'll get there eventually.
Old 19-10-2006, 19:18   #173
Resting in Peace

This site has been running 5 years now so its taken a while to get it to what it is .
A lot of hard work and money on Roys part with a bit of help from us mods
its not an instant thing it has to be worked at.
So keep at it madhatter .
Old 19-10-2006, 21:08   #174
Resident Waffler

I would suggest for somebody starting out with a forum that your first priority is to build up membership. Then you can think of expanding into lots of different sub forums with different focus. What's wrong with a freebie like ProBoards or EzBoard? AccyWeb is an ever evolving and changeing creation. We have had things come and go. You just need to see what your members are interested in when you've got some and then build from there.

Old 19-10-2006, 22:20   #175
God Member

Gosh, it all kicked off tonight. You know that if this had happened in the playground you'd all be in detention by now!

What makes this a good forum for me is that it's not a kids site or a flirty site (although it has its moments) it's like having a chat with a few mates at the pub! You can't manufacture that though and I think it's quite lucky that this one has turned out like that.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Old 19-10-2006, 23:17   #176
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Gosh, it all kicked off tonight. You know that if this had happened in the playground you'd all be in detention by now!
It looks as though we’ve had one or two of the old grievances re appear again.... still, all quite now and perhaps we can all now mosey over and stick to the original topic because we don’t need or want anymore of that, I’m sure.

Old 20-10-2006, 01:51   #177
God Member

I want a forum with more features willow, you've got to remember I've got to offer something different to the other forum. Why would they come and post on a forum if they're already on one that they're used to. I'm not trying to get them to stop posting on the other forum, i'm trying to get them to use both. Different topics are important, but I need different topics to the other forum and as I havent got many members It's down to me to find them.
To add more features really needs a server, I can and have done it using free sites but its getting increasingly difficult, msn groups dont do chat anymore so i've got no chat room. I could just use free software php bb which I can add a chat room to if i've got a server or for my main site I could buy v bulletin. 160 quid or lease it 60quid a year i think which i can have a shop and petz on.
Are you saying I've got too many categories, or that you think its unwise spending the money incase it doesnt work? I could always go back to proboards and use the bb for another project.
Old 20-10-2006, 11:47   #178
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I want a forum with more features willow, you've got to remember I've got to offer something different to the other forum. Why would they come and post on a forum if they're already on one that they're used to. I'm not trying to get them to stop posting on the other forum, i'm trying to get them to use both.
Why would anybody want to use two - why discuss the same thing twice in two different places? That's precisely why Hyndburn Life didn't get off the ground - because most people were already on here having those sorts of discussions.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Old 20-10-2006, 11:53   #179
Resident Waffler

My point is that if you start out with a simple forum and gain members you can then find out what those members would be interested in and expand from that instead of showing a big empty space where no-one goes into any of the many and various different areas.

However, I have to agree with Gayle. If it's not a rival site what is it? People don't want to join something if there already is one serving that purpose. If Hattytown has a successful forum people are either going to stay there or join yours if they feel yours is better. It would be pointless the same people saying the same things to each other in two different places.

Old 20-10-2006, 20:15   #180
God Member

Suppose, thats if all members are members of both and the exact same topics are discussed by the exact same people so that the threads turn out the eact same way. In reality that doesn't work. If I started this thread today it could have turned out totally different. If I'd started it on hyndburn lite it would have turned out totaly different.
I think by not using hyndburn lite only you are losing out. You see it as a rival, when it could be an alternative with alternative subjects by different people discussed in a different way with different outcomes.

Suprise suprise, type hyndburn lite in to google and what do you get. A slagging off post on here.

Hyndburn Life??? - Accrington Web
If you loiter on Hyndburn - Lite too long , you will be a certified schizophrenic ; all that time sat around , talking to yourself . __________________ ...
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...life-6627.html - 111k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Excellent stuff well done.
Anyway with all the add on's I hope it will attract people and they'll post but if they don't never mind, It'll just be the poshest most expensive blog ever.
Does anyone know about web hosting and file structures etc?
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..