Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 21:52   #61
Senior Member+

Wink Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I'm sure the lady at Asda told me legislation was coming in in April, and Asda were doing it early so that they got things right for that month, as there are certain rules laid down by the Goverment. Sorta' practice runs.
They've just started doing it in Sainsbury's lately and it looks daft! Surely people are going to say "What's behind those screens?"

The reply will be "Cigarettes!" Then they will say "I'll have 20!" Because it's not going to stop people smoking just make them more inquisitive as to what is there behind the screens!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2012, 22:01   #62
God Member

Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

I've smoked since I was 13 maybe 14..and I would not recommend it to anyone..the government say this will deter young people from smoking.. but I can't say the display of cigarettes had any influence on me smoking.. in fact the taboo and having a secret smoke probably made it more attractive.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 22:25   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I've smoked since I was 13 maybe 14..and I would not recommend it to anyone..the government say this will deter young people from smoking.. but I can't say the display of cigarettes had any influence on me smoking.. in fact the taboo and having a secret smoke probably made it more attractive.
I thought the same having smoked since 12/13 used to ask blokes to go in n get separates. they been hiding em behind screens at Tesco fer couple of weeks now, I think theres nowt more alluring to a kid to say "Don't" or yeh "Can't" least it always was in my case.
Old 07-04-2012, 00:49   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I thought the same having smoked since 12/13 used to ask blokes to go in n get separates. they been hiding em behind screens at Tesco fer couple of weeks now, I think theres nowt more alluring to a kid to say "Don't" or yeh "Can't" least it always was in my case.
I stopped smoking 3 years ago now. Agree I don't think seeing fags on display is why people start smoking. We start because 1) we see our parents smoking. 2) We see people at school smoking who we hang round with. I don't know what it's like now at schools but back in the day a good 50 or more kids were round the back of the science blocks smoking fags at break time - is it still the same?
Kids will see the screens and ask "what are they for!"

Only way would be to ban all cigarette selling in shops and have special mail order deliveries direct to houses!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46   #65
Senior Member+

The guy in morrisons told me that it is going to be the same for alcohol soon
Old 07-04-2012, 01:51   #66

They have gone to far with this on smokeing now i do smoke but i don,t drink but there is nothing said on that is there.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38   #67

I don't really understand the logic behind this because it is illegal to sell cigarettes to under eighteen year olds, so having them hidden from view should have no effect on preventing young people from buying them. Under eighteens don't buy their cigarettes from supermarkets in any case. Also most supermarkets have the prove you're twenty five rule, where if you look under age you have to prove you're twenty five for some reason when buying both cigarettes and alcohol.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I thought the same having smoked since 12/13 used to ask blokes to go in n get separates. they been hiding em behind screens at Tesco fer couple of weeks now, I think there's nowt more alluring to a kid to say "Don't" or yeh "Can't" least it always was in my case.
Well reading Mancies quoted post, I agree with both of you, its a load of tosh, as was the total smoking ban and I'm a none smoker. I started smoking when I was 14 (gave up 34 years ago)a willie woodbine and two matches for a penny from a little grocers shop on Market Street, they didn't actually advertise this little business enterprise, but they did a roaring trade
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
The guy in morrisons told me that it is going to be the same for alcohol soon
I doubt it - what is the point of having covers down the booze aisle? That would mean every shop containing alchohol would be covered in white sheets!
Old 07-04-2012, 13:48   #70
Senior Member+

What is going to happen when an assistant gets their fingers trapped in the sliding doors?
Old 07-04-2012, 14:30   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
What is going to happen when an assistant gets their fingers trapped in the sliding doors?
Com-pen-sa-tion will be setting in Barrie
Old 07-04-2012, 14:36   #72
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Fags, Booze ...... Can you still get Lads Mags ? Or are they closeted away somewhere too ? Just a query mind
Old 07-04-2012, 14:45   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Fags, Booze ...... Can you still get Lads Mags ? Or are they closeted away somewhere too ? Just a query mind
i think you already know.......you are just kidding us
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 14:50   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Were always on the top shelf Dave still are I think, but haven't the inclination to bother looking these days
Old 07-04-2012, 14:57   #75
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Were always on the top shelf Dave still are I think, but haven't the inclination to bother looking these days
Aye, many moons ago I'd have a quick shufty along the shelves to see what was on offer, only problem was it'd give me a stiff neck ............. at first

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..