Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2006, 23:42   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: 11grand to discuss multiculturilism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Well that's it, nothing in the pot for me because reading this thread shows I'm not in the minority with the view that this is a waste.

Try amputation or lesbianism.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2006, 23:43   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Try amputation or lesbianism.
If you amputate the wrong thing you may have to turn to lesbianism.

Old 24-11-2006, 23:44   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
You want to know the reason my mum used to tell me why she & my dad came here? It will make you laugh. My mum & dad came from Northern Ireland and my aunt was already over here during the war and she wrote to my mum Helmshore was a nice place and there were jobs in the mills etc and to come over. Mum thought Helmshore - shore = beach so that is why they came over!! Over in Ireland if the nameplace had shore it was a seaside place. Thats what my mum told me.
hey jen pmsl there was a story in the telegraph in the 60s about a couple from the usa who booked a holiday in helmshore for the same reason as yer mam.

Old 24-11-2006, 23:47   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
You want to know the reason my mum used to tell me why she & my dad came here? It will make you laugh. My mum & dad came from Northern Ireland and my aunt was already over here during the war and she wrote to my mum Helmshore was a nice place and there were jobs in the mills etc and to come over. Mum thought Helmshore - shore = beach so that is why they came over!! Over in Ireland if the nameplace had shore it was a seaside place. Thats what my mum told me.

It's a good job your Auntie wasn't living in Elephant and Castle, your Mum and Dad would have been really disappointed.

Old 24-11-2006, 23:58   #65
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Off topic slightly, but did you see that tv programme the other week? They can now anaylise a person's DNA into where there ethnic ansectors came from.

They had all these 'true brit' types.

Gary Bushell was 11% sub Saharan African. Carole Thatcher was 42% Persian, and on yer bike Norman Tebbit was 39% Ukranian. Fascinating.

Rindy. 100 c**t.
I fancy knowing my DNA ethnicity. I've done some family history but you can only find out so much that way. There are a few mysteries on my mother's side.

I wonder which side Carole Thatcher's Persian comes from.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 00:09   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I fancy knowing my DNA ethnicity. I've done some family history but you can only find out so much that way. There are a few mysteries on my mother's side.

I wonder which side Carole Thatcher's Persian comes from.
For $395 you can.

http://www.healthanddna.com/ancestry.html

Old 25-11-2006, 00:15   #67
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
And so are we but you know as well as I do that to get any funding you have to be shown to support the minorities even if it means thousands more pounds of tax payers money going towards these tinpot schemes, you carry on attending the freebies if it makes you feel better, what a waste.
Im with you on that opinion, i do think its a complete waste certainly of that amount, gee for that huge amount anyway - i cant see the justification for it
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 00:30   #68
God Member

I just want to know which direction this breaching of divides of multi cultures will take? I am sick of hearing how I have to accept others way of life into my culture, GET OVER YOURSELVES I ALREADY HAVE, because I have had to endure years of having it rammed down our throats hearing how we have to accept it!! If people butted their big noses out maybe we would live side by side. When one seems to gain more than another, be it public funding, people start to resent that fact.
Old 25-11-2006, 00:32   #69
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
I just want to know which direction this breaching of divides of multi cultures will take? I am sick of hearing how I have to accept others way of life into my culture, GET OVER YOURSELVES I ALREADY HAVE, because I have had to endure years of having it rammed down our throats hearing how we have to accept it!! If people butted their big noses out maybe we would live side by side. When one seems to gain more than another, be it public funding, people start to resent that fact.
Well said Tinks & straight to the point, couldnt put it better myself
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 05:03   #70
God Member

Quote:
People aint happy unless they are putting their neb in. It has caused so much agro and suspision that its now justifying the jobs these nambies have by "stirring it up" when things look like they are getting on an even keel. If we are left alone without interference things might just work out which is what these people fear the most. As for the funding there must be a better use for 11k than on making it harder for people of all races creeds colour and religous beliefs to live together harmoniously.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 07:55   #71
Resident Waffler

The impression I got was that it was just a way of letting people see what other people are really like.

It made sense to me because I'm used to people having all sorts of weird pre-conceived ideas about Mormons when they don't really know anything about us. Stuff like all the men having lots of wives, teenage girls being kidnapped and sent to Salt Lake City, a tunnel under the Atlantic from Liverpool to Salt Lake, ritual sacrifices in the temples. It even came as a surprise to the photographer that our Bishop just dresses in an ordinary suit and tie like everybody else.

None of us got paid for being photographed and I didn't get paid for being interviewed about how I came to live in Accrington and what I like and dislike about the place and why I prefer to live in this area of town. I don't imagine anyone else who was photographed or interviewed got paid either, whatever their ethnic background so I'm just a bit puzzled about the opinion that's coming over that it's giving "more money to 'them' again".

Like I said the interviewer was a white Lancashireman and the photographer was a white woman from Yorkshire although originally from Dublin, but would it have mattered if either of them was black or brown or little green Martians with aerials comng out of their heads? They were paid in much the same way that a newspaper reporter gets paid or a wedding photographer gets paid - just for doing a job.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 25-11-2006 at 07:58.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 08:15   #72
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Tinks, you should ask to be interviewed. Then you can put your view forward as part of the project.
Old 25-11-2006, 11:26   #73
God Member

Neil, I put a call out on here a few weeks ago for volunteers to take part in the project - I got three replies and all of them are being included - a atheist, a muslim and a mormon (no prizes for guessing who that one is!). I would love more people to step forward.

This project is absolutely, totally, nothing to do with the council. The results will be given to the council at the end for information but it is not a project instigated by them or involving them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 11:28   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
If any bog standard 'Brit' cares about how Asians celebrate EID, I shall be very much supprised, most of us have had enough of it being shoved down our throats, cellebrate by all means but not at my expense.
This project is nothing to do with celebrating Eid.

Old 25-11-2006, 11:30   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
no willo it has got links to the council who help create half of this nonsense and the jobs for people who supposedly harmonise our communities. ive no probs with one off eid functions but it seems every other week some sort of function is going on with all the same people benefiting. how is that creating change
It has nothing to do with the council and is not an Eid function. What relevance has this got to it?

They are not the same people benefitting - I have tried to find as many people as possible from different faiths to participate.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..