Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2009, 11:24   #181
God Member

Re: Area Management Calendars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
What an absolutle and utter load of bull. Face it, Andrew, it's a costly exercise in self-indulgence by a bunch of people who should be looking to cut costs to the hard-pressed local taxpayer rather than increase them and no amounts of convoluted arguments about flushing things down toilets will change that.
I agree it's a waste of money. Interesting that you do not challenge the argument though - simply state it is an 'absolute and utter load of bull.' Do you disagree that something can be more or less valuable than the cost and therefore more or less wasteful or what?
Old 26-12-2009, 11:29   #182
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I agree it's a waste of money. Interesting that you do not challenge the argument though - simply state it is an 'absolute and utter load of bull.' Do you disagree that something can be more or less valuable than the cost and therefore more or less wasteful or what?
It's a waste of time fullstop, because people don't need a calendar to get the contact details of their local councillor - they can get it from plenty of other sources, as you've been told time and time again on this thread.

Is this a Tory trait - to keep defending the indefensible with increasingly ridiculous arguments?
Old 26-12-2009, 11:39   #183
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's a waste of time fullstop, because people don't need a calendar to get the contact details of their local councillor - they can get it from plenty of other sources, as you've been told time and time again on this thread.

Is this a Tory trait - to keep defending the indefensible with increasingly ridiculous arguments?
Not defending the indefensible. Have said over and over that it is a total waste of money. Am criticising both sides - have put down simple questions and arguments as to why both sides are in the wrong. Only opposition to those questions have not been attempts to answer but simply to ignore them and just agree with the criticism of the Tories.
Old 26-12-2009, 12:15   #184
God Member

OK...

It's always handy to have contact details of Councillors to hand and it makes sense that these are provided to you at the beginning of the year in a form that you can make use of even if you don't intend on making use of the contact details, so that it isn't a waste as such. You never know when you might need to contact one of these people, because you never know 100% what you are going to have to deal with in the future.

The fact that labour councillors didn't allow their contact details to be included is petty and to be honest, surely a little bit stupid? Not only have they made it impossible for people to see their contact details alongside the opposition and decreased the value of the calender they're claiming is a waste of money in the first place, but they've also left people wondering where their Labour party is... why aren't they visible in their area?

Maybe Labour just want to shoot itself in the foot all the time?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 13:09   #185
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Agree it's a waste. Have said that for some time cashy. You're choosing to ignore the below though which helps to illustrate my point. It's a waste of money but at least to some people it will be valuable. It's less valuable or useful to those people because it lacks some of the councillors contact details.
not to me it dont,it merely helps to illustrate how baised ya are as well as stupid,
Old 26-12-2009, 13:21   #186
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not to me it dont,it merely helps to illustrate how baised ya are as well as stupid,
I'm 'biased and stupid' for criticising both sides. You on the other hand refuse to even engage in the argument and answer the question.
Old 26-12-2009, 13:33   #187
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You can't call a member of our moderation team stupid.

Go on Andrew ban him
Old 26-12-2009, 14:17   #188
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You can't call a member of our moderation team stupid.

Go on Andrew ban him
i just did. when you start adding to something that is inherantly wrong, like wasting public money, i cannot call it owt else.
Old 26-12-2009, 14:22   #189
God Member

Quote:
i just did. when you start adding to something that is inherantly wrong, like wasting public money, i cannot call it owt else.
Labour could have taken the opportunity to provide the details on this calender. Instead, they waste money on christmas cards with details and calenders on them that will be mostly thrown away come new year because they are only fitting for the christmas period.

Now it's lovely to send out a christmas message, but if we are going to start talking about what politicians should and shouldn't spend money on, I'd pick a yearlong useful calender with the contact details of ALL councillors on it over a christmas card any day.

But what do I know, I've not received anything this year off any councillors
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 14:29   #190
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Labour could have taken the opportunity to provide the details on this calender. Instead, they waste money on christmas cards with details and calenders on them that will be mostly thrown away come new year because they are only fitting for the christmas period.

Now it's lovely to send out a christmas message, but if we are going to start talking about what politicians should and shouldn't spend money on, I'd pick a yearlong useful calender with the contact details of ALL councillors on it over a christmas card any day.

thats true blaze,what do ya know? the money fer the xmas cards were paid fer by the labour councillors own pockets,NOT public money,stick to law yer on safer ground.
Old 26-12-2009, 17:11   #191
Super Moderator

Quote:
Instead, they waste money on christmas cards with details and calenders on them that will be mostly thrown away come new year because they are only fitting for the christmas period.
That's it, Blazey, go jumping in with both feet on a subject you know sod all about and get it totally WRONG!

You and Andrew make a great pair...seen nowt, done nowt, know nowt.
Old 26-12-2009, 20:21   #192

Quote:
I don't agree with the council sending out calendars. I however think it's petty of Labour councillors to ask for their details to be removed. The thing is already being produced and it seems a waste to retract councillors names from it. If you oppose it that's fine, shout it from the rooftops, but you may as well be on it if it's going out, for residents to see who all their councillors are and contact details rather than seeing some of their members because of political squabbling at Christmas.
Why did the labour councillors request their details to be removed?Would it be too much work for them to have people know who they are so that people can contact them?Just curious.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 20:56   #193
Senior Member+

Because it does not improve the Borough and involves spending some one else's money to do it.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 21:49   #194

Quote:

I have not received anything either this year from any councillors.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 22:16   #195
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
I have not received anything either this year from any councillors.
Well, do you actually want a calendar up on your wall with a picture of half a dozen distinctly ordinary middle-aged people posing rather woodenly in front of a supermarket? Wouldn't you rather have a calendar with pictures of tropical sunsets or hunks of the month or something? If you want the contact numbers of any local councillors, you can get 'em easily enough on the HBC website or from other sources.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..