Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42   #1
Give, give, give member

Cameron on state multiculturalism.

A genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them," Mr Cameron will say.

"Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality.

"It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things.

"Each of us in our own countries must be unambiguous and hard-nosed about this defence of our liberty."

He will say that under the "doctrine of state multiculturalism", different cultures have been encouraged to live separate lives.

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong. We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values."
BBC News - State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

Genuinely shocked.

At last.

A politican who appears to have grown a pair, and who seems intent on facing up to this issue, which is a great worry for many people. A subject treated by most politicans as being untouchable.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2011, 08:31   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Cameron on state multiculturalism.

It is a refreshing change, but I will wait, because so far it is only words.......this topic needs action.....and urgent action. I am not sure that the pair he has grown, will give him the testosterone required to make the leap from words to actions.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
A genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them," Mr Cameron will say.

"Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality.

"It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things.

"Each of us in our own countries must be unambiguous and hard-nosed about this defence of our liberty."

He will say that under the "doctrine of state multiculturalism", different cultures have been encouraged to live separate lives.

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong. We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values."
BBC News - State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

Genuinely shocked.

At last.

A politican who appears to have grown a pair, and who seems intent on facing up to this issue, which is a great worry for many people. A subject treated by most politicans as being untouchable.
Can't fault what he is saying G but will the dogooding Guardianist's also take this on board, doubt Pole Dance Polly will be jumping up and down screaming his praises
Old 05-02-2011, 08:44   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is a refreshing change, but I will wait, because so far it is only words.......this topic needs action.....and urgent action. I am not sure that the pair he has grown, will give him the testosterone required to make the leap from words to actions.
'Mr Cameron suggested there would be greater scrutiny of some Muslim groups that get public money but do little to tackle extremism.'

'Ministers should refuse to share platforms or engage with such groups, which should be denied access to public funds and barred from spreading their message in universities and prisons, he argued.'

It's a start, and certainly better than the deafening silence, most politicans have been happy with.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:15   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Mr Cameron suggested there would be greater scrutiny of some Muslim groups that get public money but do little to tackle extremism.'

'Ministers should refuse to share platforms or engage with such groups, which should be denied access to public funds and barred from spreading their message in universities and prisons, he argued.'

It's a start, and certainly better than the deafening silence, most politicans have been happy with.
Spot on G, the first place to start when it comes to funding is the National Lottery, which seems to like fund weird groups at the expense of charities such as the Blind Society
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18   #6
God Member

i reserve judgement till i see if he follows what he says, or it will it be another case of icant do that because its against the law
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
i reserve judgement till i see if he follows what he says, or it will it be another case of icant do that because its against the law
As stated, it's a start.

At least someone has realised dialogue should be started about this problem.

Withdrawing state funding from organisations who perpetuate separatism, is more than talk.

Thirteen years, and three consequtive governments were quite happy with the status quo, and were too afraid to tackle the issue.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:36   #8
Beacon of light

my worry(if you can call it that) is that this may be just one of those 'sound bites' that Tony Blair was so fond of.......it is what he thinks the electorate want to hear.......and then it will be followed up by more sound bites, none of which do anything.

Is what he is proposing do-able? Well, he could always make a bigger step and take us out of the EHR fiasco.......this would show that he means what he says.....failing that, it is just words, which can be blown away like chaff in the wind.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
my worry(if you can call it that) is that this may be just one of those 'sound bites' that Tony Blair was so fond of.......it is what he thinks the electorate want to hear.......and then it will be followed up by more sound bites, none of which do anything.

Is what he is proposing do-able? Well, he could always make a bigger step and take us out of the EHR fiasco.......this would show that he means what he says.....failing that, it is just words, which can be blown away like chaff in the wind.
You might be right.

It might be empty rhetoric.

But the fact remains, no leader of any mainstream political party has even talked publicly about any of these issues.

Ever.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:40   #10
Beacon of light

already the Muslim groups are howling racism.

It would be good if muslim people, would stand up and be counted when atrocities which involve muslim extemism occur, but it doesn't happen...this lends the feeling that they are complicit with what is happening.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
already the Muslim groups are howling racism.
Probably soon to be joined by the wooly liberal elite. Many of whom have profited from state funded separatism.

I've read many reports in today's news, and haven't seen one single thing that could be defined as racist, or more properly, anti-Islamic.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:46   #12
God Member

Quote:

agree with you there how or who is going to judge if they are linked to extremists,then there is the race relations act they need to get round the equality law to get round etc.hes already been encouraging faith schools so he already has been doing the oppsite
Old 05-02-2011, 09:48   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Pretty easy to "Talk The Talk" much harder to "Walk The Walk" i will see if he delivers, have me doubts, very large doubts.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Pretty easy to "Talk The Talk" much harder to "Walk The Walk" i will see if he delivers, have me doubts, very large doubts.
Like I replied to Margaret, you might be right.

The fact remains he said it.

No one else has.

Remember weasley Jack Straw on the Nick Griffin Question Time?

Three times Dimbleby asked the former Home Secretary if Labour party policy could in any way be responsible for the rise in support for extremist political parties.

Three questions completely ignored.

Silence.

At least Cameron has brought this issue into the public arena.

Last edited by garinda; 05-02-2011 at 09:57.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13   #15
God Member

I expect he will be backpedalling on this issue inside a week (even if he may well be right on this issue).
He does seem to have a tendancy to impetuous rhetoric.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..