Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 22:16   #46
God Member

Re: Cameron on state multiculturalism.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. He said nothing that any citizen of the United Kingdom could object to. He merely affirms the values that all British citizens should reasonably be expected to hold. He's talking nothing more radical than tolerance, and respect for democracy and the rule of law .... maybe hinting at the separation of church and state, but even that can't be considered radical or inflaming. Doesn't even come close to what the Premier of Quebec lays down for new immigrants and minority communities, particularly muslims.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2011, 22:47   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Funny how none of the opposition soldiers have yet commented on this?? to me its one of the reasons the election was lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I quite agree.
Could be wrong but the impression i get,is the locals think keep stum,as its not a local issue! well if so i got news fer em, i know many local people who regard things like this as summat that really matters, so if they think silence is golden- wake up n smell the coffee.
Old 05-02-2011, 23:04   #48
Super Moderator

I reckon they don't say anything because like all progressive, liberal leftwingers they totally disagree with what Cameron said...but they daren't actually say that, as it could lose them votes at the next local elections
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 23:21   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I reckon they don't say anything because like all progressive, liberal leftwingers they totally disagree with what Cameron said...but they daren't actually say that, as it could lose them votes at the next local elections
that i think may be near the mark, foolish though cos stony silence i think may lose more.
Old 05-02-2011, 23:28   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...but they daren't actually say that, as it could lose them votes at the next local elections

Which ironically, keeping silent, will lose them even more votes.

Odd bunch.

Loving the sound of their own voices, normally.

Yet when leadership is actually needed, quieter than Marcel Marceau, playing musical statues.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 23:35   #51
Super Moderator

Problem for 'em is, they're caught between a rock and a hard place. They can say what they really think...that Cameron's views are Islamophobic and divisive etc etc, and all the other stuff that you'll see in the leftwing press over the next few days, or they can do what they usually do...studiously avoid these threads and hope it all goes away.
Old 05-02-2011, 23:45   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
They can say what they really think...that Cameron's views are Islamophobic and divisive etc
Plus many would argue that they were wrong, if that was their conclusion, including me.

My parents raised us to always speak up, if we believed something to be true, and that it was cowardly to remain silent.

Debate's healthy.

Silence isn't golden.

Old 05-02-2011, 23:49   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
like all progressive, liberal leftwingers
To be fair, until today, the silence has been deafening from the all new, caring/sharing right too.

Old 05-02-2011, 23:50   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Plus many would argue that they were wrong, if that was their conclusion, including me.

My parents raised us to always speak up, if we believed something to be true, and that it was cowardly to remain silent.

Debate's healthy.

Silence isn't golden.
was brought up the same way, perhaps its outa fashion?
Old 05-02-2011, 23:58   #55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Debate's healthy.
Exactly...so far everyone on this thread has been in broad agreement that Cameron was right to say what he said. However, there are plenty of Labour politicians and others on the left who will disagree with him. I'd genuinely like to hear their views, as it makes for a more interesting debate.

Unfortunately the only person who might make such views public is Mancie...but then again, he can say what he wants, as he's no votes to lose.
Old 06-02-2011, 00:04   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Exactly...so far everyone on this thread has been in broad agreement that Cameron was right to say what he said. However, there are plenty of Labour politicians and others on the left who will disagree with him. I'd genuinely like to hear their views, as it makes for a more interesting debate.

Unfortunately the only person who might make such views public is Mancie...but then again, he can say what he wants, as he's no votes to lose.
There are plenty in the new, carry/sharing, hug-a-hoodie Tory Lites who'll probably disagree with what Cameron said, including members of his own cabinet.

Let's hear 'em all say what they really think, for a change.

Old 06-02-2011, 00:08   #57
Super Moderator

Quote:
There are plenty in the new, carry/sharing, hug-a-hoodie Tory Lites who'll probably disagree with what Cameron said, including members of his own cabinet.

Let's hear 'em all say what they really think, for a change.
Probably, but I'm talking about Accyweb politicos...and, as we all know, Tories are somewhat scarce on here, caring/sharing or otherwise!
Old 06-02-2011, 00:14   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Tories are somewhat scarce on here, caring/sharing or otherwise!
There's actually quite a few Conservative councillors post on here.

Nearly as many as th'opposition.

Though I wouldn't like to say how much they either care, or share.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:06   #59
God Member

Didn't Angela Merkal say the same thing months ago ... seems its "a case of Monkey see Monkey do" only this time from a Munich beer hall/Conference Center instead of the Reichstag
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57   #60
God Member

A Labour politician did speak about what Cameron said..

"Sadiq Khan, a prominent Muslim Labour MP, accused the PM of “writing propaganda for the EDL”."

David Cameron accused of far-right propaganda by saying UK too tolerant of extreme Muslim beliefs - mirror.co.uk

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..