Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2006, 18:33   #1

11grand to discuss multiculturilism

couldnt help noticing that in observer today that 11000 is going to be given to discuss multiculturalism in hyndburn. i find it ludicrous and could think of better ways of spending the money . if those people want to do this they shuold take out time voluntarily as a hobby
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2006, 18:35   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: 11grand to discuss multiculturilism

Given by whom to whom and with what in mind?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 18:50   #3

its been given to hynburn mela and community association for this project 'why do i want to live here'. probably the because this sort of money can be squandered in this manner
Old 24-11-2006, 18:57   #4
Resident Waffler

Is this the project Gayle is involved in and I was videoed and photographed for?

Old 24-11-2006, 18:58   #5
Resident Waffler

It's a funny thing about money - even when it is spent in the borough and local businesses benefit because they get it coming in, people complain about it being spent. That baffles me.

Old 24-11-2006, 19:08   #6

yes it is that project but you could argue that it could be spent much better than this and still have money spent in the borough. it could have been used more constructively and there are sooo many of these so called projects that i cant recall
Old 24-11-2006, 19:13   #7
Resident Waffler

Ah, but the point is that it wasn't just £11,000 given to Hyndburn to do something with. If it wasn't/isn't spent on this it wouldn't be there for spending on something else.

Old 24-11-2006, 19:20   #8

i disagree ultimately the money is from the tax payer probably from poor poles who have worked in bad jobs and it should be allocated responsibeley. like i said there are so many of these projects half of the time local people have no idea
Old 24-11-2006, 19:30   #9
Resident Waffler

Well Gayle did post about it on AccyWeb.

Old 24-11-2006, 19:35   #10

well that still doesnt justify it and maybe all that info could have simply been drawn mainly from here. this reminds me of that 600000 spent on a webpage organised by britcliffe
Old 24-11-2006, 19:44   #11
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
i disagree ultimately the money is from the tax payer probably from poor poles who have worked in bad jobs and it should be allocated responsibeley. like i said there are so many of these projects half of the time local people have no idea
I agree with what you are saying Spinner but £11,000 is just a drop in the ocean regarding the finances of quango's. Don't worry about Willow, she has recently been "Gaylified"

What I find interesting is your comment "poor poles," Was that a typo or do you mean the recent introduction of Eastern block workers?
Old 24-11-2006, 19:56   #12
God Member

We've had the discussion on here about funding many times - in some people's view it is a waste of time and there's going to be very little that I can say to change your mind.

I always try to be incredibly open about any funding that I bring into the area, so that the whole thing can be as transparent as possible. I'm not trying to hide £600k in a duff website.

This project is all about looking at why people choose to live in the area, exploring the issue through different faith groups. The reason why we're doing this is because we believe it's important to talk about different cultures and to celebrate similarities. Busman's right, this is a mere drop in the ocean compared to other projects and the results will be high value for little money.

If just two people come out of the whole thing with a better understanding of each others faith or cultures this will be a success.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 20:14   #13
Resident Waffler

You can hardly compare it to HBC pulling the wool over our eyes about Hyndburnlite which is and always was a white elephant.

Old 24-11-2006, 20:17   #14
God Member

As an addendum to this just a bit of info about the funding pot.

This was a funding pot called Connecting Communities - from the Home Office. So, yes, from your tax ultimately however, my argument about that is that if the money is available to be spread throughout the country we can not afford to lose out.

The money (a maximum of £12k per project) was made available for projects which connected communities. I was directly involved in the submission of three bids from different groups and was indirectly aware of two other bids. This project was the only one out of the five projects that got awarded any funding.

If you look at the funding pot - connecting communities - then you can pretty much understand why this project got the funding because we're really fulfilling the brief.

Every body has a different opinion of what a good cause is. As far as I'm concerned this is a high value project for a good cause - the sharing of knowledge between different faiths and cultures. But we could not have submitted a bid for anything else to this pot as was proven by the bids that failed.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 20:30   #15
Resting in peace

A drop in the ocean Gayle,my my what a load of 'cobblers' I live here because i'm stuck here in the poverty trap, created by not 'do gooders' but 'well meaners' they do no good to yours truly, I squirmed when I read the newspaper report, after waiting for a grant on my house (in vain** for 20 years or more. You can argue till the 'cows come home' but you will not change my mind. Ianto.W. I wish I was an IMMI'GRANT'.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..