Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2006, 22:16   #181
Resident Waffler

Re: What makes this a good forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter

Suprise suprise, type hyndburn lite in to google and what do you get. A slagging off post on here.

Hyndburn Life??? - Accrington Web
If you loiter on Hyndburn - Lite too long , you will be a certified schizophrenic ; all that time sat around , talking to yourself . __________________ ...
www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/hyndburn-life-6627.html - 111k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Excellent stuff well done.
Anyway with all the add on's I hope it will attract people and they'll post but if they don't never mind, It'll just be the poshest most expensive blog ever.
Does anyone know about web hosting and file structures etc?

In order to really understand our attitude to HBC's little baby you really needed to be here when it was launched at some astronomical cost with posters going up around town to encourage people to register and the little man peddling his bicycle hoarding - then we tried to join! That was when the majority of us found it impossible to do so.

There were faults on the forum which actually blocked people from registering, or once registered it then blocked people from logging on. Yet some of us soldiered on and did our best to explain to the moderators that the lack of membership participation was due to these problems, not due to lack of interest.

We were told to shut up and stop spoiling things and told we didn't know what we were talking about and should be grateful for such a lovely forum! I was one of those who persisted perhaps longer than most because I wanted it to work. I didn't want Hyndburn to look stupid by having a forum people couldn't use. One other member and I spent ages looking at where the problems were and pointing them out to the mods only to be told that they had no admin as such but would consult with the techno whizz who created the forum. However, nothing seemed to happen.

I traced the techno whizz myself and actually pointed out the problems people were having. I didn't do it in a critical or cynical manner. I did it in a "please can you help out so people can join" sort of way but I was patronised and told to go away and stop bothering my superiors.

The access problems were eventually acknowledge but by that time most of the people who would have joined had lost interest.

They did a thing where they invited Greg Pope to come to a specific forum and answer "live" questions from his office in the House of Commons - but they didn't let people just post questions for him to post replies to. They vetted every one first so it took forever and before we got much said time had run out.

Here on AccyWeb Greg is a member and posts freely when he has something he wants to say to us and no-one is vetted or censored before they are allowed to reply to him.

Hyndburnlife had great potential but unfortunately it simply didn't live up to all the hype. It doesn't help either than the main body of the website has many glaring errors and isn't kept up to date yet purports to be the source of information about the borough.

Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2006, 23:34   #182
God Member

Just found it willow, it's hyndburnlife not lite, if your going to slate on it at least spell it right so they can find it.
Found the criticism too, that forum software is crap it does my eyes in. msn's forum software is better than that. Thats their main problem and the fact that the forum is hidden.
Old 20-10-2006, 23:39   #183
Resident Waffler

We're not mis-spelling it. It's an in-joke. "lite" as in not much weigh to it, not much going on there.

Old 20-10-2006, 23:43   #184
God Member

Must admit it is funny as f
the what do you think that ends up a word game is ace lol

And it's using frames I think, i've been told frames should no longer be used because they discriminate against the dissabled.

Last edited by Madhatter; 20-10-2006 at 23:47.
Old 21-10-2006, 07:49   #185
Resident Waffler

Quote:

And it's using frames I think, i've been told frames should no longer be used because they discriminate against the dissabled.
That was probably the very first comment made by either myself or Brian way back at the beginning but we were told to shut up because we didn't know what we were talking about and our negative attitude was spoiling things.

Old 22-10-2006, 10:24   #186
God Member

Well thanks to roys 'help' atherstone forum is no longer 30 i'm 255 when I search atherstone.
Old 22-10-2006, 12:05   #187
Roy
Administrator

Feel free to blame me, does it not occur to you that maybe your attitude had something to do with it? hehe, of course not, because everything bad that happens to little old you is always someone elses fault. Do you think accringtonweb got to the top just from unpaid links in my signature at other forums??
Old 22-10-2006, 12:39   #188
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Feel free to blame me, does it not occur to you that maybe your attitude had something to do with it? hehe, of course not, because everything bad that happens to little old you is always someone elses fault. Do you think accringtonweb got to the top just from unpaid links in my signature at other forums??
Here here! well said Roy couldnt put it better myself
Old 22-10-2006, 19:45   #189
God Member

My attitude made google place my link lower? Or was it because
you went into a members account and deleted their signature just because they won't link back from the site they are linking to and you feel taken advantage of.
Why don't you sign up on my site and put a link in a signature then post and you'll have your link back in the same way as I get mine. Thats recipricating the favour exactly isn't it.
Accringtonweb got to the top because it's got content from members and is on it's own server. It's members got it to the top, I'ts members keep it there, It's members make this site.
Old 22-10-2006, 19:51   #190
I am Banned

throwing dummy out of pram springs to mind here
Old 22-10-2006, 19:57   #191
God Member

don't worry mel I'll pick it up for you
Old 22-10-2006, 20:00   #192
I am Banned

Quote:
don't worry mel I'll pick it up for you
not mine mate its yours but no doubt you have quite a few spare ones to chuck out when you get sussed out from the good people of Accyweb - the best forum!!!
Old 22-10-2006, 20:05   #193
God Member

What makes this a good... 22-10-2006 13:17 you got exactly what you deserve

How do I deserve any of the treatement I've got in this thread?
What exactly have I done?
I've refused to put link in my signature on my site. I had links in signatures on sites up here so I haven't refused to link to here, and I've got good reason not to want links to here on my site. That is not having a bad attitude.
The only bad treatment in this thread is to me, I've had my signature removed and been told i'll be banned if I put it back. I've been abused, I've had karma deducted.Then I'm told all this is my fault because of my attitude.
That IS having a bad attitude.
Some of accyweb are good, however I do not class rude abusive people who take the **** out off people who give a lot take little when they ask for help.

Last edited by Madhatter; 22-10-2006 at 20:09.
Old 22-10-2006, 20:06   #194
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Why don't you sign up on my site and put a link in a signature then post and you'll have your link back in the same way as I get mine. Thats recipricating the favour exactly isn't it.
Accringtonweb got to the top because it's got content from members and is on it's own server. It's members got it to the top, I'ts members keep it there, It's members make this site.
You chose to come on this site, you chose to put a link in your signature back to your site, you chose in a very discourteous manner not to put a link back to this site, (please don't bore us with your reasons again they were very poor reasons in the first place).
Why should Roy have to join your site for you to do what is right in the first place?
Accrington web is top for exactly the reasons you say except for one minor detail, you keep coming on and whinging about how badly done to you are not just on this site but on the site of your own creation!
Roy and accyweb=popular, sound like a good site to me
Madhatter and number 255=unpopular even to it's members! Perhaps the site gets the members it deserves and if it does it can't be Roy or accyweb to blame.
Why not go and spend alot (in fact all), of your time improving your site then in a year or two you can come on here and brag about how good it is, just stop telling us about it we aren't interested.

Last edited by Less; 22-10-2006 at 20:09.
Old 22-10-2006, 20:16   #195
God Member

Why don't you get a life and some logic.
I put a link in my signature because I post on this site. Why should I put a link in my home forum signature just because Ipost on here and have a link in my signature.
I go on here blackpoolweb, burleyweb, talkbritain, according to you I have to have a link back to each just because I have a link to my home forum in my signature on each. I'd end up with 24 links in my signature.
LOGIC, try using some. A link in a signature is a favour by the site for posting on that site.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..