Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2006, 16:14   #91
Resident Waffler

Re: 11grand to discuss multiculturilism

Pressie for Gayle:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step- Back-Brick-Wall.jpg (36.9 KB, 100 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2006, 16:40   #92

to gayle i already apologised if you thought it was a personal attack which it was not. i did attack the project and you shouldnt get youre heckles up eveytime someone disagrees with money spent as they see it needlesly. i stand by my views based on my experiences
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 16:52   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
There is a very small, almost miniscule percentage of government funding going to the arts - it's not the 1% that spent on the arts that is badly managed it's the rest of the 99%.
So what's discussing multiculturalism got to do with the arts? Are you trying to tell us that this £11,000 is part of the mis-spent 99%.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 18:58   #94
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
at the end of the day i feel it has nothing to do with bringing cultures togeather but an innovitive way of someone (who wouldnt be able to get a decent job otherwise) using this cause to get themselves fundeing for a nice easy intellectually challenged job. oh bigo theve succeeded and try to make the rest of us feel that they are really in a smart and responsible job.
Lets take you out of this post Gayle and I think that spinner has a valid point. I have seen and had dealings with people in similar positions as yourself and a high percentage of those have a snotty attitude when confronted, in my view it is a breeding ground for the faceless "Politically Correct" brigade that we all love to hate.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 16:17   #95
God Member

I wonder if Gayle could tell us exactly what will be delivered after eleven thousand quid has been spent. What will the good people of Hyndburn see? Will it be a report? Will it be tables of statistics? What, exactly?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 17:00   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I wonder if Gayle could tell us exactly what will be delivered after eleven thousand quid has been spent. What will the good people of Hyndburn see? Will it be a report? Will it be tables of statistics? What, exactly?
Why should she? her job is to get the funding not use all the money, why not ask your local council members or MP. The good people of Hynburn seem conspisiously absent at times to ask these questions, go to your local council meeting ask there. We need people who know how to ask the right questions to burocrats, why knock someone doing there job.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 19:32   #97
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf View Post
Why should she? her job is to get the funding not use all the money, why not ask your local council members or MP. The good people of Hynburn seem conspisiously absent at times to ask these questions, go to your local council meeting ask there. We need people who know how to ask the right questions to burocrats, why knock someone doing there job.
Tealeaf asked a legitemate question Bazf if you can answer it instead of beating about the bush, do so, but do not hide behind the inept Hyndburn Council, who only know what the officers or paid 'minions' tell them. Yes Gayle works hard for the Mid Pennine Arts, no one on Accyweb will tell you differently, but let us all have our say without fear of retribution
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 20:54   #98
Resident Waffler

Quote:
It's nothing to do with the council or Greg Pope. I was told there will be a publication of photos and interviews and (this is the shock horror part) there may well be a projection onto the side of the town hall of various participants including yours truly making a prat of herself!

Old 27-11-2006, 21:01   #99
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
there may well be a projection onto the side of the town hall of various participants
Now we know why it will cost £11,000 when the same people come up with this stupid idea, I could go on but what's the point.........idiots wasting our money.......mumble, mumble, mumble...............

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 21:45   #100
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
the Government squanders money right left and centre in the health service with all the bureaucracy. It allocates millions to the health service already which it should spend on services and not civil servants.
I totally agree with you, Gayle, but do those in charge of the local Labour party know that you hold such anti-government views on this subject? And, if so, will they let you run again? Still, top marks for speaking your mind - I would give you some karma but, apparently, i've got to spread it around a bit.

Sorry, as always, for the thread wander, folks.
Old 28-11-2006, 00:42   #101
Resting in peace

What is the definition of a civil servant, someone who seeks grants, or someone who dishes them out?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 01:45   #102
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's nothing to do with the council or Greg Pope. I was told there will be a publication of photos and interviews and (this is the shock horror part) there may well be a projection onto the side of the town hall of various participants including yours truly making a prat of herself!
Well if it isn't local money being wasted whats the big deal? All I here from this thread is "money being wasted and thrown away on something we don't understand". If you have the gumption to put it in to google and find out what it actualy is........

Quote:
The term multiculturalism is almost always applied to distinct cultures of immigrant groups in developed countries, not to the presence of indigenous peoples.
Multiculturalism began as an official policy in English-speaking countries, starting in Canada in 1971. It was quickly adopted by most member-states in the European Union, as official policy, and as a social consensus among the elite. In recent years, several European states, notably the Netherlands and Denmark, have completely reversed their national policy consensus, and have returned to an official monoculturalism. A similar reversal is the subject of debate in the United Kingdom and Germany, among others.
Multiculturalism contrasts with the monoculturalism which was historically the norm in the European nation-state. (Monoculturalism implies a normative cultural unity, 'monocultural' can be a descriptive term for pre-existing homogeneity).
So you see its will be good for you all, you say you don't want a multicultural society and now they are seeing if you can go back to being a monocultural society. Maybe 11000 isn't enough, some of you may want to give towards this cause.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 03:29   #103
God Member

maybe someone could apply for another 11K to find out why so many young Hyndburn folks (most of them reasonably educated and trained) packed up their bags and left the area in the hopes of making a better future for their kids ...... Is there anywhere local where an average young lad coming out of school can learn a decent trade which will support a family,? thinking of Bulloughs,English Electric, Lang Bridges, Rothwells ,Emerson&Renwick , Lucas, ROF , etc.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 07:48   #104
Resident Waffler

That's pure economics.

Old 28-11-2006, 08:05   #105
Resident Waffler

Quote:
So you see its will be good for you all, you say you don't want a multicultural society and now they are seeing if you can go back to being a monocultural society. Maybe 11000 isn't enough, some of you may want to give towards this cause.

Buy I don't think this project had anything to do with political debate or even our view of society or of other cultures. All it involved as far as I was concerned was images of who I am and what I do (such as my cross stitch) and why I live where I live. I chose to live in this part of town because it's high up and you get good views, it's far enough out of town to have fields practically on the doorstep but handy enough to be on a bus route. Nobody asked my opinions of other cultures or races or religions. I was asked about things I don't like too so it wasn't all sugar and honey.

At church the photographer just took loads of photos of people and some of the children who had been doing a little play and me pretending to play the organ. From those images people will see how normal we all are and that we aren't some weird sinister bunch with dark mysterious goings on.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..