Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2009, 23:00   #151
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Area Management Calendars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The mind boggles at how a thread about a poxy calendar can generate so much interest. As I've said before on accyweb I'm just grateful politics was never my thing, don't think I could cope with all the petty arguing.
don't regard it as petty arguing, just regard it as if a balloon gets over inflated, its my task in life to puncture it.
Old 24-12-2009, 23:02   #152
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't regard it as petty arguing, just regard it as if a balloon gets over inflated, its my task in life to puncture it.
Note no answer to the question though cashman. Always thought you were a straight talker.
Old 24-12-2009, 23:16   #153
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Note no answer to the question though cashman. Always thought you were a straight talker.
the straight answer dear boy is as you admit it was a waste of peoples money printing the thing, simple as. but rather than just blame those who wasted it, you choose to share the blame with folk who wanted nothing to do with it, which pleases me no end, cos anyone with a grain of sense can see fer themselves how YOU people operate,n whats more amazing is yer to numb to see it. is that straight enough?
Old 24-12-2009, 23:54   #154
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the straight answer dear boy is as you admit it was a waste of peoples money printing the thing, simple as. but rather than just blame those who wasted it, you choose to share the blame with folk who wanted nothing to do with it, which pleases me no end, cos anyone with a grain of sense can see fer themselves how YOU people operate,n whats more amazing is yer to numb to see it. is that straight enough?
I am criticising both sides. Tells a lot when you still cannot answer the question given. Blind faith. Suppose it is Christmas.
Old 24-12-2009, 23:56   #155
Give, give, give member

I think some politicans become so removed from the reality of many people's daily lives, that they regard revenue raised from taxes as being something that grows on trees. As was notably examplified by the shameful abuses seen in the expeses scandal nationally, and locally when some councillors chose to ignore independently guided expense levels, and decided to award themselves grossly inflated increases.

It isn't.

Every penny people pay in tax, in this case council tax, is hard earned, and this frittering away on a totally unncessary calendar, under the guise of letting people know how to contact their councillors, is just another example of the high and might aloofness of some of our elected representatives.

My mum, amongst countless others, lives in Ossy.

Her council tax is well over a thousand pounds.

The cost of this calendar was apparently £533.00.

So in real terms this means a still working pensioner, gets up at stupid o'clock four mornings a week, rolls by hand over four hundred teacakes by eight o'clock, in order to be able to pay her council tax.

In theory half her yearly payements are being used on the piece of trash, delivered to some residents, but not all.

Is it worth all my mum's efforts, or anyone else's, working hard and struggling to pay the ever increasing council tax bills?

No, it damn well isn't.

Perhaps some of the high and mighty might have a different view, when they're eventually knocked off their perches, in their gilded cages.

Last edited by garinda; 25-12-2009 at 00:00.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 00:14   #156
God Member

this week I got a card from the local MP Simon Hughes..not my best mate but I've known him for years..nice big card but what is the use of all this?..I don't reckon Mr Hughes paid for the card and postage...seems to me it's just a reminder that these people are MP's or from any local council and is a shot of political propaganda.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 00:27   #157
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
this week I got a card from the local MP Simon Hughes..not my best mate but I've known him for years..nice big card but what is the use of all this?..I don't reckon Mr Hughes paid for the card and postage...seems to me it's just a reminder that these people are MP's or from any local council and is a shot of political propaganda.
Yeah nice bloke.

Won the dirtiest by election in living memory, used disgraceful homophobic attacts against the Labour candidate Peter Thatchell, to secure his victory...then came out as gay himself many years later.

A highly principled politican, one of many we are lucky enough to have.

Old 25-12-2009, 01:57   #158
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yeah nice bloke.

Won the dirtiest by election in living memory, used disgraceful homophobic attacts against the Labour candidate Peter Thatchell, to secure his victory...then came out as gay himself many years later.

A highly principled politican, one of many we are lucky enough to have.

I know Peter as much as he shopped down East Street Market..I would describe him as a political animal ..and I have no doubt he would have been sending out Christmas cards at the tax payers cost on behalf of Labour if he had won that election.
Simon Hughes is not best loved in these parts but he is the option to keep the Tories out.. and that is the real target..merry xmas.

Last edited by Mancie; 25-12-2009 at 01:59.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:36   #159
Super Moderator

From a local calendar in Ossy to political sheenanigans in East London in 158 posts. I love Accyweb! Merry Christmas.
Old 25-12-2009, 09:44   #160
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
From a local calendar in Ossy to political sheenanigans in East London in 158 posts. I love Accyweb! Merry Christmas.
Bermondsey's actually sarf Lahndan, not in the east, but I take your point about the interesting course some threads take.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Old 25-12-2009, 09:53   #161
Resting in Peace

Shows how far Jones is up himself when he has to post things twice to get this point over and just how sad is it when people spend Christmas Eve arguing about a bloody calendar
Old 25-12-2009, 09:56   #162
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Merry Christmas
Old 25-12-2009, 09:59   #163
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The mind boggles at how a thread about a poxy calendar can generate so much interest.
It is quiet on here at the moment
Old 25-12-2009, 09:59   #164
Senior Member+

Kim is enjoying cooking and Alana I asleep after opening her presents from 8am.

With a gap and listening to the radio rather than watching the box Ive a moment to say as a passionate Hyndburnite,

I didn't post twice deliberatly John, twas accident.

And on that note: a very Merry Christmas to all. Wish you all well.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 10:00   #165
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
....just how sad is it when people spend Christmas Eve arguing about a bloody calendar
As opposed to actually doing it on Christmas day?

It was simply a total waste of people's hard earned money, and if it had been done by people's political opponents, even the most blinkered party faithful would agree.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..