Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

cashman 23-05-2016 13:36

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169367)
One of my favourite songs...my era...I can remember all of the words(so how is it I can't remember what is on my shopping list?)

I'm always doing stuff like that,Margaret, its called age.:D;) its a funny owd thing.

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2016 14:17

yes Cashy,. Maybe if I set my shopping list to a tune I know...I might stand a chance of remembering.

Less 23-05-2016 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169375)
yes Cashy,. Maybe if I set my shopping list to a tune I know...I might stand a chance of remembering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opr_...E58D1D0953D143

taddy 25-05-2016 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1168744)
By the way, I also will be voting to stay in, ask any ex service personnel, (not saying that I am)

After reading the comments from our ex Army, Air Force and Royal Marines High command in today's National press, I could well be changing my mind come polling day but then again who, if anyone is giving us the truth ?

Margaret Pilkington 25-05-2016 20:56

there is no TRUTH...there are only opinions, assumptions guesses. NO-ONE knows exactly what will happen in either scenario.

The IFS waded in to say that we will have to put up with more austerity, further cuts to public services and raised taxes if we leave the EU.
It is just worth noting that the Institute for Fiscal studies(IFS) receive 11% of their finance from the Eu...so hardly unbiased information.
Add to that they have frequently been wide of the mark on many financial guestimates(single currency, eurozone difficulties, the greek crisis, which is still ongoing,the financial crisis - they failed to predict the problems with any of these so why should we take notice of them now? All of a sudden they can see clearly how things will be in the UK post Brexit for some 2years....do not believe them it is all flannel.)...and also that fact that all of these financial institutions collaborate, then it is not surprising that they want us all to stay mired in an undemocratic organisation for all time.

I know where my X is going and furthermore I would walk over hot coals and broken glass to go and cast this vote - even though I am not hopeful of any change. Come the 24th of June I think we will still be in the EU...we will have lost any leverage that we might have had, and all of those promises made to Mr Cameron will melt like the hailstones in June thunderstorm.

cashman 25-05-2016 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1169518)
After reading the comments from our ex Army, Air Force and Royal Marines High command in today's National press, I could well be changing my mind come polling day but then again who, if anyone is giving us the truth ?

None of any persuasion are giving us the truth taddy, they are all suiting there own agenda, its down to common sense, i honestly think. What i see as fact, is our health service is getting vastly overused,we have no right at all, to rid ourselves of criminals and the like, and much more thats all been stated by folk on this thread, also FACT this is NOT the common market we joined, nothing like it, as i'm sure you must remember yourself? My advice is simple, ignore the lot of em and use yer grey matter and decide for yourself.;)

joaner3 25-05-2016 23:40

i would vote OUT if I could, but i've been out of the country for more than 15 years.
you will be alot better off out of it because Brussels is controlling everything.

Margaret Pilkington 26-05-2016 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1169528)
None of any persuasion are giving us the truth taddy, they are all suiting there own agenda, its down to common sense, i honestly think. What i see as fact, is our health service is getting vastly overused,we have no right at all, to rid ourselves of criminals and the like, and much more thats all been stated by folk on this thread, also FACT this is NOT the common market we joined, nothing like it, as i'm sure you must remember yourself? My advice is simple, ignore the lot of em and use yer grey matter and decide for yourself.;)

Cashy, the simple fact is that many people have lost the power of critical thought....they have swallowed so much garbage spewed out by various so called 'experts'(all of whom have been wrong many times in the past) they see how the country is going but fail to link this to the insufferable meddling by those who we did not elect, and worse, can never remove.
People in another country who want to 'show those pesky little Brits'......those who have no interest in our needs or how we think and operate.
We do not have a European mentality. In many countries in Europe they interpret the rule in a fluid way.....here we are slavish and follow rules and regulations rigidly.

We need to be OUT.

DaveinGermany 26-05-2016 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by joaner3 (Post 1169533)
i would vote OUT if I could, but i've been out of the country for more than 15 years.
you will be alot better off out of it because Brussels is controlling everything.

Know the feeling, same here all due to the scrote Blair!

Barrie Yates 26-05-2016 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1169518)

Retired senior officers of all our services don't tend to have political ambitions so I tend to believe their statements more than the lying politicians of all colours.

Eric 27-05-2016 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by joaner3 (Post 1169533)
i would vote OUT if I could

Me too I guess ... I don't think I could be swayed by any of the "in" arguments being trotted out ... nor arguments from either side come to think of it. I just couldn't swallow being pushed around by arrogant, ill-mannered frogs, and those wonderful folks who gave us WWll. Maybe my way of thinking is out of date, but I'm sure there are enough other good reasons for saying "So long, and thanks for all the BS" ... it'll make the rhubarb grow.;)

Margaret Pilkington 27-05-2016 07:07

I have said in the past that no country has ever left the EU.....However that is not entirely true.....Greenland left in 1985 after a referendum in the country voted 53% to leave.
Greenland was part of the Danish realm that took it into Europe......but left after 12 years.
Back then I would think that the EU was easier to get out of, it was probably less meddlesome too, although the reason for Greenlands exit was all to do with their fishing rights.

cashman 27-05-2016 07:11

suppose so, but hardly much really, theres probably more folk in Accy than Greenland, n most will probably be in Fishing Industry in some way?

cashman 28-05-2016 08:20

Seems Gibralter wants us to remain for their own good. Well give the sodding place back to Spain, see how they like that.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 28-05-2016 15:55

Ed Milliband was on TV this morning.
Telling us all we should stay in the Eu.
Why would anyone take notice of a former party leader who was so abysmal in leadership.
Remember his Ed stone.....what a bad judgement that was.

Exile on Spencer St 28-05-2016 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169640)
Ed Milliband was on TV this morning.
Telling us all we should stay in the Eu.

That's possibly because Comrade Corbyn wouldn't be able to do it without the risk of choking on his own hypocracy.

Barrie Yates 28-05-2016 18:47

So many high profile "has beens" or "never was" characters being rolled out by the Remain campaign - they will be digging them up from the cemeteries next, Oh, wait a minute, think they have already tried that.

Jim Procter 28-05-2016 19:53

Whether we leave or not Hull City are back in the Premier League.

jack preston 29-05-2016 18:01

When will we all realise that we cannot get out of the e.u. without all the other countries agreeing to us leaving,read the original agreement,bet nobody did back then.Ask the Irish they tried it twice a few years back.There is no escape.

Margaret Pilkington 29-05-2016 18:28

And Jack, what does that tell you about the EU?
It certainly doesn't make you think it is a democratic organisation does it?
It makes you think it is a dictatorship. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then you have to draw the conclusion that it is a duck......if it acts like a dictatorship. If it seeks to erode democracy, then it is a dictatorship.
Sending countries back to vote again until they come up with what the EU sees as the right answer is a symptom of a corrupt organisation.

The politicians, the businessmen,the 'luvvies', the banks all want us to stay in for theirbenefit.....not ours.They will not be inconvenienced by the strictures of increasing immigration(and all that it will bring)....they are the elite.....and the EU exists to,protect the elite.

Guinness 29-05-2016 21:36

*cough*.......

Still waiting for thoughts and an opinion from our MP on what is possibly the most important decision to be made by his constituents in a generation.

So glad I'm not holding my breath, he's most likely on an important photo call with a bunch of black kids that he can use as a twitter wallpaper..

Also wondering what the thoughts of the current nepotistic labour council are...

cashman 29-05-2016 21:41

He will go with the party line, no doubt at all.99.9% certain.

Less 29-05-2016 21:46

When the date of the referendum was announced he was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'I would vote out but I'll be voting to stay in', so it is as Cashy said obviously.

Margaret Pilkington 30-05-2016 07:44

Yes, nothing to do with what is best for the country.....only what is dictated by the party......and even the party leader is tepid in his support for the EU.
That is because he doesn't really think it best for us to remain. How blooming fake of this 'honest' man.

Wynonie Harris 30-05-2016 10:32

Almost as ridiculous as arch-hypocrite Corbyn. A lifelong Eurosceptic and now he's been miraculously transformed into a pro-EU believer. They all turn out to have feet of clay in the end...all of 'em.

Exile on Spencer St 30-05-2016 16:30

C'mon, Wynonie, you can't expect many MPs to vote against a well-established £Billion gravy train created exclusively for failed MPs.

That's one of the best reasons to VOTE LEAVE - to give the expenses-grabbing MPs, London bankers, and corporate robber barons a kick up the Arsenal.

Unlike a general election (when, whoever you vote for, the Government always gets in) this referendum is a once in a lifetime opportunity for ordinary people to stick it them.

Less 30-05-2016 16:49

But we won't stick it to them, if (and I hope when) we come out, or if we stay, they will use this referendum to stick it to us...

Either, well you wanted to come out look at the mess you have caused, or well you decided to stay, look at the mess you've caused.

A win, win for politicians a lose, lose for the plebs like you and I. 😢

JCB 30-05-2016 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169685)
When the date of the referendum was announced he was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'I would vote out but I'll be voting to stay in', so it is as Cashy said obviously.

Link here.....Politicians divided over European Union - Accrington Observer

Exile on Spencer St 31-05-2016 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169714)
But we won't stick it to them, if (and I hope when) we come out, or if we stay, they will use this referendum to stick it to us...
A win, win for politicians a lose, lose for the plebs like you and I. ��

Think I get what you mean, Less, and, whilst it's something that may be applicable to general elections, it's a dangerous counsel of despair in this instance. There's EVERY reason to vote this time.

It isn't about the economy. Over a reasonable period, say a decade, there won't be any difference either way, and you're right that politicos will always look to blame anyone but themselves.

But this is one of those very rare opportunities (some generations NEVER get one) for plebs like you and I to tell the IMF, the CBI, the Bank of England, old Etonians, loony London lefties, and big global corporate leeches to go suck it.
I for one am damn well not doing as I'm told by a motley bunch of trough-slobbering, self-serving, greed-merchants.

And I'd encourage every member of what politicians call "the awkward squad" (i.e. the public) to VOTE LEAVE, while we still can.

Barrie Yates 31-05-2016 17:26

Shades of the 1984 Thought Police from the EC this week - no more free speech if they don't like the subject.

Less 31-05-2016 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1169772)
Shades of the 1984 Thought Police from the EC this week - no more free speech if they don't like the subject.

That means what? More details please before you frighten the children.

DaveinGermany 31-05-2016 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169773)
That means what? More details please before you frighten the children.

Think Barrie meant this Less,

EU referendum: Brussels blasted for 'Orwellian' crackdown on online criticism | World | News | Daily Express

And just another point, in the article JCB posted, did anyone look at the poll results? I did & if that's the view of Joe Public in other local rags too .......

Think "Pork boy Dave" & his scaremongers may just be spreading a few more porkies concerning the intentions of the populace to demoralise the Brexiteers.
(It ain't working Porky Boy!) ;)

Margaret Pilkington 31-05-2016 19:51

I looked at the poll and added my vote to it......while it is interesting, I am afraid I do not trust polls. People do not always tell the truth...or they may change their mind as the pencil hover over which option to choose.
I also am not sure if we can trust those who count the votes......I wouldn't put it past any government to indulge in skulduggery of some form or another to get the result that they want.

I am in no doubt though as to the way I will be voting......OUT

DaveinGermany 01-06-2016 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169782)
.....I wouldn't put it past any government to indulge in skulduggery of some form or another to get the result that they want.

Like this?

EU referendum: Fears over Brexit vote integrity as EU citizens 'sent polling cards' | Politics | News | Daily Express

Margaret Pilkington 01-06-2016 12:50

Pretty much son...pretty much.
I do not trust the government or their agents.....and right now I doubt the integrity of the whole vote.

Less 01-06-2016 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169825)

I enjoyed the link from that page to the thoughts of chairman Allen.
Yes Mr. Sugar I would prefer to be thought of as a mug rather than believe anything you might say.

Margaret Pilkington 01-06-2016 14:04

Lord Sugar says his main market is in EU countries, so this is hardly an unbiased view.
Our trade with the EU has shrunk greatly and is predicted to be something in the region of only 16% by 2020(that is if you believe projections..I prefer the term guesswork) not sure if that projection is based on us staying in the EU or coming out.

Whatever the outcome of the vote, the EU will find some way of trying to humiliate us.

I wish I could find some dry cave somewhere.
Somewhere that I would not have to listen to the babblings of different commentators.....somewhere that did not have newspapers or any kind of media with their experts telling us what they THINK will happen to us.
I am heartily sick of the circus that is the referendum.....and the two letters E and U make me want to run screaming down the road

I think I am ready for that sturdy white linen jacket that fastens down the back and stops you from scratching your bum!

Less 01-06-2016 17:47

Let's face facts, the stay brigade will always be able to assume that out is terrible, I'm for out, BUT I'm frightened of the retribution the EU will put towards us.
If staying in was honestly good, we could vote without threats either from the EU or our own so called knowledgeable 'in the know', as it is, we come out we are shafted, why if it's so good to stay in is no one telling us what WE our country, will gain?
Why aren't the rest of the EU offering us reasons that would make us and them far more profitable so long as we stay together?

cashman 01-06-2016 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169848)
Let's face facts, the stay brigade will always be able to assume that out is terrible, I'm for out, BUT I'm frightened of the retribution the EU will put towards us.
If staying in was honestly good, we could vote without threats either from the EU or our own so called knowledgeable 'in the know', as it is, we come out we are shafted, why if it's so good to stay in is no one telling us what WE our country, will gain?
Why aren't the rest of the EU offering us reasons that would make us and them far more profitable so long as we stay together?

Probably cos that would be telling even more LIES?;)

Less 01-06-2016 18:22

Quote:

I'll tell you why Less, no one from the stay brigade will,

there are 28 members of the EU, not one of them is happy, they, like us, are being **** on, no Government can govern for their people, even the strongest members have problems (and no nation that is a member should be stronger than the other if this experiment is going to work), unless of course it is communism, Oh, perhaps communism is the wrong example of equality? They gave up in '89 and yet look how many equal millionaires the aftermath produced?

We have a chance of equalising Europe not just for us but also for the real Europeans. vote out, maybe there should have been a third choice, vote to stay so long as the EU changes it's ways to make it's system fair for ALL it's members.

Margaret Pilkington 01-06-2016 20:51

Less, that will never happen. The EU exists not for parity within the membership, but for the elite 1% who make the rules by which the rest of us are bound.
The EU does not exist to make the lives of the little people better. It exists for the bankers, the large corporations, industries....all those who have money.
That is why those are the people who are tossing around the scary stories about what will happen if we have the effrontery to leave.

On the 23rd of June the jailer will leave the keys hung up......if we have the cojones we can reach out, take those keys and free ourselves from the grip of this self serving arrogant organisation.......if however we like the way we have been treated(threatened, coerced, bullied...and we pay for this absurd treatment) then we sit back and do nothing.
We stay in the EU and let them do to us whatever they want, because they will know by then that we have no further leverage to broker any deals...there will be no negotiation...there will no reform, because that isn't what the EU is about. It is NOT a DEMOCRACY.
Other countries will veto the deals that David Cameron thinks he has secured....and we will look real patsies.

JCB 02-06-2016 10:00

Quote:

I'm for out, BUT I'm frightened of the retribution the EU will put towards us.

My postal vote to leave has been sent , but I share the same concern .

If we were to leave the EU , the EU would make life hell for us as a deterrent to any other EU members who may get the idea of having a similar referendum .

Barrie Yates 02-06-2016 10:17

We have beaten the bastards before - what they are really afraid of is the EU collapsing. Read what is going on in a number of countries at the moment - Austria, Hungary, Poland, Netherlands and others. We could very well open the floodgates if we have the nerve to opt out, others will then be able to follow our example and it will eventually revert to what we originally signed up for before we got screwed by Major and Blair.

Margaret Pilkington 02-06-2016 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1169885)
My postal vote to leave has been sent , but I share the same concern .

If we were to leave the EU , the EU would make life hell for us as a deterrent to any other EU members who may get the idea of having a similar referendum .

It matters not.....they will make life hell for us if we stay as well....we might as well get something out of it.....and as Barrie says it may just give others the guts to do the same.
This socio-political experiment has benefitted only the rich, the bureacrats, the failed politicians. It has done precious little for the likes of us.
And don't try to sell me the old flannel that it has kept peace.....that is down to NATO.

accyman 02-06-2016 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169825)
I do not trust the government or their agents.....and right now I doubt the integrity of the whole vote.

the deck has been stacked against leaving from the start

i have no doubt the BBC biased has been bought by government al;lowing them to continue taxing the british public for another 15 years and who the hell decided boris and gove were to be heading the leave argument

one is a randy clown and the other has failed in every position he has held

the vast majority of media is either reliant on the EU and government or in debt to it so its in their interest to promote been in it

Barrie Yates 02-06-2016 21:56

I think I must have had some sort of a dream today. I have a vague memory of reading that Corbyn has tried to persuade us to Remain because that will help to save the bee population?????????

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 06:21

This is because he cannot think of a valid reason why we should stay.
He has always been a Euro sceptic, but his party says he should promote the 'renain' argument....but in his heart of hearts he finds this difficult to come to terms with.
Our MP feels we should come out,but will vote to remain because his party tells him to

cashman 03-06-2016 08:36

Have just listened to Cameron saying immigration can be controlled,even if we stay in the E.U.:rolleyes: That must be why immigration has gone up?:rolleyes: anyone at all who buys that, is even thicker than i thought.

cashman 03-06-2016 09:32

VIDEO: 7 years ago this day, David Cameron said the UK needs to be independent from the EU | European Press Agency cheers neil.

JCB 03-06-2016 09:34

Has anyone spoken to anyone who is voting to remain in the EU ?

All I have spoken to are voting to leave .

cashman 03-06-2016 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1169951)
Has anyone spoken to anyone who is voting to remain in the EU ?

All I have spoken to are voting to leave .

oh i have, not very many, but kids seem to be falling for the crap.

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 09:37

There is NO WAY we can control who comes here.....or for that matter who stays here while we are in the EU.
In Albania the minimum wage is the equivalent of £1 per hour.
Albania wants to be in the EU......can you imagine the influx of people hoping to improve their lot by coming here and earning the minimum wage.......and probably getting tax incentives into the bargain.
I have heard nothing which makes me want to stay in the EU.
Frau Merkel has also implied that we will be made to pay for our audacity in considering leaving.
Now, is this the way that you speak to friends?
Of course it isn't and that is because we are not friends with other EU members.

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 09:39

My other half says he will vote remain.....but I can't be sure if he is doing this to yank my chain.
I know of no-one else who thinks it is sane to stay in.
I still think that come the 24th of June we will still be enmeshed in this organisation.......and my chin will be dragging on the floor.

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1169952)
oh i have, not very many, but kids seem to be falling for the crap.

Cashy, it is because they know nothing else.....have not enough life experience to choose and because many of them are gullible and swallow whole( without chewing over) the guff they are fed.
I also think that they have little power of critical though.....and maybe they don't care.

Wynonie Harris 03-06-2016 10:32

Seems a bit strange to me. I only know one person who's voting to remain. Everyone else, family, friends, football supporting mates, everyone in coffee shops, pubs, buses who comment on my "Vote Leave" badge, are all voting to leave...and yet the polls show the two camps neck and neck.

I sense some skullduggery afoot here!

Less 03-06-2016 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1169962)
Seems a bit strange to me. I only know one person who's voting to remain. Everyone else, family, friends, football supporting mates, everyone in coffee shops, pubs, buses who comment on my "Vote Leave" badge, are all voting to leave...and yet the polls show the two camps neck and neck.

I sense some skullduggery afoot here!

I actually met someone that plans to vote stay yesterday, Mick and I were discussing this thread over a pint when this guy uninvited let us know that he was voting to stay in and with over-enthusiastic force told us it was because of 'the human rights issue' which was a touch ironic I've known him for 40 odd years, in his prime he was one of the towns bullies, he never considered the human rights of his many victims back then.
:confused:

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 12:11

It is difficult to get across to people the human rights legislation in this country has existed since 1689 and is enshrined in common law......that prior to us joining the EU there was a European council designated to oversee human rights. It came about due to the desire to prevent the atrocities that happened in WW2.....it was drafted in 1950 and came into being in September 1953.....that the current legislation on human rights is going nowhere.

Leaving the EU will not have one jot of influence on human rights......but it will allow us the democratic right to determine who governs us......who makes the laws.
We will be the authors of out own destiny......not a County Council in the Federalist state of Europe.

Eric 03-06-2016 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169954)
My other half says he will vote remain.....but I can't be sure if he is doing this to yank my chain.

Hey, there could be a poem starting here. "Ode to my ....";)

Barrie Yates 03-06-2016 12:53

A little light relief - Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, arrives at Passport Control at Athens airport.
"Nationality?" asks the immigration officer.
"German," she replies.
"Occupation?”
“No. Not this time.”

Exile on Spencer St 03-06-2016 12:59

S'funny, Chubby-Cheek Cameron, contrary to statistical evidence, says he can best control immigration if the UK remains a province of the EU, but then seems terrified at the prospect of Turkey, with its 79.5 million people, ever joining the club soon.
You'd think, if it's so easy to control migration, he would have been glad to let in another 79.5 million 'customers' into his little trading club if there's no risk, as he seems to regard it, that they'd be heading to North London on the first bus out of Anatolia.

Barrie Yates 03-06-2016 13:08

Something I was told to have a look at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFt-pRIvL9E Found it to be very interesting.

Eric 03-06-2016 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1169975)
A little light relief - Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, arrives at Passport Control at Athens airport.
"Nationality?" asks the immigration officer.
"German," she replies.
"Occupation?”
“No. Not this time.”

More light relief, this time probably unintentional. Germany's Armenian genocide vote this week ... :rofl38::rofl38::rofl38: Germans! Think they are experts on everything. What do they know about what constitutes genocide.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 14:25

thank you Barrie. Much of this is what I have been saying throughout this thread.

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 14:27

Who is this man? He talks an awful lot of good sense.

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 14:32

I really do hope that Rainbow Six watches that bit of information before he votes.

Less 03-06-2016 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1169978)
More light relief, this time probably unintentional. Germany's Armenian genocide vote this week ... :rofl38::rofl38::rofl38: Germans! Think they are experts on everything. What do they know about what constitutes genocide.:rolleyes:

If I recall my history correctly, they missed their own target projection, maybe they tried to do too many things at once? At least now they don't have an impatient lunatic in charge??? Things can only get better under their modern outlook on democracy.

Eric 03-06-2016 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169982)
Who is this man? He talks an awful lot of good sense.

You Tube ... there are a whole bunch of his videos on there, hon.

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 16:28

It isn't a place I go to much...well other than when I have a problem to solve...there are usually folk on there who can show you how to fix things...for which I am eternally grateful

Margaret Pilkington 03-06-2016 16:30

Pat Condell...that is this chaps name.

Barrie Yates 03-06-2016 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169984)
At least now they don't have an impatient lunatic in charge???

Really? I obviously have the wrong impression of Frau Merkel.

Eric 03-06-2016 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1169993)

I never saw her as being all that impatient.

Less 03-06-2016 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1169993)

I obviously wasted the question marks.
[emoji32]

Exile on Spencer St 04-06-2016 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169988)
Pat Condell...that is this chaps name.

He's been talking sense for decades. Margaret, on this and other topics. Check out his website
Godless Comedy Pat Condell - Godless Comedy

Margaret Pilkington 04-06-2016 15:45

I have never heard of him before.

As I said I only visit Youtube when I have a practical problem to solve and want to SEE how to do it.

How can we have trust in a referendum where 3.500 EU citizens have 'mistakenly' been sent voting papers for a referendum which they are not entitled to vote in.
Firstly it makes me question whether it is a mistake or whether it is calculated to skew the results.
Secondly, it makes me seriously doubt the competence of those in charge and their ability to manage what should be a straighforward process.
Are they going to get blind counters to tot up the votes as well?

Margaret Pilkington 04-06-2016 15:54

The Electoral Commission says it was a 'glitch' and that EU citizens who turn up to vote, but are ineligible will be turned away....yeah, right!....and according to them it was not 3,500...but only 3,462 over 6 authorities.
I still have little faith in the integrity of the vote.

cashman 04-06-2016 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1170026)
The Electoral Commission says it was a 'glitch' and that EU citizens who turn up to vote, but are ineligible will be turned away....yeah, right!....and according to them it was not 3,500...but only 3,462 over 6 authorities.
I still have little faith in the integrity of the vote.

Thats complete crap as far as i'm concerned, how can they tell who??

Barrie Yates 05-06-2016 09:37

Restlessness and anxiety is said to be growing across top companies in Germany as next month’s historic EU referendum draws closer.

The future of German companies will be thrown into doubt in the event of Britain freeing itself from the shackles of Brussels as 2,500 businesses have branches across the UK.

As Remain and Leave camps drum up support for their campaigns here in the UK, DZ Bank says Brexit would cost the Germany economy £34.8bn by 2017 alone and the country could fall into recession.

German experts predicted Britain leaving Europe would act as a “slow poison” to their countries economy.

Margaret Pilkington 05-06-2016 10:22

Barrie, again this is all conjecture, guesswork aimed at creating more uncertainty.
Yes, I know that if we leave the future will be uncertain....but the future is ALWAYS uncertain anyway.....that is the nature of the future.
Everyone who has an interest in us staying in will look for the worst case scenario.....and if it doesn't exist then it is manufactured.

I will still be putting my X in the Leave box.

Barrie Yates 05-06-2016 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1170059)
I will still be putting my X in the Leave box.

So will I Margaret.
In '75 one of the 2 regions to say No was the Outer Hebrides. I commented at the time that one of the reasons for that was a large population group living there was military, the majority of whom had served in various European countries. They had greater experience of what it was like then and to my mind it has only got worse.
Germany controls the Euro and therefore the economy of the rest of the EU, even the ones who stayed out of the Eurozone.

Margaret Pilkington 05-06-2016 17:54

In one of the newspapers it mentions that Norway are still dictated to by the EU...even though they are not in ......it was stated that they have to take migrants...but the article failed to say that this is because Norway are signed up to the Schengen agreement......We are not signed up to this.
We contribute to the EU and some of these contributions will almost certainly be put towards the cost of the migrants in other countries.
So while the newspaper did not actually lie...it did not give the whole picture.

Gordon Booth 06-06-2016 11:34

Well, surprise, surprise!
It's called democracy.

MPs 'considering using majority' to keep UK in single market - BBC News

cashman 06-06-2016 12:24

These M.P.s wouldn't know the meaning of democracy,if it slapped em in the kisser.:rolleyes:

Exile on Spencer St 06-06-2016 21:12

There's a surprise, one of the MPs who thinks he has the right to stymie a possible Vote Leave victory is called Kinnock. There's an entire family who've made it a career to suck down expenses from the EU, and obviously don't want it to end. Talk about self- serving. Exactly why I'll be voting Leave.

DaveinGermany 07-06-2016 05:12

Just seems to confirm the opinion that those advocating stay are concerned with what's good for them & not the British public! If you're foolish enough to vote stay & you get your way, it's no use whining & bleating x years down the line when you're being stuffed for housing, places for your kids in schools, visits to doctors & dentists or turned down for a job because you won't work for a pittance because some migrant will!

You made your festering pit, now live with it!

Alternatively, do the wise thing & vote OUT!

Margaret Pilkington 07-06-2016 07:06

I keep on repeating mysel(must be my age)......I have been saying that all those in the Remain camp care only for their needs and are not interested in what is in the best interests of Britain.
I have also said that come the 24th of June we will still be a part of that money hungry, undemocratic, arrogant organisation that is the EU.
We can't be allowed to leave. It would be the death knell for the EU.
If Brexit happened how long do you think it woul be before there was a Spexit and a Frexit?
No.....we will either be sent back like naughty children, to do the work again.....or as the news article says, our vote would be over ruled by those we PAY to represent us, but treat us with similar contempt to those bureaucrats in the EU.
Vote OUT.

cashman 07-06-2016 07:40

Are people that stupid? i think possibly!! Folk are voting for the likes of Farage, Trump in the USA, simply cos they say what people want to hear, and the mainline politicians refuse to take certain issues on board, anyone with any sense will vote OUT in my view.

DaveinGermany 07-06-2016 18:17

Just catching up on the papers & read this, surely those not hard of thinking have got to understand the reality of what the man is saying.

Undecided on the EU referendum ? SEVEN reasons to vote LEAVE, writes Dan Hannan | Express Comment | Comment | Daily Express

cashman 07-06-2016 18:41

That is well worth reading Dave.

Less 07-06-2016 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1170166)
That is well worth reading Dave.

Worth reading?

Yes.

Will it make any difference?

Highly doubtful when our M.P.'s can't vote as their conscience dictates, we are still going to be screwed because politicians will keep telling us what is best for them, not us as a whole.

Eric 07-06-2016 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1170163)
Just catching up on the papers & read this, surely those not hard of thinking have got to understand the reality of what the man is saying.

Undecided on the EU referendum ? SEVEN reasons to vote LEAVE, writes Dan Hannan | Express Comment | Comment | Daily Express

Reason #7 says it all.

And if the Krauts get peed off at us, what are they going to do? Bomb London. Again.;)

Margaret Pilkington 07-06-2016 19:01

This is from Daniel Hannan who is an MEP.

DaveinGermany 07-06-2016 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1170168)
And if the Krauts get peed off at us, what are they going to do? Bomb London. Again.;)

Not going to happen Mate, they're scrattin' around as it is to get aircraft airborne. ;)

Less than half of German air force fleet ready for deployment | News | DW.COM | 02.12.2015

Barrie Yates 07-06-2016 23:25

Did you miss the Reuters report DinG?
BERLIN, June 7 (Reuters) - Migrants in Germany committed or tried to commit some 69,000 crimes in the first quarter of 2016, according to a police report that could raise unease, especially among anti-immigrant groups, about Chancellor Angela Merkel's liberal migrant policy.
Could get even worse when the European females start wearing provocative summer clothes.

DaveinGermany 08-06-2016 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1170184)
Did you miss the Reuters report DinG?

Didn't see the Reuters, but I regularly look at the Breitbart (London) website. Plenty of reports & information about "Migrant" problems in Germany, Sweden, Austria, Denmark & elsewhere, all mostly subdued & withheld from their indigenous population on orders from "above", so as not to cause further resentment amongst the serfs!

I've also seen mention of another site called "New observer", had a nose a few times out of curiosity. Another American product with rather "strong" opinions so to speak, so don't really bother with it.

cashman 08-06-2016 07:28

Have just been listening to the "Chairman Of Economists For Britain" on sky news, A guy who obviously knows far more than any of us, in that department, and he says Leave and after a possible short term blip, we will be much better off OUT.

Margaret Pilkington 08-06-2016 07:30

There are two ways in which nations can be controlled.
By battle and bloodshed....or by debt.
When Greece looked like it would be kicked out of the EU and wanted to leave, what did the EU do?
It put in an unelected government which was EU favourable and it saddled Greece with unimaginable debt.
Are they better off for this?
There is 50%unemployment in Greece right now.
Wouldn't it have been kinder to let Greece leave......return to the Drachma, devalue the currency(making goods and services more attractive) and letting the Greek economy find its own level.
Ok they would still have been in for a difficult time, but they could have made a far better fist of recovery.....and the work they did would be for their own people and their esteem.

Exile on Spencer St 08-06-2016 12:09

Why spend money on war planes when the IMF, ECB, and the Bundesbank can achieve the same result for much less.

In the EU, 'national' debt is the blitzkrieg de nous jours, ¿entender?, compagni contadini.

accyman 08-06-2016 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1170129)
Just seems to confirm the opinion that those advocating stay are concerned with what's good for them & not the British public! If you're foolish enough to vote stay & you get your way, it's no use whining & bleating x years down the line when you're being stuffed for housing, places for your kids in schools, visits to doctors & dentists or turned down for a job because you won't work for a pittance because some migrant will!

You made your festering pit, now live with it!

Alternatively, do the wise thing & vote OUT!

its already happening so they must be OK with it

Eric 08-06-2016 14:42

If I were able to vote, I would ignore the economic arguments ... both "leave" and "stay" ... Economics is just guesswork, like weather predictions over time periods of longer than a week. It can be used to support both sides. Economic "facts", like statistics in general, are used as "a drunken man uses a lamppost - more for support than illumination." I think ... and this is pure guesswork on my part ... that many folks will vote not with their heads but with their hearts. I don't think that's a bad idea. Your vote is your voice. And, as Leo Amery enjoined in '39, many will "Speak for England," and say to the European parliament and its bloated bureaucracy what Cromwell said to parliament: "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go." Or, "for chrissakes, just [deleted] off; we can handle things ourselves."

By the way, over here in the colonies, we are keeping in touch with what is happening even though we are not directly involved:

A Brexit reminder of when things fall apart: Don Pittis - Business - CBC News

Margaret Pilkington 08-06-2016 16:23

spot on Eric...and for good measure these financial experts who now have 20/20 forward vision are the ones who took us all into the financial crisis in 2008.
Thier vision was not so damn crash hot then, so why should we put trust in them now?? Add to that the fact that they are all involved in the EU in some way or another( Goldman Sachs is bank rolling the Remain campaign) Many of the other financial institutions are biased towards the EU(like the IMF....the head of which, Christine Lagarde, is under scrutiny for her financial dealings)or are Bilderbergers.
I have no doubt which way I shall vote.
Anyway David Camerons father in law(Viscount Astor) says it is all academic as whatever we vote is only 'advisory' and Parliament has the final say...so all this crap we have had pushed at us may be for no good reason at all.