Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

hilleluk 04-09-2017 15:07

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Well I'm trying to look on the optimistic side of these negotiations, but every day the optimism is getting less and less. The Labour party are giving the EU hope, that we might not leave. Kim Jem Corbyn and his Comrades are going all out to Scupper a deal

Less 04-09-2017 15:15

Optimism is the false hope you clung onto yesterday after all things can't get worse can they?
As for labour, they are wasting their time, the rest of the EU will make life difficult without their help, we were only allowed in so the rest of Europe could milk us, now they will send us to the slaughterhouse rather than allow a decent settlement (we are negotiating with foreigners they never play fair).

Less 04-09-2017 16:35

What we need is a strong, honest, politician that has the guts to realise that no matter what the EU place in our path we will have our way.
I don't mean a Hitler that wishes to exterminate any threat that may come our way, we need someone that has the interests of the nation at heart.
We need to finish with Europe and consider further trade with the Commonwealth, allowed because we aren't hindered by the corrupt continent.

Where will we find such a courageous soul?

I don't know, but I believe, not all our politicians are corrupt and in it for the easy money, (I also believe in Father Christmas) there must be a person out there that at the last moment will stand true for us all, (it's happened before in history), I just hope that whomsoever this person is they have more nouse about them than superman, after all that daft sod wears his underpants on the outside!

Margaret Pilkington 04-09-2017 21:02

That is the million dollar question Less.
I wish I had the answer.
What i do know though is that while ever the government pull in different directions, while ever they continue the rancorous in fighting, the EU are rubbing their hands with glee.
I know that whatever their differences, they need to be put aside FOR THE SAKE OF THE COUNTRY.

The EU love the thought that the democratic process might just come a cropper. They do not like democracy, they do not believe in democracy, they do not believe we should be allowed to have a say in the future of this country.
To determine the direction in which we go.
The last thing those in the EU want is for the UK to succeed...for them to promote a united front...because it is a united front which wins battles.
What we really need is a good poker player...one who would be willing to call the bluff of those sat at the table...someone who would walk away rather than accept the crumbs that they want us to have.

monkey hanger 05-09-2017 08:59

[QUOTE=Less;1200873]
We need to finish with Europe and consider further trade with the Commonwealth, allowed because we aren't hindered by the corrupt continent.

the reason i voted against joining the original coomon market in the 70,s was that we were part of a common market already for our exports it was called the british commonwealth where a lot of our goods were sold when we actually did a lot of manufacturing in this country. it was a good day for european car manufacturers when we joined when they sold their products in much larger numbers here and in commonwealth countries.

DaveinGermany 06-09-2017 15:05

Once again the eu & ecj stamping wilfully over sovereign nations right to self govern, how can the useful idiot remainers not see the eu for what it really is?

Migrant crisis - ECJ rejects Hungary and Slovakia's claim against refugee quotas | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

We really do need to get the hell out & right now!

cashman 06-09-2017 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1200938)
Once again the eu & ecj stamping wilfully over sovereign nations right to self govern, how can the useful idiot remainers not see the eu for what it really is?

Migrant crisis - ECJ rejects Hungary and Slovakia's claim against refugee quotas | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Never a truer word spoken Dave.

Less 06-09-2017 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1200938)

Perhaps it's the old and ill educated members of these Countries that are objecting to the EU rulings? Or maybe it's their students?

Nah, I think just about every free thinking member of every Country is sick to the back teeth of how they are forced to do what the corrupt and bullying EU insist they should do, it's not just us that are peaced off with the way things are!

Less 06-09-2017 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1200940)
Perhaps it's the old and ill educated members of these Countries that are objecting to the EU rulings? Or maybe it's their students?

Nah, I think just about every free thinking member of every Country is sick to the back teeth of how they are forced to do what the corrupt and bullying EU insist they should do, it's not just us that are peaced off with the way things are!

That may be our advantage?

Instead of fighting this bureaucracy alone we should have a referendum of all the member states and find how dissatisfied everyone else is?

Obviously the main powers want to see us driven into the ground (a couple of them can't stand the way we've always stood up to their bullying warlike ways, (Parley vous Deutsche?) with our winning bullying warlike ways).

Maybe we have enough friends among the rest if we encourage them to speak out against what is wrong?

DaveinGermany 06-09-2017 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1200941)
and find how dissatisfied everyone else is?

Well I think the Belgiques are a tad miffed & when the rest of the "Payees" see where their hard earned is going, they too may be somewhat dischuffed!

European Union - Brussels locals furious at EU plans to rebuild Parliament | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

DaveinGermany 09-09-2017 09:40

Lawks & Lummy! Whatever will the delicate little prissy remoaner snowflakes do now? The eu promised lower roaming tariffs so obviously a reason to demand UK stay tied to the eu ....... well I never, those pesky providers have upped their charges in general & there's not a damned thing the europrats can do about it.

How stupid can some people be?

European Union - Danish customers complain about price rises over EU roaming charge scheme | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

cashman 09-09-2017 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1201057)
Lawks & Lummy! Whatever will the delicate little prissy remoaner snowflakes do now? The eu promised lower roaming tariffs so obviously a reason to demand UK stay tied to the eu ....... well I never, those pesky providers have upped their charges in general & there's not a damned thing the europrats can do about it.

How stupid can some people be?

European Union - Danish customers complain about price rises over EU roaming charge scheme | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

That question should be aimed at the fools that wanted to remain,;)

Margaret Pilkington 09-09-2017 10:30

I think the answer to that son is... very stupid...a bit like those brainless(or maybe the kinder term would be gullible...lacking in life experience) students who, when told the St Jezza was going to abolish tuition fees and wipe out student debt...voted for him in their droves...and these are the one who are supposed to have some modicum of intelligence...enough to get them INTO uni anyway

Margaret Pilkington 12-09-2017 16:03

It seems that our representative in Westminster followed the instructions of his Lord and master and voted with the Liebour party...despite the fact that the large majority of those who voted in his constituency, voted to get out of the EU.
He, and the Liebour party want to create chaos and division...in a most undemocrstic way.

hilleluk 12-09-2017 16:33

Dennis Skinner was called a Scab by his fellow MP's, at least he is a man of principle, Corbyn has always been anti EU, right up to the point he could see a way of damaging the Conservatives and the UK. I never thought I would say well done Dennis Skinner

cashman 12-09-2017 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201286)
It seems that our representative in Westminster followed the instructions of his Lord and master and voted with the Liebour party...despite the fact that the large majority of those who voted in his constituency, voted to get out of the EU.
He, and the Liebour party want to create chaos and division...in a most undemocrstic way.

a complete sell out of the people of Hyndburn who by majority voted Leave, i'm sorry but our M.P.should do the same as far as i'm concerned.:(

Less 12-09-2017 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1201290)
a complete sell out of the people of Hyndburn who by majority voted Leave, i'm sorry but our M.P.should do the same as far as i'm concerned.:(

He is thicker than his skin therefore he will continue what he does as he does, after all he proved that we are ill-educated when he managed a larger majority at the last election.

Margaret Pilkington 12-09-2017 17:51

No Less...what he proved was....those who voted for him are the ones who are ill educated.
Some people vote without thought because they have been'brainwashed' (for want of a better word) to vote for anything travelling under a Labour banner.

DaveinGermany 12-09-2017 19:17

Not keen on this, DisMay really doesn't fill me with confidence especially when looking at her track record. I'm presuming this "Game changing" speech will go one of two ways

1. You've had your chance & blown it, we're out of here, we'll call you some time! (preferred option)

or

2. Of course we'll give you what you want & we'll even provide the pre mixed Vaseline & sand! (more likely :mad:)

Brexit news - EU negotiators postponed for a week ahead of May speech | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Margaret Pilkington 12-09-2017 20:07

I thought it was the EU negotiating team who had organised this postponement..rather than our PM.
to be honest they haven't been going great guns anyways.
Michel Barnier does not seem to understand the principle of negotiation.
From my point of view I was kind of hoping that TM would tell them to 'sit on it and swivel'
Now I will go back and read (properly0 the news item where I thought it was the Eu who had postpone the meeting

Margaret Pilkington 12-09-2017 20:17

I have been looking for the new article that I read earlier...but can't now find it...but I have looked at some other source Reuters & New Vision...and they both say that the UK and Brussels have jointly agreed to reconvene negotiations on the 25th of September to allow for more flexibility...and that reasoning behind this is due to the UK political calendar.
It does not say that the PM asked for the tlks to be postponed.
http://www.newvision.co.ug/new_visio...oned-september

I can't see a week making much difference to the inflexibility of the EU negotiating team...in fact I can't see a week make much difference to anything, it has been as slow as a Godshorse.

Margaret Pilkington 12-09-2017 20:20

Son...I am with you on the preferred option.

DaveinGermany 13-09-2017 12:08

Stupid is as stupid does! They just don't learn from past mistakes, the article below is just one of many relating to Junckers "Address to the union" & every one of them just confirms the road to hell the eu is taking. Judging by the lack of whining from the snowflake liberal leftie remainers one can only assume (hope) the truth is slowly dawning on the hard of thinking.

?One powerful president for WHOLE of EU? Fury at Juncker plot to merge major roles | World | News | Express.co.uk

Margaret Pilkington 13-09-2017 13:49

He tells us that we are going to be sorry we have left...looking at his proposals can't we get a move on?
It looks a lot like more of the same...so no lessons have been learned by these EU Mandarins...they still want what they say, to go...they still want to be dipping their bread in the gravy, they still want to ensnare more stupid schmucks into their anti democratic, power hungry, wasteful, money gobbling organisation.....and some of our young folk cannot see why this is bad...they want to be in it.
I suggest most humbly, that they leave. Go take up residence in one of these countries that are so keen to be enslaved(?enriched) by the EU.

But, please show me the emergency exit.

Less 13-09-2017 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201363)

But, please show me the emergency exit.

There are emergency exits, here, here and here, however you will have to wait a while because the immigrants are using them to come in and we haven't enough translators (at your expense) to tell them they are going the wrong way up some one way streets.
:rolleyes:

Perhaps we should put translators on the essential list of allowed immigration to sort this out?

Margaret Pilkington 13-09-2017 15:44

That's just not good enough Less...all this EU wrangling is doing me no good at all.
Every time I read about the snowflakes who feel we oldies have sold them down the river, my blood pressure goes up another ten mm of mercury.
Every time I hear the ludicrous prognostications of Guy Verhofstad, Michel Barnier, JCJunker, Donald Tusk et al...I am verging on apoplexy.

I should hibernate and get someone to wake me when it is all done and dusted.

Less 13-09-2017 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201375)

I should hibernate and get someone to wake me when it is all done and dusted.

You would only wake up in a bad mood and either growl that you need a few more years or else play heck because you weren't woken early enough.

I'm glad I'm not your alarm clock.

Margaret Pilkington 13-09-2017 16:10

Then we have our own home grown doom mangers....Ken Clarke, John Major(one of the worst prime ministers in my living memory)Micheal Heseltine, Tony Blair...all of them are spewing traitorous bile and trying to throw a spanner in the works to derail us from following our own democratically chosen path...they like democracy as long as the vote goes in the way that they want it to go.
When it doesn't they sling insults against those they were elected to serve(and paid very handsomely I might add).
Snakes all of them.
Now, I will just go and lie down until my equilibrium is restored....I might be quite a while.

Margaret Pilkington 13-09-2017 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1201376)
You would only wake up in a bad mood and either growl that you need a few more years or else play heck because you weren't woken early enough.

I'm glad I'm not your alarm clock.

Less....have you been in cahoots with my other Half?
You seem to know far too much about me!:)

cashman 13-09-2017 16:17

Yeh forget Ken Clark Margaret one of thatchers lost souls.:(

Margaret Pilkington 13-09-2017 16:20

No, Cashy....I remember only too well.
I did neither like nor trust him then and he has given me no cause to change my low opinion of him.

cashman 13-09-2017 16:25

Soz just found me glasses.:D

DaveinGermany 13-09-2017 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1201379)
Yeh forget Ken Clark Margaret one of thatchers lost souls.:(

In actual fact, the whining old windbag is sniffing the humble pie through the kitchen window it seems.

Ken Clarke brands Tony Blair's anti-Brexit plan hopeless and urges Remainers to give up | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Margaret Pilkington 13-09-2017 17:35

Son, that might be the image that he wants to portray, but I still do not trust him.
If he had not a stitch of clothing on I would worry he had a knife concealed about his person to stab someone in the back.

DaveinGermany 13-09-2017 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201386)
Son, that might be the image that he wants to portray, but I still do not trust him.

Aye Ma. suppose you're right, he is when all's said and done a slimy politico after all.

Margaret Pilkington 13-09-2017 17:54

He has always made my skin crawl.
When he tells remainders to give up....I wonder what he knows and what his motivation is....he has always always been a staunch Europhile...and leopards do not change their spots.

Exile on Spencer St 14-09-2017 07:01

C'mon, folks, it's not been all bad news.
Now everyone knows for certain that the only thing the EU will ever agree on is to put off negotiating, and Emperor Juncker has opened his mouth and reminded us why we were right to vote leave.

Margaret Pilkington 14-09-2017 10:03

Yes and he has said it so plainly that I do not get why the remainers are not with us, screaming to get out.
Are they seeeing something different?
Do they really want to become an inmate in this oppressive prison?

If they really like to live under a dictator...I am sure they will find Kim Jong Un will welcome them with open arms.

Maybe we could even encourage the likes of Len Mc Cluskey( who deludedly thnks he is in the same class as nelson Mandela and Gandhi..talk about delusions of grandeur), Jeremy Corbyn and John Mc Donnell to join them.

Less 14-09-2017 15:50

The remainers are not with us because they don't like being on the losing side, no hang on, if that was true they would have voted leave, no, that can't be true they wanted to remain but, as the past year has shown them, remaining would be stupid because the EU must be obeyed no matter how stupidly they react to a democratic vote. Therefore the remainers would like to leave but dont want to lose face by admitting they were wrong, no, that cant be right because the remainers were the educated amongst us and only the ill educated sheep would agree that their first vote was wrong, no hang on, if the illeducated sheep were right maybe they arent ill educated which would make us wrong an ill educated....
and so, their life is in turmoil, our lives are in turmoil but its not their fault.

Please try to make sense of the above, the knots I've tied myself in trying to explain are far beyond my comprehension.

Margaret Pilkington 14-09-2017 16:48

Oh Less, I laughed so much the tears ran down my legs (ok...TMI).

Well, all those stories that we would make nothing of ourselves if we voted to leave have turned out to be false and even some of those who were using these scare tactics are now admitting that they were wrong.
They were wrong because NO ONE could predict how things would pan out because we had never done anything on similar lines before.
Iceland has, they have not sunk without a trace.
We have to believe that we can prosper.
Confidence and self belief are very important in how we are seen by the rest of the world(which is why every politician should get behind the government...a United front is essential to beat those bustards in the EU).

Less 14-09-2017 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201439)
Oh Less, I laughed so much the tears ran down my legs (ok...TMI).

Well, all those stories that we would make nothing of ourselves if we voted to leave have turned out to be false and even some of those who were using these scare tactics are now admitting that they were wrong.
They were wrong because NO ONE could predict how things would pan out because we had never done anything on similar lines before.
Iceland has, they have not sunk without a trace.
We have to believe that we can prosper.
Confidence and self belief are very important in how we are seen by the rest of the world(which is why every politician should get behind the government...a United front is essential to beat those bustards in the EU).

1/ Not too much information if we move this to the over 18 section.
2/ Scare tactics are used to shift proper thinking people into doubt by panic, tactics used by the weak, lying, in it for themselves brigade.
3/The only time we as a Country had doubt's was just after Dunkirk when we were left alone against the Nazis.
4/ Wake up people the Nazis are back, whom do you think are running the EU?

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-09-2017 07:44

I was having a discussion with some Remoaners and I was asked why I wanted to leave. As part of that conversation I said "We don't want to stop trading with them we just want stop them trying to rule us.",
One of them responded with a question to which I could not think of a decent answer,
"Can you think of an example of them trying to rule us?"

The only thing I could think of was the higher levels of in work benefits in the UK than there are in other EU countries but it was a bit feeble.

monkey hanger 15-09-2017 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201469)
I was having a discussion with some Remoaners and I was asked why I wanted to leave. As part of that conversation I said "We don't want to stop trading with them we just want stop them trying to rule us.",
One of them responded with a question to which I could not think of a decent answer,

The only thing I could think of was the higher levels of in work benefits in the UK than there are in other EU countries but it was a bit feeble.

try agriculture, fisheries loss of commonwealth markets, death of heavy industry, car, wagon bus manufacture. even our new trains come from europe. laws on everything, court of human rights. all happened since joining the common market and then the EU. many more things that you actually forget about as so much rubbish has come out of europe. what have we got out of it a horrible drink called cheap wine and garlic.

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-09-2017 08:42

I don't see any of those things happening as a result of EU rules as most are down to it being easier to access external markets where working conditions are much lower than our own.

When you say 'Laws on Everything', I was asked about specific things, none of which I could think of, rather than just a sweeping statement without any examples.

Margaret Pilkington 15-09-2017 10:04

They have imposed a raft of restrictions...the working time directive is one of them.
They have taken away borders ...this reduces a country's ability to maintain an adequate level of security(and while we are not part of the Schengen zone it still has an impact)
People from the EU have moved here and taken jobs at lower pay..This then depresses the job market and wages for the people who were born here.
There is the impact of this freedom of movement on housing and other infrastructure.
They claim benefits for children who do not even live here...they send this monies back to the home country which benefits their economy rather than ours.
( you may tell me that this not their fault...that they are doing nothing illegal...and you are right...but in the country that the money is going to, it will buy more than it does here,again, not their fault)

They have told us that we cannot sell certain types of apple, bent banana's, curved cucumbers. This might sound like a silly thing to bring up, but it does affect all of us

The common agriculture and fisheries policies did have an impact on these areas...they told fishermen that certain types of catch were unacceptable which meant that fish already netted could not be sold...even though from a taste and consumer point of view, were acceptable...all that rich protein that could feed us, was wasted.
They restrict who we can trade with...this is to protect their markets.
And while we did not join the single currency(thank the Lord) they want full financial control...and yet they have not passed an audit of THEIR finances for more than two decades.
It is not always about what they HAVE done, but more about what their intentions are.
They tell us which light bulbs we can use, they are right now working on banning higher powered vacuum cleaners. This will not limit the use of power, it will just mean it takes longer to hoover up the dust.

The creeping politicisation, the fact that what was signed as a trading agreement morphed into something restrictive and controlling.
All this without any of the electorate being given a say in the matter.
I do not want legislation to come from Brussels, formulated by people who do not have the UK's interests at heart, who are unaccountable and whom we cannot remove.

I could go on...I am not sure if these reasons are specific enough to satisfy your questioners.
Personally I would be asking them, in the light of how the EU mandarins have acted and the way they have spoken about us as a sovereign nation, why on earth do they want to stay.
Though I admit that their answers might just have fallen into my deaf ear.

If by some means we DO actually get out. I have a bottle of Vintage Fizz (Dom Perignon) that will be cracked open to celebrate.

Margaret Pilkington 15-09-2017 10:04

The fact that it is undemocratic(yes we do vote for MEP's, but their influence is that of a gnat bit on the hide of an elephant...not one single vote has gone in favour of the U K's favour in all the years we have been a member) unyielding, wasteful money gobbling should be reason enough.

Does it show that I really HATE the EU?

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-09-2017 10:27

I wouldn't guess from your remarks that you had a view either way:)

It was a reply to his specific question that had me scratching round for a convincing answer. In my view the idea of a common market is a wonderful thing but the problem is, give politicians a wonderful thing and they will gift wrap it in so much pretty red tape that the whole thing becomes unworkable. We deal with the social care sector a lot and the amount of BS and hurdles they try to baffle us with is incredible.

Exile on Spencer St 15-09-2017 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201473)
When you say 'Laws on Everything', I was asked about specific things, none of which I could think of, rather than just a sweeping statement without any examples.

The question of law is fundamental to why I voted to leave and, though I'm not a lawyer (I do have my standards) the simplest way I've had it explained to me is as follows.
In Great Britain, we have always had "common law". This has been built up over a thousand+ years of a relatively homogenous society, albeit one that hasn't been free of conflict. It derives from kings, judges, and eventually juries considering individual cases, disputes between real people based on the way real people behave, using 'common sense' which then, over time, come to be used as precedents to all cases.
Across much of Europe, they have codified laws (e.g. Napoleonic code) whereby laws are written down by rulers, in the abstract, and are based on how people 'should' behave. They are then applied, regardless of individual circumstances.

I've heard said that the difference between Britain and, for example, Germany is that, in Britain, we can do anything we want unless it is expressly against the law. In Germany, you cannot do anything that is not permitted by the law. Unless the state expressly allows it as your right, it's against the law.
Probably a simplified example but, if basically true, that's a subtle but significant difference in the approach to law and citizens' freedoms.

Margaret Pilkington 15-09-2017 11:18

So glad that my bias did not come across too strongly.
My view of the politicians in the EU is that they are bigger charlatans than our lot...greedy, self serving, duplcitous bustards.
The EU was a social experiment that was never going to work as a political entity.
The single currency has been disastrous for the nations which rely on tourism for their finances. Even the man who formulated the idea of the single currency has come to that conclusion. How can a Euro in Germany be worth the same as one in Greece. The standard of living in those two countries could not be more different.
The EU has never had a level playing field...and as I said not one single thing that we voted on has gone in our favour( I think it is something to do with the number of votes each country is allowed goes on the population...or something like that)
The EU has created such divisions of wealth....if you had gone out to try and do the same thing you could not have made a better job of it

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-09-2017 14:46

I agree with much of what is being said here but we are still looking at generalities instead of any specific examples. The common answer given by pro EU fanatics is that we have the power of veto and if we don't like a ruling, we can just veto it. I am sure our EU chums would have been our bestest friends ever if we had vetoed everything we didn''t agree with so our so called representatives just went with the flow.

Greece were fine on their own before joining the EU, their country was a tourist destination of worth, a bit basic in parts but a great place to visit and mix with the locals. Once the EU got a say in their affairs, it was all about austerity and it made the Greeks very angry.

I have friends who live in Southern Italy and the crime rate has gone through the roof in the past few years and the refugees are the main cause of problems. They say for every boat load of desperate refugees who are rescued in a blaze of humanitarian glory, there are 2 which land quietly at night and their cargoes slip quietly ashore unnoticed. It is things like this which will either undermine the whole of the EU or result in civil war.

Margaret Pilkington 15-09-2017 17:52

The problem with the Greeks was that avoiding taxes was a national sport and people could retire with a pension from 55...but if when the finances went south, the EU had taken them out of the single currency, they would have been able to revert to the Drachma and devalue their currency.
This would have had tourists flocking in...and it would have been easier to get the finances back on track.
But No, the EU parachuted a technocrat government in and imposed punitive austerity measures.
This creates resentment and animosity.

I think I gave you a few specific reasons why the EU is not good for us.
Common Agricultural policy, the fishery issues, the working time directive etc.
The free movement of EU nationals was also another specific reason, jobs, houses, benefits, these are all specific.

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-09-2017 18:20

I didn't really ask for reasons why the EU isn't good for us, I am well aware of those which is why I am happy to make my declaration as a leaver.

I always try to be objective when I read arguments both for and against leaving but I see statements from both side which don't help their individual causes.

I hear the romoaners spouting about how it is all going to end in a mess but they only rely on the experts who dragged us into a banking crisis which they didn't see coming, and all those predicters who got the result of the referendum, general election and the predicted price of cod heads at Grimsby very wrong indeed.

The leave group are not totally without criticism as some of their arguments make me cringe. All this shouting about Johnny foreigner coming over here and stealing our jobs, women and ferrets does not help the cause one bit.

The original remoaners make up most of the government so we need to be so careful with our analysis of what they promise us because the old tale of the wolf in sheep's clothing should never be far from our thoughts.

Margaret Pilkington 15-09-2017 19:13

As you so rightly point out those 'experts' who predicted that everything would fall apart were wrong.
These highly educated people failed to see the financial crisis coming and we have had interest rates at a pitiable level for a decade.
Those who saved for their retirement have actually lost money.(and I know this is nothing to do with the EU...but it has everything to do with these self proclaimed experts)

I just feel that we were bamboozled (in respect of the EU)by the politicians over the years.
They led us into what was the EEC, and this became something we did NOT sign up to...and I don't know about you, but I hate to feel duped.
There was nothing at all we could do about it because we were never consulted.
I think that this was a calculated thing, as I am sure the politicians knew that many of us were uncomfortable with this state of affairs.
The EU wanted to become the Federal state of Europe...now,I do not want to be part of that.
I want our laws to be made in Parliament by people who have been democratically elected...and who can be accountable and removed by democratic process if they do not fulfil their obligations.

As for the Johnny Foreigner angle...this country has always extended a welcome, but when this means that the jobs, the wages are affected, then the welcome becomes a bit thin.

cashman 15-09-2017 19:33

As far as i'm concerned immigrants have always been welcome, albeit, providing they are prepared to integrate and live by the law of the land. i dont think thats unreasonable by any means.

DaveinGermany 15-09-2017 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201469)

The enforcement of renewables - Obesity is a disability? - Weights & measures - Fisheries & agriculture policies to name a few, spend a bit of time "Goggling" for more precise examples, but this just gives you somewhere to look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201510)
The common answer given by pro EU fanatics is that we have the power of veto and if we don't like a ruling, we can just veto it. .

Ah the veto, that old chestnut! How often have countries opposed something put forward by the numpties, only to be ignored, overruled or simply disregarded? Migrant quotas objections from the Visegrad 4 - overruled or the Dutch not agreeing to the Ukraine being allowed visa free travel - disregarded then going back a while Ireland & Denmark being told to "Vote again" because the right outcome wasn't achieved.

DaveinGermany 15-09-2017 21:01

Oh I forgot about gender equality too, not the jobs bit or equal pay, but that the Ladies should be chucked in with the "Boy racers", well fairs fair & all that!

EU rules on gender-neutral pricing in insurance industry enter into force - European Commission

Margaret Pilkington 15-09-2017 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1201532)
The enforcement of renewables - Obesity is a disability? - Weights & measures - Fisheries & agriculture policies to name a few, spend a bit of time "Goggling" for more precise examples, but this just gives you somewhere to look.

Ah the veto, that old chestnut! How often have countries opposed something put forward by the numpties, only to be ignored, overruled or simply disregarded? Migrant quotas objections from the Visegrad 4 - overruled or the Dutch not agreeing to the Ukraine being allowed visa free travel - disregarded then going back a while Ireland & Denmark being told to "Vote again" because the right outcome wasn't achieved.

Ah, yes I had quite forgotten about that one.I plead old timers disease.
One of the bullying tactics that they are so very good at.

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-09-2017 21:15

I have Googled quite a lot of stuff but articles on discrimination have been solely about EU citizens being discriminated against in the UK.

I have, in the back of my mind, that Obesity is a Disability was a home grown thing dreamt up by our own NHS think tank but I may be wrong. I t isn't easy separating fact from fiction sometimes.

DaveinGermany 15-09-2017 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201539)
articles on discrimination have been solely about EU citizens being discriminated against in the UK.

Not sure I follow your meaning here in relation to discrimination MeP & I can certainly agree with you about separating fact from fiction.

Morecambe Ex Pat 16-09-2017 06:39

Dave, I was looking for examples of discrimination against UK workers in the UK in favour of foreign nationals. All I found were instances of workers being required who had to be fluent in certain languages. For some jobs, like interpreters, I would say it is pretty essential. Then I noticed that the source of the article was UKIP and so took it with a pinch of salt as it could well be the ranting of some activist.

I was asked for examples of how specific EU laws directly rule an aspect of our lives in the UK. The open border policy is the obvious one but s soon as I have mentioned that to a remoaner, they have started ranting about me being racist and how the fruit growers rely on seasonal workers from abroad for their successful harvest. This picking used to be carried out mostly by students but nowadays it seems that many students either struggle getting out of bed in the summer or are off on kangaroo trekking holidays funded by the bank of mum and dad.

Neil 16-09-2017 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201476)
They have imposed a raft of restrictions...the working time directive is one of them......

Why don't you like the working time directive?

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 08:16

Neil read it again. Did I say that I did not agree with the WTD?
I was pointing out the specifics that had affected lives...directives from the EU.

It certainly affected the lives of those who use the NHS.

When completing duty rosters, the WTD had to be considered.
I (myself)certainly broke the rules of the WTD on a number of occasions...this was in order to provide safer care for patients.
Now, you are going to come back at me with something like...'how could care be safer if you had exceeded your working hours?'...I will tell you that I know my capabilities and would not have done it if I had felt that there was risk to either myself or my patients or other staff I was supervising.

It did create havoc though with Medical cover(doctors)... it took a while until resources were freed up to cover the deficiencies(on a couple of occasions I remember consultants coming in to cover the work of junior doctors).

Doctors working less hours also impacted on their skills....this was something that they, themselves brought up.

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201547)

The open border policy is the obvious one but s soon as I have mentioned that to a remoaner, they have started ranting about me being racist and how the fruit growers rely on seasonal workers from abroad for their successful harvest. This picking used to be carried out mostly by students but nowadays it seems that many students either struggle getting out of bed in the summer or are off on kangaroo trekking holidays funded by the bank of mum and dad.

You will find that those who have a weak argument against a point of view will resort to name calling...virtue signalling, whatever you want to call it.
Call someone'racist' or 'homophobic' or 'islamophobic' shuts down any meaningful discussion very quickly and lets the one who is doing the name calling off the hook...it is calculated to do just that.

The history of the school holidays in September, was so that everyone could help out with harvesting.
Whole families would head out of their city homes into the country to fruit pick.
It was a way of them getting a paid holiday(jobs did not come with holiday pay) and it was a time for families to have social time together...yes, they worked hard, but they also had fun too.

Londoners used to head off to Kent to farms where they got lots of fresh air good wholesome food and they all enjoyed themselves.

In later years it was students who did a lot of this work.

We do need some immigration, but not in the volumes that was encouraged by TB's Labour government.
That level was on a par with social engineering and it was done with no real thought about long term impact or consequences...other than securing a firm Labour voting base...that is unless you subscribe to the Coudenhove-Kalergi plan.

Morecambe Ex Pat 16-09-2017 09:14

I have nothing against immigration as a mix of cultures is a thing to be encouraged. I do however remember the 'ghettos' in certain parts of Accrington where workers in the cotton mills and associated industries were housed in cheap houses and formed a community all of its own.

Migrants integrating into the locality is a wonderful thing but large numbers all at once create problems and this is being discovered in some parts of the country but is being ignored by people in power. Even good old Poland have realised that unlimited numbers of migrants are not sustainable in their economy but there are some people who think we should allow anybody and everybody into our country.

Brits are just as bad for forming communities though as my experiences in Spain would show. Closed, gated communities where the residents had built a small bit of Britain for themselves. No wonder they were despised by the locals, many of them didn't speak a word of Spanish yet were very vocal in calling Spain their home.

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 09:20

Don't know how you feel about the "Express" (tendency to the right mostly) MeP, but here's an article from 2016.

British workers can be discriminated against, EU rules | UK | News | Express.co.uk

I personally don't see how any company or employer can specify a language skill unless they are for language education, interpretation or dealing with foreign customers in their own tongue. Living & working in UK the language is & should be English no ifs or buts! I chose to live in Germany & guess what? No-one is bending over backwards for me to have my own mother tongue implemented, the attitude is, you chose to be here, speak & write our language, you don't want to, pack up & ship out!

And as to the shrieks of faux outrage for you being a racist because you want our country to have a strong immigration policy, well ain't that just typical of your liberal lefty snowflake idiots! The cry of racist is the SOP of the left, they've no concise or relevant argument so to shut down opposition & hide their feeble ignorance they pull the Ace in the pack & scream racist! Weak, feeble, & ineffective.

Next time one of these useful idiots goes on about the need for fruit pickers or scrubbers, challenge them about "Would they do the hours demanded for the pay they'd receive" & if they're truly honest with their answer it'd be a big fat "No", so just who is the discriminating racist bigot now?

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 09:26

I have friends who still work in the NHS and one of them who is a health visitor was abused and threatened by a muslim youth when she went to visit one of her clients( a woman from his own community )...she was told that this was an 'Asian' area and that she was not welcome.

I have looked after women who have lived in this country fo two and three decades who do not speak English.

Yes, you are right about Brits abroad too. I visited Spain many times in the eighties, but always tried to learn a bit of the language and would try to ask for things in Spanish when I shopped....being of mediterranean colouring and looks, meant that frequently they tried to engage me in conversations which I could understand, but could not think fast enough to answer...and had to confess(Soy Inglese) to being English.

I suppose it is all down to comfort zones...and I would guess that many who have taken up residence in these communities are the older generations who just want the sun on their bones....and if they could get that here they would never have left.

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201547)
The open border policy is the obvious one but s soon as I have mentioned that to a remoaner, they have started ranting about me being racist

Well obviously you're not the only nasty Wwwhhaycist! These people must be verging on Uber-Waycist then!

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/key...oyment-welfare

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 11:13

That is a very interesting site....and even more interesting if you look at other pages within the site.

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201565)
That is a very interesting site....and even more interesting if you look at other pages within the site.

In the words of Sybil Faulty "Oh I Know!" :) And just another random chuck it on the table for contemplation article ...

Automated car washes pushed out by gangs - Motors.co.uk

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 11:46

Here you go MeP, show your remoaner snowflakes these little snippets.

£15-an-hour power plant job criticised - as it favours someone speaking Portuguese - Gazette Live

Unions question 'one in ten workers must speak English' rule at major Wilton power plant - Gazette Live

Morecambe Ex Pat 16-09-2017 15:50

Members of the remain camp just don't seem to realise that most of the migrants coming to this country are used to living conditions far below those in the UK. Workers are going to come here and feel well off sharing a terraced house with 10 others because back 'home', slums are the only option for the low paid workers. They can send money home because they are used to living frugle lives and feel well off when they have a few quid in their pockets and have money to buy basic food. They are used to working long hours because unlike here in the UK, if they don't work they get paid very little if anything at all. Our system is the the catalyst which is fuelling this great divide because while the migrants coming here are better off here than at home, our own unemployed can sit on their arses and watch Jeremy Kyle to their hearts content because apparently, the world owes them a living.

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201601)
Our system is the the catalyst which is fuelling this great divide because while the migrants coming here are better off here than at home, our own unemployed can sit on their arses and watch Jeremy Kyle to their hearts content because apparently, the world owes them a living.

Now ain't that the truth! Unfortunately no politico will touch the issue with a barge pole as it would be political suicide, the tories started making cuts & got severely spanked for their efforts by the public & opposition parties.

Somewhere along the line the public will have to face realities there's never ever something for nothing & as far as I'm concerned if you've not put in you should never get anything out, social support should be merely that, a temporary measure until folks get back on an even keel & not seen as a lifestyle choice as seems to be the case now.

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1201609)

Somewhere along the line the public will have to face realities there's never ever something for nothing & as far as I'm concerned if you've not put in you should never get anything out, social support should be merely that, a temporary measure until folks get back on an even keel & not seen as a lifestyle choice as seems to be the case now.

I have been saying this for as long as I have been on here...13 years next month.
A good housekeeper knows that they can only have what can be paid for...if you cannot pay for it then you cannot have it ...simple as.
Getting something on credit is storing up problems for the future...you might think that when dear old aunt Alice dies she will leave you her nest egg...only to find that she has left it all to the cats home...and by then your debt has spiralled.

Benefits should be a hand up, not a hand out. I begrudge paying my taxes to support the workshy.
Having got off my backside for all of my working life(sometimes getting up at stupid o clock to get to work...and walking a goodly part of the way because the buses hadn't started running) I do not see why others cannot do the same.

You might not have the job you want, but any job is better than no job...because it is always easier to find a job when you are in a job.

DaveinGermany 17-09-2017 14:48

Don't know if anyone is interested but this particular petition "Leave the eu immediately" was highlighted in the comments section of an article I've just read, for those of you that are, knock yourselves out folks.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200165

In the time its taken to write this there's been about 30+ signing up! Below is the article.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...-EU-withdrawal

cashman 17-09-2017 14:54

Just clicked me e.mail signed.

Margaret Pilkington 17-09-2017 15:02

Me too.

Margaret Pilkington 17-09-2017 15:09

Hyndburn has only three signatures so far.that is Cashy, me and someone else.
We need more!

DaveinGermany 17-09-2017 15:24

Give it time Ma & I'm pretty sure there will be a few more, the overall number has gone up already by 100+ since I put it on site. :)

hilleluk 17-09-2017 15:51

Pleasure to sign this one...done

hilleluk 17-09-2017 15:52

2,761 names

cashman 17-09-2017 15:58

Theres 2826 now.

Less 17-09-2017 16:03

+1

Margaret Pilkington 17-09-2017 16:17

I am just fed up of all the fannying about.
I want out as of yesterday...and really that would not be soon enough.

cashman 17-09-2017 16:31

Paris has just signed also.

Margaret Pilkington 17-09-2017 16:33

Good-oh.

Less 17-09-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201665)
I am just fed up of all the fannying about.
I want out as of yesterday...and really that would not be soon enough.

If/when it happens what will we have left to talk about?

What did people complain about before the EU I've forgotten!

Margaret Pilkington 17-09-2017 16:38

5 of us in Hyndburn now.0.01%

Margaret Pilkington 17-09-2017 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1201672)
If/when it happens what will we have left to talk about?

What did people complain about before the EU I've forgotten!

We will talk about the celebrations we are going to have, the fireworks we might light, the weather(eh, hasn't it rained more since we left the EU)...I am sure there will be scaremongering politicians who will find further topics for us to chew over.

monkey hanger 17-09-2017 16:42

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1201560]I have friends who still work in the NHS and one of them who is a health visitor was abused and threatened by a muslim youth when she went to visit one of her clients( a woman from his own community )...she was told that this was an 'Asian' area and that she was not welcome.

but i suppose for the lefties he was telling the truth, but for us he was being racist. there are a couple of areas in keighley that are mainly asian areas but i don,t say i live in a white area because i do not live there.

DaveinGermany 17-09-2017 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1201675)
there are a couple of areas in keighley that are mainly asian areas

I've heard that from friends of ours who live over Silsden way, their eldest daughter works at the "Original factory shop" just down the road from "Shans" the big PakIndi supermarket.

Less 17-09-2017 18:19

There is a large area of England that is mainly Asian, it is called Lancashire!

DaveinGermany 17-09-2017 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1201683)
There is a large area of England that is mainly Asian, it is called Lancashire!

Quite! We tend to see the contrast more readily as we don't live through it daily but notice more profondly the changes from year to year when we come home to the UK.

MargaretR 17-09-2017 20:01

I've signed

Margaret Pilkington 17-09-2017 20:02

good stuff Margaret.
Hope you are OK...think about you often.

MargaretR 17-09-2017 20:02

signed - now 3,776

Margaret Pilkington 18-09-2017 10:41

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200165

This petition has just topped 5000.
I posted the link again just in case anyone out there still needs need to sign it.

KiTChener 18-09-2017 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201656)
Hyndburn has only three signatures so far.that is Cashy, me and someone else.
We need more!

Must be me, just done it!

Margaret Pilkington 18-09-2017 13:36

Heck there are 14 of us now in Hyndburn...that is 0.02% of the voting population.
I am going to do an 'Oliver' and say 'Please Sir can i have some more'.

Exile on Spencer St 18-09-2017 18:10

Mrs.Exile just signed; over 7,200 now.

hilleluk 19-09-2017 16:16

I read the SNPeeeeee and the Welsh Governments, are having a meeting today to set out there Brexit bill amendments, more powers returned to Scotland, they can't even deal with the one's they already have. Oh! should have put Assembly, because that is legal term for it, Alec Salmond said it was a Government, so the SNPeeeee supporters believe it