Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 00:10   #31
God Member

Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

well my issue is how the government has gone overkill with the new rule not pros and cons of smoking.

the tax and revenue argument wont hold up long because the government are increasing revenue on other things such as fuel to make up for lost revenue made from tobbacco.

People dont actually think the government will sit by and loose all that revenue do they ?

If anything hiding ciggarettes behind a screen only draws attention to them and in some cases the more you tell some people not to do something the cooler it becomes to do it.

people know what can happen if you start smoking but they do it just as people take drugs despite been told what can happen.People will regardless of what you say and people wont its how things work.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I have been planning for many years to call around to your place just to upset you, but if you're anti smoking, (rather than an ex smoker), we have nothing in common, I'd rather spend my time with a Tory.
Can't help with the tory bit Less don't spend any time with them now myself, Although I'm anti smoking (for obvious reasons) in as much I would rather people didn't smoke, especially kids, because of the damage to their own health, but each to his own and If you want to smoke cart on mate, the only thing is its a no smoking zone in my gaff
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That's why I roll my own
Can you roll um with one hand Margaret
Old 17-02-2012, 16:33   #34
God Member

We all know that politicians lie as a matter of course, they cannot help themselves. We know too that the NHS and the medical profession are not always as familiar with the truth as we might wish them to be. And we certainly know that Academics can be selective enough with facts and statistics as to make black appear to be white when in actual fact it is green.

Given all that we know about the main sources of anti-smoking propaganda and legislation, why are we so eager to believe anything they say on the subject of smoking?

Take a moment to think. Put aside the stuff on the internet and in academic reports and newspaper stories, it comes from tainted sources, rather look at your own experience to find the truth. Smoking kills the people who smoke, no one can argue with that, and no one is arguing with it.

But can you honestly say that someone you knew personally, fell ill with cancer and died as a result of passive smoking?
Old 17-02-2012, 16:48   #35
God Member

And another thing, if the government and the health fascists are so concerned about us dying before our time from cancer, why are they not screaming from the rooftops about the effects of Bisphenol A? A nasty chemical that one, it is contained in a range of plastics used in the home and in food packaging and till receipts. It gets on your hands from handling stuff that contains it, it leeches into the food contained in packaging made with it and you ingest it, and then you die from an alarming number of different sorts of cancer.
Want to know why breast cancer is increasing - Bisphenol A in food
Want to know why testicular cancer is increasing - Bisphenol A in food
Want to know why your kids have neuroblastoma - Bisphenol A in food
Want to know why the incidence of ovarian cancer is so high -Bisphenol A in food
Same goes for prostate cancer, heart disease and diabetes, to name but a few.

Now try and convince me that the government, the NHS, and the health fascists and academics have got anything right at all.
Old 17-02-2012, 17:38   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
And another thing, if the government and the health fascists are so concerned about us dying before our time from cancer, why are they not screaming from the rooftops about the effects of Bisphenol A? A nasty chemical that one, it is contained in a range of plastics used in the home and in food packaging and till receipts. It gets on your hands from handling stuff that contains it, it leeches into the food contained in packaging made with it and you ingest it, and then you die from an alarming number of different sorts of cancer.
Want to know why breast cancer is increasing - Bisphenol A in food
Want to know why testicular cancer is increasing - Bisphenol A in food
Want to know why your kids have neuroblastoma - Bisphenol A in food
Want to know why the incidence of ovarian cancer is so high -Bisphenol A in food
Same goes for prostate cancer, heart disease and diabetes, to name but a few.

Now try and convince me that the government, the NHS, and the health fascists and academics have got anything right at all.
Well leave out the Government and I'm still here
Old 17-02-2012, 17:51   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
After you initial alarm, the next step is to consider whether this corruption of food is deliberate.

It is more logical to conclude it to be deliberate, since incompetance amongst 'experts' cannot be so prevalent statisticly.

The next stage of deliberation is 'why'?

That takes very lttle mindpower - 'follow the money' to Monsanto and pharmacutical companies.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:56   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
That's why I roll my own
This from the woman who claims to be sensitive/allergic to more or less everything.

Roll your own cigarettes are not the safer option
Research using roll-up cigarettes made by smokers, shows that the levels of nicotine and cancer-causing chemicals inhaled are often higher than those from bought cigarettes. RYO cigarettes are more likely to cause mouth, throat and lung cancer as well as lung diseases such as emphysema and heart disease.

I must now conclude that MargaretR is not the harmless old eccentric I once supposed but an authentic, all-out, full-blown barmpot.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:59   #39
Senior Member+

:rofl38
Old 17-02-2012, 21:12   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
This from the woman who claims to be sensitive/allergic to more or less everything.

Roll your own cigarettes are not the safer option
Research using roll-up cigarettes made by smokers, shows that the levels of nicotine and cancer-causing chemicals inhaled are often higher than those from bought cigarettes. RYO cigarettes are more likely to cause mouth, throat and lung cancer as well as lung diseases such as emphysema and heart disease.

I must now conclude that MargaretR is not the harmless old eccentric I once supposed but an authentic, all-out, full-blown barmpot.
I never claimed to be sensitive 'to almost everything' - though I admit to developing an aversion to you

Odours containing products derived from petrochemicals give me adverse reactions. You display a lack of understanding of the condition - most people do.

Incidentally the condition is gaining recognition now that it is part of 'Gulf War Syndrome' - how's about that then - and me a pacifist and all !

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 21:20   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I never claimed to be sensitive 'to almost everything' - though I admit to developing an aversion to you

Odours containing products derived from petrochemicals give me adverse reactions. You display a lack of understanding of the condition - most people do.

Incidentally the condition is gaining recognition now that it is part of 'Gulf War Syndrome' - how's about that then - and me a pacifist and all !
I know where you're coming from on this one Margaret. Any toiletries or cleaners containing a scent are banned in our house along with any perfumes apart from natural plant oils. Walking down the street near someone who is wearing a strong perfume is torture and air fresheners should be banned.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 21:23   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I know where you're coming from on this one Margaret. Any toiletries or cleaners containing a scent are banned in our house along with any perfumes apart from natural plant oils. Walking down the street near someone who is wearing a strong perfume is torture and air fresheners should be banned.
Likewise.

The lady behind the counter at the Asda cigarette counter told me she kept trapping her fingers in the sliding doors..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:41   #43

It smacks a bit of hypocrisy that the only bar in the country in which you are able to smoke is in the House of Commons!
is this true ?
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 23:09   #44
God Member

It's a stupid idea...I doubt anyone who smokes will stop or even cut down because of these restrictions and I don't believe anyone would start smoking just because they are on display... next year the local shops have will not be able to display fags...smokers may just as well find some local smuggler who will show the cigs for sale at cheaper prices.

Last edited by Mancie; 17-02-2012 at 23:17.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 04:05   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well leave out the Government and I'm still here
Sorry, jay, I don't understand that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..