Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 18:28   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I can find lots of sites on the internet which rebut all the things you've posted here, but I don't know how to post them myself, if anyone's interested enough I'm sure they'll look.
But I do agree that smoking is not a habit to be admired, and I know it's not healthy, my issue is to do with the powers that be trying to stop us from doing something legal via legislation which if we did stop would be detrimental to the economy, and also as an adult being told what to do by people with a holier than thou attitude to life who for some reason think they hold the upper ground in life.
I'm beginning to think you ain't no fun, why do folk such as yourself join a site just to be, and spread your own form of misery?

Please prove me wrong, don't jump straight back on this post telling me how insulted you are.

There is a place called anything goes, start a thread in there to prove you have some humour in you.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2012, 18:30   #17
JFT96

Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

This is a pointless argument Anne, I am aware there are many reports claiming Passive Smoking does not exist, just as there are reports claiming we did not land on the moon, the World Trade Centre was a inside job, JFK etc etc.
I don't believe that I am being holier than thou, I have the right not to breath in second hand smoke, seeing one fifth of the UK adult population are smokers, then you are in a minority. There are lots of discussions on here regarding our pandering down to foreign minorities and how wrong it is, but when it comes to smokers, the consensus seem to be they are hard done by. Sorry about that, but the needs of he many outweigh the needs of the few.

Seeing we cannot agree, I will bow out

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:04   #18
God Member

Vehicle exhaust fumes are more damaging to health than the smoke from burning leaves.

I wish that the avid anti smokers would include this problem in their programme of action to control the masses.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:21   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Although apparently as far as I know there is no scientific evidence that passive smoking has killed anyone, if you know different then fair enough.

Roy Castle never smoked in his life, but spent most of his working life in smoky clubs and cabaret places. He died of lung cancer....the kind of cancer that smokers get. His lung cancer was attributed to passive smoking.

I think the current ban on smoking in public places, is so that the general public are not exposed to the passive smoke.....so I am sure there must be some scientific evidence to link passive smoking with lung cancer....and the survival rates for lung cancer sufferers are not great.

We make our own choices in life. I do not(nor ever have) smoked, but my father did and my husband did for a15 years of our marriage........I was glad when he gave it up......but I still consider myself to be at risk because of my previous exposure to passive smoke.

Oh, and I do not have a 'holier than thou' attitude. It is just my point of view, as you say, you are adult enough to choose your own vices(if you want to call them that).

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 11-02-2012 at 19:27.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:24   #20
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Vehicle exhaust fumes are more damaging to health than the smoke from burning leaves.

I wish that the avid anti smokers would include this problem in their programme of action to control the masses.
But that's the rub, ciggarettes are not just burning leaves are they, there are 600 different chemicals added to each one.

Old 11-02-2012, 19:25   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
But that's the rib, ciggarettes are not just burning leaves are they, there are 600 different chemicals added to each one.
That's why I roll my own

Old 11-02-2012, 19:28   #22
JFT96

Quote:
That's why I roll my own
Unless you grow and harvest your own tobacco, who's to say what's in yours?
Maybe that's how they are on controlling you?

Old 11-02-2012, 19:33   #23
God Member

Quote:
The same can be said of lettuce

Organic tobacco is still grown by the native tribes of America but it is horrendously expensive and difficult to import - so I take a risk smoking Golden Virginia.

After all, my diet is completely organic, so a little toxicity can be coped with

Old 11-02-2012, 20:10   #24
God Member

Quote:
That's why I roll my own
Me too ... I think I'll spark one up right now
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:41   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
That's why I roll my own
Most of the chemicals that harm are in the cigarette papers, we once had a fire at a firm in Ramsbottom that made cigarette papers, for most of the big manufacturers, Saltpeter was one of the main ingredients, keeps the fag lit when your not drawing on it. Best thing if you have to smoke, is get a pipe, preferably a Falcon, they trap most of the tars in the bowl.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-02-2012 at 20:43.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:42   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Most of the chemicals that harm are in the cigarete papers, we once had a fire at a firm in Ramsbottom that made cigarete papers, for most of the big manufacturers, Saltpeter was one of the main ingredients, keeps the fag lit when your not drawing on it. Best thing if you have to smoke, is get a pipe, preferably a Falcon, they trap most of the tars in the bowl.
A pipe would suit MargaretR.
Old 11-02-2012, 20:51   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
A pipe would suit MargaretR.
I have noticed that roll ups go out easily if you don't draw on them so maybe roll up papers aren't impregnated.

Cig manufacturers have developed devious ways to make them burn fast, so you smoke more.

As for a pipe - I do use a cigarette holder which needs a pipe cleaner to get the tar out, so I'm almost there aren't I?

I wouldn't have any qualms about using a pipe - they are just more difficult to clean than a cig holder.

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-02-2012 at 20:53.
Old 11-02-2012, 20:52   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Tried growing tobacco, thats easy, its the curing, drying, & treating thats the hard part, takes weeks, then you have to let it rest to get the flavours right.
Sailors on the old sailing ships used to by the cured leaves, then layer alternate leaves with molasses, sprinkle with rum, roll it as tight as possible, then whip it with strong cord, like the whipping on rope ends, when its ready it looks like black twist.
I pressed mine in a block, using a vice as a press.

Retlaw.
Old 11-02-2012, 20:58   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
I have noticed that roll ups go out easily if you don't draw on them so maybe roll up papers aren't impregnated.

Cig manufacturers have developed devious ways to make them burn fast, so you smoke more.

As for a pipe - I do use a cigarette holder which needs a pipe cleaner to get the tar out, so I'm almost there aren't I?

I wouldn't have any qualms about using a pipe - they are just more difficult to clean than a cig holder.
One of the reasons why roll ups go out, is that tobacco is damper than tailor made fags.
Pipes are not difficult to maintain.
Retlaw.
Old 11-02-2012, 21:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'm beginning to think you ain't no fun, why do folk such as yourself join a site just to be, and spread your own form of misery?

Please prove me wrong, don't jump straight back on this post telling me how insulted you are.

There is a place called anything goes, start a thread in there to prove you have some humour in you.
Sorry Less, I just wanted to get my point across, I wasn't trying to spread misery and I'm not insulted. I think I've said this before on this site, you can discuss things face to face and get your point across, but when it's just words I've realised that you tend to come across completely differently! I can assure you I'm one of the most easy going people you could meet, but I obviously have very strong personal opinions which might come across as OTT when written down!
But my opinions in this case do stand!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..